NWN2 3 Shadow Reavers

Neverwinter Nights 2

Danicek

Sentinel
I've just (few hours ago) encountered group of 3 Shadow Reavers. There are standing there waiting for me (I think I must be close to the end). I'd already killed 3 of them before, one at a time. These were difficult fights but doable. This one seems to be different as there are three of them.

I have yet to find a way to defeat them (~2 hours long try and die). I've tried all spells/potions I have to boost stats of my group. No luck, my melee fighters simply die to fast to allow those two with true names to recite them.

So far I've been able to kill only one of them before dying. If I were able to kill at least two of them, I would think this could be doable with bit more luck. But I had hardly time to defeat one.

Any special tip/hint I could use to make this easier?

I do remember the fight, and one tactic that helped. I had the ones who were reciting the names to issue a command of guard me before they started. It seemed to keep him alive longer. It was a hard battle for sure up to this point. If you find you are not winning now may be the time to see about leaving and doing any sidequests you have left for an extra level. ;)

It is definitely a rough fight. I had my two reciters on puppet mode/stand your ground, sited as far away from the damage areas as possible, buffed them to the max, and returned to them constantly to make sure they were reciting and on target. (Seems like they would stop reciting if the target Reaver moved too far or something) One of them(the cleric) usually died anyway, but by that time I had two of the baddies down. It still took me three or four tries. Potions, scrolls of protection, any kind of edge is really helpful. And that was on normal.:sweatdrop:
Good luck!

So this did work. Putting my two true names teller in puppet mode and guiding them far enough from the battle just to be able to recite them and putting my two main melee fighters in fight with one of the two reavers being targeted. Luckily the third reaver was far away, only casting spell from time to time. I had luck. Did the third one decided to attack us more closely, I would have been in big troubles.

Grats! I personally thought it one of the few stratigical fights in the game that made me use a few brain cells. :lol:

Yes, I enjoyed the end of the game fights the most, even though there was a lot of rush and pressure. You had to use all the skills and spells and npcs to good purpose and like CM said, even a few brain cells as well. :)

Well, the other fight just following this one is giving me even harder time. The Garius is really difficult to fight with. He summons extra strong creatures which I seem to be unable to unsummon even with my very strong spells. And few of my companions joined him (actually two - Neeshka and the girl from academy (forgot the name)). I managed to persuade Bishop to leave the place (joining no one) and all the other fight at my side.

I will see what I can do. I think this is one of the last fights so I would hate to give up this late in the game.

You are nearly at the end Danny, let us know how you managed to get out of it once you finish. ;)

I'm really having hard time with this fight against Garius. I have not been successful so far. I'm trying every other day for around half an hour. I have even started Jade Empire because of the boredom of going through the same fight again and again (and I very rarely play too games at once). So I basically try three or four times and than switch to Jade Empire to have some real gameplay.

And few of my companions joined him (actually two - Neeshka and the girl from academy (forgot the name)). I managed to persuade Bishop to leave the place (joining no one) and all the other fight at my side.

Thanks, I didn't know that yet. ;)

Anyway, I'm stuck at those three Shadow Reavers as well. Whole game has been relatively easy up until this point. I have no problem with casting the True Names scroll, just moved Jerro (Zjaeve won't accept the scroll :() way back. The problem is I can't take more than one of them down, I just can't do enough damage. Every round they cast an unknown spell that knocks down all my melee guys and restores their health to max, which means I have to get enough damage in in a single round to kill them (mostly from magic users throwing everything they got at them from a distance), and whatever I try, I can't do more damage than about half their hitpoints. Also, I can knock them down, but they still cast that spell while knocked down.

I seem to remember that a Shadow Reaver on his back isn't in much shape to do anything other than try to get up again where your tanks are ready to mow them down again while the scroll readers are chanting away ;)

Oh and don't waste energy on trying to hurt them until the True Name has been read. Instead focus on keeping them distracted so that they won't interrupt the name sayers' chanting.

Thanks, that made me look around and I just read this: "If you don’t activate the scroll, then the reaver will heal itself every time you knock it down to 50% health, and the battle will never end (at least not in a good way)," so perhaps that's what's happening. I guess the True Names reciting wasn't completed while I thought it did...tss, I'll try again later.

I just finished this game today. Took a few tries to get through these three Shadow Reavers. Did what I've done on a couple of earlier battles and it proved quite easy in the end. I just parked my crew in the room before this one. Then I ran down to the Shadow Reavers to activate them. Led them one by one to the next room and had a couple of guys pound on them in the lower walk way. While they were doing that I used the true name scroll from a distance. Took out two this way easy enough. The third one never moved from it's spot. So by walking into the room, but not down to it I was able to hit it with the true name scroll and finish it off easy enough.

For some reason I was able to breeze right through the final battles. Everyone else got beaten down and it was just my character - dwarf fighter, frenzied berzerker, member of the nine, Khelgar and Neeshka who finished everything off with no problems.

Just curious... Not sure if it was just my character, but the Sword of Gish seemed pretty useless to me. Once I ditched it and went back the my greatsword I was taking down baddies just as fast as Khelgar the monk was.

It is only really useful as an offhand weapon - it will give you full bonus as a small weapon (short swords and similar), yet do damage like a medium one. It also gives a lot of passive buffs. If you want to kill stuff fast there are many better weapons in the game than the gith sword, but it is required to finish the game as the final boss can't be beaten without it (his portal thingy must be killed with the sword).

As for the 3 Reavers - never had a problem with this fight, they do so little damage it's possible to keep fighting for 10 minuttes with a decent healer in the party (and, if I recall correctly, you can't do this temple without taking along Zhjaeve or whatnot). As for killing them? Just manually control Ammon and have him use the scroll while staying far away from the reavers, and it's easy to pick them down 1 by 1. Don't switch character while reciting the True Name, both Ammon and the githzerai tends to stop reciting then. Either that or place them on puppet mode.

It's not the weapon or level

it's the same thing that I used for earlier fights that were tough for me (yes, some of the earlier fights were tough for me). The fights that are tough tend to be the ones where I don't pay attention and people are paralyzed or worse yet, staring into space because I forgot to switch them from puppet mode.

It's really not a spoiler, more of an exploitation of the space bar.

And one important command: Hold. But usually I find everyone moves around, so the trick is to pick the first person you want to move, then say "Hold" then go to the next, and have them say Hold then move them. Make sure you keep saying Hold before you move the next person. That way, I could get set up so that my name sayers were away from the action.

And yes, I did find the Rod that Nasher gave helpful, as well as the ability to exchange items when dead and far away :)

So you registered to reply on a thread from EIGHT years ago?:roll:

Well its was a good way to necro a very old thread.;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom