Fallout 3 - Headed to Xbox 360?

Isn't that 42??!! :)
That's the answer, not the question.

Like many others: An Oblivion with guns, is what I'm expecting, thanks to Bethesda's own statements.

An Oblivion with guns, is what I'm expecting, thanks to Bethesda's own statements.

Post-Apoc Oblivion with guns, of course ;)

Question: if that is the case, and the story and characters are really excellent - and you get to make choices WITH *consequences* ... how would you feel?

Fallout 3 headed to the XBox 360? Was there ever any doubt at all?

"Question: if that is the case, and the story and characters are really excellent - and you get to make choices WITH *consequences* ... how would you feel?"

well in regards to how i would feel it's hard to say but if those feature were all that connected FO3 with the previous installments then i may well enjoy the game as a PA crpg (and even part of the fallout universe if lore and such are kept intact) although whether i would "feel" it to be Fallout 3 would be up for debate

I'm not overly optomistic about this game, but I am holding out a ray of hope that it will at least be enjoyable on some level. Oblivion was one of the most ambitious games that I have ever seen, so the one thing that you can't say about Bethesda is that they don't put effort into things. I hope that Bethesda approaches the game with the philosophy that focuses on depth more than breadth. That's sort of what the series has always been about.

Post-Apoc Oblivion with guns, of course ;)

Question: if that is the case, and the story and characters are really excellent - and you get to make choices WITH *consequences* ... how would you feel?

Taking into consideration that I am not a total Fallout fan, but did play and enjoy Fallout 2:

IF they retained or even based their char leveling on the skill system of perks-which was unique in my mind to FO, IF they provided excellent NPC interaction and dialogue based play, IF they at least implemented a pause and play combat system(I know TB is out) and finally, IF they were able to create a dark atmosphere of disintegration and apocolyptic mayhem, then I would feel that they at least tried to make a Fallout successor. If they also added the black humor and cynicism, I would then say they did well.

That's a lot of big IF's.;)

All the things that made Fallout and the sequel great games in my point of view is just about all the things that Bethesda do NOT master (dialogue, character personality, strategic gameplay, etc).

FYI before morrowind bethesda made a game called Redguard that was praised for dialogue and character personality.

Gamespot snippets:
"The excellent story"
"Each NPC has a distinct personality and conversational style, and that helps convey a sense of immersion in the gameworld. The dialogue is well written, with a few conversational gems here and there."

No need to get hysterical yet, ladies. ;)

Whose hysterical? We're merely concerned!! The track record isn't good in our areas of concern, that's all!!

Fallout was one of the few games that offered true roleplaying. That such a licence would fall into the hands of Beth is most unfortunate. People forget that Arena+Daggerfall were made by different programmers than Morrowind+Oblivion. As someone else put it the latest Beth games are not even linear. They are point. The same point repeated over and over again.

The problem is Bethseda's thinking and quest lines are linear and then they use Charm Spells on fans to trick most gamers into believing their games they have choices since they have open explorable worlds. ;)

OEWs are very nice to have in a game but if the quality of writing is inaine as in obflibion where the same actors lines are constantly repeated by 10s if not 100s of NPCs, not to mention there are not choices of concquence in 90%+ of their quests, seems pretty low bar for RPGs.

Even a game like Sacred had an OEW but didn't try to hide it was an Action/RPG, though I can't remember atm if they had choices of concequence which would actually put them above obflibion on the RPG quality scale. :)

Hey if bethseda actually hires someone cappble of writing an RPG, I will be in the crowd cheering.
It's possible they could write an RPG but seems highly unlikely and I am not sure they even care too, since they apparently can convence game reviewers and players of anything they or the PR department want them to believe. :)

I'll say this if they can pull of Shimmering Isles as an RPG it would be a sign they can do it and they have hired afaik some Fallout/Fallout 2 team members, if they did that's certianly a plus as well. :)

Arena and Daggerfall were not the pinnacle of RPG excellence that some people try to make them out to be.

Indeed they are not. In fact, they're not RPGs at all, and had one of the worst combat system EVAH. If those two games were where TES is at now, I'd not be more pleased about their competence, 'cept that I would know they're loyal to their series, rather than showing a capability of disdaining franchises and fans.

Hey if bethseda actually hires someone cappble of writing an RPG, I will be in the crowd cheering.

Don't hold your hopes up. The list of ex-Fallout devs that Bethesda hired is shorter than the list of people that hate the Fallout community (Shadowstrider) that they hired.

I'm mostly worried of the same thing like corwin. Can benthesa make memorable npcs? Can they write stunning dialog? Can they write quests that have choises and real consequences? If not, the game is doomed to be a failure. Combat and other things are only trivial if it falls short in basics.

How are combat and other things trivial? They are the mechanics of the game and what you spend most of your time doing. Are you saying that gameplay doesn't matter? In that case, then Bethesda should just make a screensaver or a card battle game.

And let's face it, it's not like the previous Fallouts had great plots or dialog most of the time.

Heresy!! The previous Fallouts had excellent stories and some of the best dialogue in any game!! Those plus original NPC's, MADE the series. Unfortunately, they are not Beth's strengths!!

Well its a matter of an opinion. :) However I didn't mean that game mechanics don't have any weight. Ofcourse they do! But at the end in a roleplaying game storyelements must come first! I want to explore and feel like i'm in a whole different world. I want game's npcs and plotline to make FEEL something! Give me a reason why I'm slaying hordes of monsters. :)

Back
Top Bottom