Fallout 3 - Windows Live Removed

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The Escapist Magazine has news that Bethesda will be removing Windows Live from Fallout 3. This shouldn't be a surprise as the service will be shutting down.

Fallout 3, Bethesda's open-world post-apocolyptic RPG, has recently had several strings pertaining to its Games for Windows Live functionality removed, according to the folks over at Neogaf.

Games for Windows Live has been dying a slow and agonizing death. The service, which was never really very popular from the start, saw several games abandon it last year before Microsoft finally threw up its hands and said "I give up".

With Fallout 3 set to have its GFWL functionality removed, it doesn't leave too many more games that rely on the service. Games that relied on the service as their sole point-of-sale, such as Gears of War and Halo 2, dissapeared for sale forever when the service shut down.
More information.

Excellent news! I really should play another game of F3, it's been years. I'm sure there are some new mods, I need to try.

It's about time!
When I played FO3 this was not allowing me to purchase any DLC because I am living in a foreign country and independent of the language version I had, they only allowed me to get the DLC in a language I didn't understand. In addition this results in having situations in the game where you have 4 dialogue options, 3 of them in language A, 1 in language B.
Wasn't aware that Windows live was still active.

What will GFWL be replaced by? Is it going to be DRM free, or are they going to Steam it (in which case they will have to do what WB did with the Batman games and give Steam codes to activate retail versions on Steam).

I hope they will put a patch to make it DRM free, although I doubt Bethesda will do that and loose the Steam revenue.

What will happen to other games such as Dark Souls which make use of Windows Live?

What will happen to other games such as Dark Souls which make use of Windows Live?

Judging by From Software's history in patching up and supporting their poor ports (which is none), then I would expect it would be up to the modders to remove GFWL, but that leaves the network functionality which is integrated within the game - that would need a whole netcode re-work if they want to put it on Steam!

Dark Souls seems to be unknown at this time. I bought on steam last week with the sale, wish I had not, a console/controller is really needed. Trying to get a refund from steam, I really do not thing this will happen, but I am trying.

Judging by From Software's history in patching up and supporting their poor ports (which is none), then I would expect it would be up to the modders to remove GFWL, but that leaves the network functionality which is integrated within the game - that would need a whole netcode re-work if they want to put it on Steam!

Hmm, yeah, that's a good point. I guess Dark Souls needs to be bumped up in priority on my backlog list.

That's a good question that needs to be answered from the developers of the games that still haven't removed GFWL from their games.

At worst you will only lose your DLC, and can't play online. I remember GFWL allows you to play with an off-line profile.

One solution will be you may have to use a crack on the games that still use the service. I'll stop there as talking about piracy is frowned upon in the forums.

Last edited:
Considering the tiny level of support given to DS for the PC at release, I doubt anything more will done for DS by the developer if the death of Windows Live breaks DS.

One solution will be you may have to use a crack on the games that still use the service. I'll stop there as talking about piracy is frowned upon in the forums.

It depends; there is a complete guide on the Steam forum on how to get rid of GFWL for Fallout 3 and make it work with Win7 and Win8. This is really for legitimate users.

It depends; there is a complete guide on the Steam forum on how to get rid of GFWL for Fallout 3 and make it work with Win7 and Win8. This is really for legitimate users.
It's a fake xlive file that I used when I bought a physical box of Fallout 3 five years ago. It allowed my game to actually play better back then.

You still can't play multiplayer on any game if you use it. The modders webpage had more information on this.

Link-http://timeslip.chorrol.com/

If I remember the nexus also hosted the files.:thinking:

I am glad to see GFWL exorcised (I won't call it a removal) from Fallout 3, though as others have stated it won't be as easy with Dark Souls. I guess they could make a patch to run Dark Souls single player, but then you lose all the network functionality and would only be able to summon NPCs.

One game that I have my doubts about is Dirt 2. It has already been dropped from the Steam catalog, so that is not a good sign for having the GFWL demon cast out.

With the removal of GFWL in Fallout 3, does that mean that save games will be kaput, as in the Batman Arkham games?

Hope Microsoft decides to remove this from Fable III too, I have only 4 GFWL games (Bioshock 2, Fallout 3, Warhammer 40K Dawn of War 2 and Fable III) and is the only game of the 4 which situation is unknown yet

Back
Top Bottom