ActionTrip - 10 Most Influentual RPGs of Our Time

Hehe ... I love all of the contributions and have no clue who to 'quote for truth' ... so consider this a general QUOTE FOR TRUTH!!!

Jeez, the article reads worse and worse each time, and the best thing is to just stop and realize it is pure crap.

What about Dungeon Master? Pool of Radiance? Gold Box series? Bard's Tale (Construction set)? Neverwinter Nights 1?

I don't like "Best of" and "Top 10" articles

I'm missing

Dungeon Master
Wizardry 1
Wasteland
Gold Box

What about Dungeon Master? Pool of Radiance? Gold Box series? Bard's Tale (Construction set)? Neverwinter Nights 1?
Sorry, they couldn't put down their XBOX controller long enough to do any research ... ;)

I don't like "Best of" and "Top 10" articles
Yep, that is the issue ... but this isn't as bad as some ... I'm chafing over a '60 reasons to own a PSP' list right now - being unveiled 5 per article to ensure a constant flow of hits ... some of these sites where the 'bloggers' are paid by the post are really bad ...

I miss Might & Magic on the list

Why? Don't get me wrong. I totally loved MM6 and 7 a whole lot (MM7 was the game that I was the most addicted to ever in my entire gaming life... it was awesome) but what influence did the Might & Magic series have? How many turn-based first-person perspective RPGs with tons of combat did or do we have today? That's right. Zero. Might & Magic did (unfortunately) not have any influence on the RPG genre at all.
Not even back then IIRC since M&M was basically a "clone" of the older Wizardry series and of the early D&D games. In a "most influential" list one should always backtrack and try to find the earliest game(s) that had an influence on other games. I don't see how M&M fulfills that criteria but I have to admit that I started with MM6 and didn't play the earlier games. From what I've heard, they were always considered/described as "Wizardry in a different setting" clones though.
Regardless, the influence of M&M on today's games remains zero.

Regardless, the influence of M&M on today's games remains zero.
Not quite ... don't forget that they named a mediocre kick-spamming action game after it ... so at least the *name* has some cred ...

Some claim Wizardry has been the only influence on open RPGs, but forget to credit the M&M series. Huge world, lots of sidequests, lots of combat. Doesn't that formula sound familiar? The entire Elder Scrolls series, the Gothic series, Two Worlds and so on and so forth.

Worth noting, only parts of the series was turnbased, later on you got to choose between combat type. MM6 predates Baldurs Gate with this feature. Even though I suspect the M&M series originally got influenced by Wizardry, I still think the series evolved into something more, and helped influence others later on. M&M6 especially was extremely solid at the time, and one of the best of its kind. With real-time combat, a living world, tons of NPCs and so on and so forth, it's probably the first game to feel similar to Oblivion. Only difference is, in M&M6 you had loads and loads of memorable dungeons (vital to a loot and combat oriented game like this), instead of the mindnumbingly boring ones in Oblivion.

Some claim Wizardry has been the only influence on open RPGs, but forget to credit the M&M series. Huge world, lots of sidequests, lots of combat. Doesn't that formula sound familiar? The entire Elder Scrolls series, the Gothic series, Two Worlds and so on and so forth.

Worth noting, only parts of the series was turnbased, later on you got to choose between combat type. MM6 predates Baldurs Gate with this feature. Even though I suspect the M&M series originally got influenced by Wizardry, I still think the series evolved into something more, and helped influence others later on. M&M6 especially was extremely solid at the time, and one of the best of its kind.

I can fully respect your opinion up to this point, Maylander, even though my opinion is somewhat different because I feel that MM6 and 7 marked the end of an era rather than influencing anything new that came after them. Back in the days of MM6 and 7, first person party-based RPGs of M&M's, Wizardry's or Realms of Arkania's type were going out of fashion almost over night as games like Diablo, Nox, Fallout and BG (plus all the other Infinity engine spin-offs) were taking their place. That's how I remember it anyway (including quite passionate discussions on forums on the subject of 3D first/third person vs isometric :) ).

With real-time combat, a living world, tons of NPCs and so on and so forth, it's probably the first game to feel similar to Oblivion. Only difference is, in M&M6 you had loads and loads of memorable dungeons (vital to a loot and combat oriented game like this), instead of the mindnumbingly boring ones in Oblivion.

Now this is where I have to wonder about your memory a little bit. Real time combat? Yes, sure, you could plough through the easy areas (like later in the game when the beginner areas respawned) like a mad man w/o pausing but the usual, regular type of play was definitely to enter turn-based mode for most fights to have more control over the battles and to increase the chances of winning. But remember that MM didn't have a simple real-time with pause system. The rounds/turns were always executed and calculated even in "real-time" mode. It's just that the game didn't auto-stop/pause after each party member's or enemy's turn in "real-time" mode. The combat system was actually turn-based all the way. Real-time mode was in reality just an accelerated, fast-forward sort of turn-based mode.

Well, and how does MM6 feel similar to Oblivion or how is/was it the first game to feel similar to Oblivion? I mean there was Daggerfall at the time and even though Daggerfall is vastly different from Oblivion, it has (logically since it's from the same developer and set in the same universe) almost infinitely more similarity with Oblivion than MM6.
Just about the only thing that MM6 and Oblivion have in common is the first person perspective. The combat system in M&M 6 is totally different, the skill system is much more complex and offers a lot more choices than the system in Oblivion and there is no leveling by use in MM6 either IIRC but it is all just skillpoint based. Also, it is party-based instead of single character, it has maps (pretty big ones but still maps) instead of an open, free-roaming world, ... well, the differences go on and on.
Seriously, where are the similarities in your opinion? Please do not say "Huge world, lots of sidequests, lots of combat" as you did at the beginning of your post because that is valid for 99.8% of all CRPGs ;) .

I've completed it in realtime. Twice.

How is 99,8% of all crpgs "huge world, lots of sidequests"? Most do not have a huge world, certainly not an open one, and far from lots of sidequests. The thing that reminds me about Oblivion in MM6 is the focus: Weak main quest, lots of sidequests. This is unlike most cRPGs because the story is very often in focus. Noone is going to tell me the story in MM6 is top notch, you follow it around for a bit and then forget it. In almost every other game I've followed the main quest above all else, but in these two in particular (and Morrowind) I actually skip the main quest. I have a hard time coming up with a handful of games that follow this design, and not a single one that can be qualified as bigger than MM6 in terms of success and influence.

Keep in mind that by "lots of sidequests" I don't mean 50 like in most RPGs. I mean so many there is a great possibility no player will ever complete them all on their first run through the game. The Realms of Arkania games, for example, are much shorter and smaller than MM6, they don't follow this pattern at all. The sheer size of MM6 is one of the similarities with Oblivion - not many games are big enough, and have enough NPCs and quests, to actually make me feel lost. Also, MM6 was the first "3D" RPG where I bumped into countless NPCs walking around in the game world.

I'm not saying MM6 was the first of its kind, certainly not, but it is definetly one of the biggest. Influence doesn't come from innovation, it comes from success. The more successful you are, the greater is your chance to influence others.

Also, a game being influenced by another game doesn't mean we're talking about copies or clones. Baldur's Gate has probably influenced every single RPG ever since it was released, in one way or another, for good or bad. Influence is not equal to "main source of inspiration", it simply means certain design decisions or elements are based upon something you saw somewhere for some reason. It can be books, movies, games, your family, friends and so on and so forth.

OK, I see. Personally, I'll stand by my view that comparing MM6 with Oblivion is a bit of a stretch (actually I'm talking about a Romanian professional gymnastics chick kinda stretch :biggrin: ) but -fine- to each their own ;) .

10 RPGs that were actually influential regardless of what I think of them, in contrast to ActionTrip's 10 recent RPGs the author just happened to like:

Note: I have only considered Western-style home computer titles. Console and Asian RPGs really require a separate list because there is very little cross-pollination between Eastern and Western games.

1. Rogue (1980)
What can I say about a game that needs no introduction? NetHack, Moria, Diablo and countless others, every hack 'n slash RPG can trace it roots back to this venerable ASCIIfest.

2. Wizardry (1981)
Where it all started for party-based, first person exploration. Wizardry created the interface mould from which the majority CRPGs would be cast for well over a decade. The Bard's Tale series, the Might and Magic series and the Gold Box games can all count Wizardry as part of their lineage.

3. Dungeon Master (1987)
The original action RPG and ultimate sire of all real-time dungeon-crawlers.

4. Ultima IV (1985)
This is the one that really kicks off the Ultima series with the features it's best known for. Ultima IV took CRPGs beyond the simple slay and loot formula with the introduction of moral choices and an increased emphasis on storytelling. It was probably the closest game in spirit to P'nP RPGs released up to that date.

5. Ultima Underworld (1992)
Dungeon Master's great-great grandchild and - arguably - the inspiration for the entire FPS genre. I'd rate it higher but for all its technical significance it had little impact on the RPG genre itself.

6. EverQuest (1999)
EverQuest single-handedly precipitated the MMORPG gold rush having flung open the foul Pandora's box of MMORPGs to a much wider audience of illiterate adolescents than its preceding brethren in darkness.

7. Pools of Radiance (1988)
The game that kicked off SSI's seemingly endless Gold Box series was also the first, which I'm aware of, to represent AD&D in a CRPG.

8. Baldur's Gate (1998)
Ten years on from Pools of Radiance and the Infinity Engine, spiritual ancestor of the Gold Box games, finally reunites AD&D and CRPG in a slick, modern format.

9. Oblivion (2006)
It may be premature to state this, but I believe TES 4 is significant for having put single player CRPGs firmly back in the 'mainstream' and showing the genre has more to offer than hack 'n slash clickfests or treadmill MMORPGs. In Oblivion's case the phrase "more to offer" is relative, but its success is paving the way for better games of this type.

10. Gothic 1 (2001)
Set the bar for 'modern' first/third person RPGs, featuring a huge (for the time) seamlessly loading world, full voice acting for all NPCs, and an incredibly immersive NPC scheduling system.

Back
Top Bottom