Your favourite movie

Regarding LotR, in terms of the amount of enjoyment I got out of it, I found the movies much better than the books.

I chose Princess Bride, by the way, because it has, like, everything. And it's timeless. Lots of movies loose something when they get older or when you watch them too often. This one, I believe, doesn't.

The second I would've said was THe Dark Crystal.

Full of creativity.

Not story-wise, but with the whole layout.

@txa1265, So which SW are you NOT enthusiastic about? I'm guessing TPM.
Yeah, I don't find myself wanting to watch it too much ... great lightsaber scenes, some nice Ewan McGregor stuff, but too much pod-racing. I really like the other 5.

@JemyM, LOTR was an epic movie series, but it pales in comparison to the books. Peter Jackson really tarnished some of the scenes by adding his own little ideas to them.
I liked the movies quite a bit, and also the books, but the thing to remember was that the books were not originally written as 'high fantasy fiction' we're used to reading now but more of a melding of academics and fantasy, creating loads of lore and almost a whole backstory of the realm. As such the pacing of 'big boom' moviemaking is certain to be more interesting.

But as much as I like the movies, I think 10 years from now they will not have the same shine in viewers eyes ... we're not talking Titanic-style opinion reversal here, just some loss of esteem.

@txa: my least favorite SW movie is AotC. It felt jumbled, and there was way too much mushy romance. Don't get me wrong, I like romance when I care about a character, but in this movie I didn't feel attached or attracted to either participant. The clones were great, but they didn't have enough screentime for my taste.

Once Upon a Time in the West (Dir. Cut)
Harmonica man: Frank?
Leader of three thugs: Frank sent us.
Harmonica man: Did you bring a horse for me?
Leader: (laughs) Well now, looks like we're one horse shy.
Hamrmonica man: You brought two too many.

BLAM, BLAM, BLAM, BLAM (thugs drop dead)

Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes (1972)
Meglomanic Conquistador, Don Lope de Aguirre, leads a doomed expedition up the Amazon in search of El Dorado. Notable for mesmerising opening and closing scenes.

Delicatessen (1991)
A blacker than a lump of coal dipped in tar and rolled in soot comedy. The French really will eat anything.

Metropolis (1927)
Ground breaking and influential German expressionist sci-fi (which is something you don’t see every day). The restored version available on DVD features a very 80's soundtrack which, bizarrely enough, actually suits the movie.

Metropolis (1927)
Ground breaking and influential German expressionist sci-fi (which is something you don’t see every day). The restored version available on DVD features a very 80's soundtrack which, bizarrely enough, actually suits the movie.

Get the more recent edition with really restored stuff - it goes back to the original even better. I made my family sit through this and they actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Silent films are quite visually demanding, actually.

My all time favorite: He-man master of the Universe. great action movie
it was an great cartoon and actionfigure.
Every time I was ill I watched that film, and IO have been ill a lot in my younger years.
An other great Movie, never seen on tv anymore: labyrinth with david bowie
and don't forget WILLOW, so funny :d

It felt jumbled, and there was way too much mushy romance.

Depends on how you see Star wars.

To many, this is simply an action movie of some sorts, be me, I belong to the people who saw in Star Wars some kind of fairy tale.

The fairy tale aspect of Star wars has always been there, but sometimes below heaps of Sci-Fi stuff. This is more & more the case with the modern novels.

If you *really* want to get a glimpse on how the fairy-tale-aspect in SW was originally conceived, then buy the spin-off book "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" by Alan Dean Foster.

i also didn't like phantom menace either (it really did seem like the pod racing was 1/3 of the movie). and since i was never a huge fan of star wars i haven't seen the others. i enjoyed the 'camp' feel of the first 3 and the new ones just didn't have that for me. i think he makes a much better writer than director. willow was wonderful as are the indiana jones movies. captain eo was better than star tours though. did anyone ever see thx-1138? now that was a wierd movie, that a friend made me watch! not good or bad just not very comprehensible watching it once.

[OT]@Alrik: I like fairy tales, but the Jedi/Force thing is the aspect of Star Wars I like the least. It didn't appeal to me when I was a child, and I'm still indifferent today. I own Splinter of the Minds Eye (and several shelves filled with other Star Wars novels), but the older I get, the less appealing they seem. A few years ago I decided to stop reading SW novels altogether (after the horrible Traitor - some say it's the best SW novel ever), but then a friend forced Hard Contact on me. It's my favorite SW novel to this day, and it even made me buy the Republic Commando game :biggrin:.[/OT]

Personally, I stopped readint with Vector Prime - I decided that everything following that in the timeline is not "my" SW universe.

But everything before that - I might still be happy to read. :)

I also have two long filled shelves with SW novels ;) and Hard Contact is a very nice book, I must agree. Especially because of the anti-hero. :)

If you want to, I can give you a few links to self-written fan fiction stories. :)
They are "non-action", by the way. ;)

[OT]the Jedi/Force thing is the aspect of Star Wars I like the least. [/OT]
I absolutely love it. It is actually central to how I approach RPG's as well - I play a Paladin / Light Jedi ;)

[OT]but then a friend forced Hard Contact on me. It's my favorite SW novel to this day, and it even made me buy the Republic Commando game :biggrin:.[/OT]
I love it as well, because it does a great job of detailing squad based combat ... Triple Zero didn't grab me like that, though. Oh, and I loved the game - not 'great' but a load of fun.

Personally, I stopped readint with Vector Prime - I decided that everything following that in the timeline is not "my" SW universe.
I like some of the books - Thrawn, of course, as well as I, Jedi and a few others I can't recall ... but the whole NJO triggers a NFW reaction in me ...

I love it as well, because it does a great job of detailing squad based combat ... Triple Zero didn't grab me like that, though. Oh, and I loved the game - not 'great' but a load of fun.
Mm, this is really getting off-topic but.. speaking of tactics, do you guys know the book "Ender's Game"? Made me want to play some RTS.. and I don't like RTS. ;)

@txa: I always play good characters, too, but I cannot bring myself to like the Force user visual style ;). Triple Zero was a decent book, but just not as good as HC with its mayfly moment.
@Alrik: I don't think I read your fanfics yet, so please point me towards them :). I don't prefer action over character development, anyway!

On a side note, was there a movie that was totally different from what you expected when you went to the cinema? If so, were you surprised in a positive or a negative way?

Easy choice: American Graffitti. The first movie I remember seeing in the theater. SO many memories with that film.

On a side note, was there a movie that was totally different from what you expected when you went to the cinema? If so, were you surprised in a positive or a negative way?

A few I think of right away:
- Open Season - we had my son's 10th birthday at a 'dinner theater' with 15 of his friends, and this was the selection. I expected absolute crap based on the trailer, and it was actually pretty decent.
- Bridge to Terabithia - same deal as above, but for my younger son's 9th a month ago ... we'd read the book and I didn't think they would deliver - but they did!
- Night at the Museum - family movie night because my younger son was having a 'sleep deprivation EEG' so we needed to be up late. Movie occupies a few hours, sounds great! Again, low expectations, laughed the whole time.

Here is another:
- The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover ... I don't know that I could be prepared for that ... and done so artfully ...

Formative years : Fort Apache/Rio Bravo

Adult years: Little Big Man

Over the Hill Years: Lonesome Dove

Westerns, to a small nature loving child trapped in the slums of Chicago, were a fairytale-land of amazing promise: the perfect, flamboyant horses confidantly ridden, the panoramic mountains and skies, the exotic bare bones of a living desert-- not to mention Good vs, Evil, so clearcut, and of course, John Wayne never died, (except in The Alamo, causing many youthful tears)-- but with age comes resignation, so the later titles evoke that melancholy for the past that never was...and a more cynical view of Black and White Hats. :)

I chose Princess Bride, by the way, because it has, like, everything. And it's timeless. Lots of movies loose something when they get older or when you watch them too often. This one, I believe, doesn't.

Very good explanation... and how true. I love Princess Bride.

When it comes to Star Wars I can only say that I loved the first 3 movies but would rather forget the later ones. They somehow screwed up Star Wars for me. And I think they were just not necessary.

I can't understand how anyone who read LOTR could think the movies were better than the books. Jackson tried to add way too much humor, and the constant crying and hugging between Hobbits was just annoying.

What really killed it for me was how he portrayed the Battle of the Pelennor Fields in Return of the King. One of the grandest battles ever described on paper. He wasn't satisfied with the epic portrayal in the novel, he had to add an army of floating green phantoms that looked like something out of a Disney movie.

... which is part of why I don't think in 10 years time they will be held in such grand regard ...

Back
Top Bottom