The magerette/skavenhorde Warhammer thread

magerette

Hedgewitch
Sorry to be so late to answer this off-topic remark but I've been nursing a bad back for a week(--old age is not for sissies, etc...)

@ the ratman: skavenhorde, Thanks for the kind words. since you may have had a psychotic episode since last you saw this, I'll remind you that you wrote:
Magerette ... Seems to think I'm a psycho lol. I make one little post trying to compare RW good and Evil with Computer Good and Evil in the mass effects thread and all of a sudden I'm a psycho lol. Just kidding, I didn't phrase my point too well and it did end up sounding like I was really living in a fantasy world....

I just want you to know that I don't think you are personally a psychotic--well, perhaps a bit deranged, but that's not a problem for me. :) That post was about how freaked out people can get--to the point of acting almost psychotic--when the topic turns to rpg sacred ground like what is an rpg and what isn't. Hopefully you now understand that it wasn't directed at anyone specific, least of all the Grey Seer. Might I just ask where all the rat references come from? Obviously besides from a game I haven't played...;)

And back On Topic--it seems like the best solution for forum ranks is let everybody pick their own title. Less trouble for the hardworking admins. :)

magerette said:
Might I just ask where all the rat references come from? Obviously besides from a game I haven't played...
Warhammer. Skaven are a race of ratmen in the Warhammer universe.

Thanks Jaz--O all-knowing and all-playing one. :) (and skavenhorde, I hope you know I am attempting to joke around with you. Sometimes humor is hard to capture on the internet.)

I'm a Warhammer vet. I left zillions of [currency] in Munich and London back in 1990/91 just to get an acceptable Warhammer/40k army, so there ;).

And I'm just guessing but is that orc related to this Warhammer thing? I looked the game up earlier and it seems to have tons of different iterations. I really do love strat games but the RTS ones run me ragged--is there a Warhammer that you'd particularly recommend? One site said Warcraft was related to it? I did enjoy that game.

[OT]What orc?
I'd recommend Warhammer 40k, 2nd edition - while the 1st edition was a bit simplistic, the later editions were, erm, dumbed down IMO.
Other games in the WH/WH40k universe include Hero Quest, Space Crusade, Advanced Space Crusade, Space Hulk, Dungeon Quest, Talisman, Blood Bowl, the Warhammer RPG... and many, many others. Out of these I'd recommend Talisman (though we hardly managed to finish a game due to game length), Dungeon Quest (the fastest of them) and Space Hulk (tactical and rather fast-paced).
The only Warhammer video games I ever played were the first Space Hulk (back in the early Nineties) and then the Dawn of War demo (last year or the year before). The first was a tactical game and the latter is RTS.[/OT]

MORE OT: So the new avatar isn't a mild-mannered but very blue orc? Thanks for the insight on the Warhammer world. I'll see if I can find a demo for one of the pc versions./OT

So, what *are* we going to do about titles? Shall we have a poll and vote? I like polls. :)

Maybe we should change your title to Poll Girl, or is that Pole Girl!! :biggrin:

Sorry I'm also late didn't know we were talking about one of my favorite races in this thread or I would of rode my doom wheel over here as fast as my little legs could pump.

@magerette Jaz pretty much filled you in on everything there is to know about my little obsession with the wee rats ;)

No hard feelings about the psychotic thingie ;p I am a bit and I'm still learning how to best communicate in these forums without sounding either like a complete idiot or a madman that just escaped from a local psych ward.

Now onto warhammer. Jaz gave you the heads up on a few but I have every computer related warhammer game ever made (they didn't make that many). From what you tell me I would recommend trying (if you can find them that is) Warhammer: Chaos Gate, Final Liberation or Warhammer 40k: Rites of War. Those are the only turn based ones they made. Chaos Gate was the best by far out of those three. No Skaven in any of those unfortunately. They are all based in the 40k world though Final Liberation is based on the Epic game which is basically Warhammer with really really big vehicles and tanks. Warhammer 40k is Sci-fi with magic and Warhammer Fantasy Battle is swords and sorcery. Here is the website at mobygames which can better explain them. http://www.mobygames.com/search/quick?q=warhammer&x=0&y=0 If you don't mind Real-time Mark of Chaos is based in the Fantasy world and isn't that bad. I give it high marks for including my little skaven. They never get much love from the Warhammer world :(

I'm proud to say that since I posted that list awhile ago I've only had 1 psychotic episode :greengrin:

@Jaz A fellow warhammer nut. Oh we are indeed going to get along famously. Warhammer is a bit expensive. I'm not sure how much I spent on my darling little rats. Knowing me though I had to fall in love with the only race which you need tons and tons of little minitures to get a relatively ok army. Stupid slaves cost too much :p

Ok back to topic: Orc and Goblin list this time in honor of Jaz's Da Blue Menance ;)

1. Snotling
2. Night Goblin
3. Squig Hopper
4. Night Goblin Fanatic
5. Forest Spider Rider
6. Orc boyz
7. Savage Orc Boyz
8. Orc big 'Un
9. Warboss
10. Gorbad Ironclaw

Last edited:
YET MORE OT: I'm glad we've cleared up the psycho thing. :) This thread is so hijacked that I'm going to continue the Warhammer discussion --those who are interested only in the ranks/titles thing, just ignore me--I'm exercising my free will.:p
What's the word on Dawn of War? Jaz mentioned playing the demo and I've just read that one of my favorite developers, Iron Lore, is making an expansion called Soulstorm.I see it's a clear RTS game but it's hard to tell how genuine it may be. On the whole, I prefer the non-sci-fi approach, but a good game will make me bend, esp sci-fi w/magic. I'll take a look at mark of chaos for sure, but if it's too old to play on XP I may not be able to do it as I'm not much into the B.F. pre 1998 era( to borrow from another thread) Anyway, thanks for the info in advance and apologies to the thread. :) /OT

@Corwin--I am more of a Swede girl than a Pole by ancestry, but with my witcherfanboism, I understand how you might see it that way. :)

@skavenhorde: Yes, so expensive. I have WH40k armies only: my main force is an Imperial Guard army (mostly Catachans, Valhallans and a few modern Steel Legionnaires) with Ogryn support, seven different tanks and Stromtroopers/Commissars, I have a quite variable Slaanesh Chaos troupe built around a core of 24 daemonettes and a Keeper of Secrets, I can field a Marine force (Bloodangels and Dark Angels) as well as a colorful host of Slaaneshi Chaos Marines and a respectable Tyranid army (well, everybody who owns Space Hulk and Advanced Space Crusade can field both Marines and a Tyranid Army). I rather like the Necrons, but they came somewhat late during my collector's phase.
Hubby's main force is Eldar, but he frequently borrows my Guard or Chaos armies for matches.

@magerette: you wanted me to head over here and fill you in on my blue boy... well... it's not an orc, nor is it a goblin or ogre, or anything WH-related. Just 'someone' whose name I borrowed (waaaay back) for my action figure collecting alter ego... and here's a pic of a part of the rest of the gang:

Attachments

• crew.jpg
    crew.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
From the list of Games in the Warhammer universe I'd recommend excluding Talsman. The 3rd edition was modified to use standard Warhammer Fantasy plastic minatures instead if the cardboard tokens from previous releases.

The 4th edition of Talisman (released late October 07) is back to using cards for its character tokens. Capcom will be releasing a Computer version in the near future.

I've played Warhammer Fantasy for year Starting Army was Orcs and Goblins, then Skaven and Dark Elves. I still think Skaven are the most fun to play.

Shaf

I love the Warhammer 40K universe, but I have not the time, money, or patience to actually play it. So I have to be satisfied with reading about it and looking at artwork, and playing the RTS. I can speak a little Warhammerish, but I wouldnt say I'm actually fluent. I wouldnt want to get in any disputes about it.

I havent played Mark of Chaos, but that one is on my list of things to try out in the future, tho I'm not real keen on the whole medievel Warhammer world. For me, it's all about the grim 40k universe, the Emperor and his band of ecclesiastic nutjobs, the crazy ramshackle Ork technology, etx

What's the word on Dawn of War?

A very, very fun RTS. Probably my second or third favorite of all time. Can be a bit hectic, but that can be managed by turning the difficulty down. There are typical, linear, narrative campaigns for the first two iterations (Dawn of War, Winter Assault) and then a more free-form, world map (think Risk or the Total War series) drilling down to individual skirmishes when there's a conflict campaign in the third game/second expansion (Dark Crusade). You can get all three as a Platinum edition for probably under $35. There is also skirmish mode versus the comp AI, of course. The design is based on the basic mass-and-crash formula (a la Warcraft), but extends, streamlines and modifies it in lots of interesting ways that I personally think add quite a bit to advancing the genre. And the action is top-notch. Some of the animations are just unbelievably good (and gory :) ). I'm very geeked for the 4th game/3rd expansion as it is supposed to greatly expand upon the open board, strategy element for the campaign. I haven't played the more traditional, linear campaigns of the first two enough to have an opinion on them.

@all: I'd like to add to the list of board games for the WH universe Warhammer Quest. One of the best solitaire dungeon crawls out there. Lots of fun. Only problem is the price of acquisition, as it's been out of print for a while.

@you TT 40k freaks: have you tried out VASSAL? It's a freeware client/server system that allows you to play board games over the 'net, real time or PBEM. There seems to be a pretty extensive 40K group there, but I haven't checked it out myself as I'm not into that vector of WH fandom. I just discovered it because there's also a Hero Quest (another favorite board game dungeon crawl) module that I'm trying to get going with my gaming group.

I'll make this quick because I have to start work in about 15 minutes but wanted to let you know that Mark of Chaos was a great game. Not all that it could have been but still fun. The computer game like the miniture game uses regiments instead of single figures (Think Kohan or Total War if you've ever played those games) You get to choose to either be Chaos or the good guys (I think they're human but since Chaos had my Skaven in their ranks, I never played the good guys ;)) I'm running out of time here so here is a link to a fair review of the game. http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/warhammermarkofchaos/review.html

@jaz thanks for moving the posts. Now I don't feel so guilty about posting ;)

Last edited:
Really appreciate the info, chamr & skav--and I'm downloading the DoW demo now, next Mark of Chaos if I can find it. I have wa-a-a-y too many games to play already of course, but that hasn't ever stopped me yet. :)

@Jaz-the group looks familiar in a comic book way, but I can't place them--however, I like the blue guy no matter who(or what) he actually is. Much better than that sinister fellow with hood. :)

They are the Commandos from the Small Soldiers movie (click the link to see them all). The one I picked to represent my doll collecting self is Brick Bazooka, artillery. So should you accidentally run into a Brick Bazooka on the net (provided you haunt some collector places), chances are it's me - Brick never got the love he deserved. The only Commando who got a 'life-size' talking action figure was Chip Hazard, pity... I'd loved to have them all.

As for Talisman: I think it's imperative to get all the addon boxes for this one because one of them will allow you add 40k figures to your lineup. You need a big table, though, and it adversely affects game time (yes, the game will be even longer).

I never played Talisman. Couldn't deal with cardboard. Metal or plastic only please :) One of the best boardgames I've ever played was Warhammer Quest. Chamr is 100% correct with it being one of the best solo games out there. If you had to compare it to a computer game it would closest resemble a rouge just with ten times better graphics (unless you suck at painting;))Advanced heroesquest wasn't too shabby either. That is where I first started collecting Skaven. They came with the game. Like Chamr said it is hard to find although I still see it up on Ebay every now and then. As well as the expansion packs for the game.

For those of you interested. There were two games made based on two board games made by GW.

Spacehulk-Sp
http://sourceforge.net/projects/hulk/

HeroQuest
http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/lm.broers/download.htm

Both are fun but I'm partial to the HeroQuest one. It's been so long since I played the original HeroQuest but from what I remember it seems that these games follow the old rules closely.

I stay away from 40k as much as possible, I prefer regiments vs single units. Also 40k never appealed to me like Fantasy did plus once again no Skaven in 40k, stupid rat haters :mad:

Dawn of war was fun. Although I always get my butt kicked when I play online. So I stay away from online as much as possible (just can't click that fast lol) Dark Crusade is the most interesting one yet because it lets you play any of the races.

I'm not really the Medieval Fantasy type, so it's predominantly 40k for me :). I didn't buy Talisman for the figures, so I'm pretty content with the game. But I haven't played a WH universe boardgame that was published after 1991 (namely, Advanced Space Crusade and Space Fleet), so I never played Warhammer Quest.

Actually, this one's a bit better as it doesn't gimp the magic system, and is iso to boot! :)

linky

@skaven: would you mind comparing Mark of Chaos to Kohan 2 (my all-time favorite RTS) and Dawn of War? I played a bit of the demo, but only enough to see it as Total War clone set in the WH universe. Is it more than that? Are the hero duels really interesting and fun? Or just waiting for your skills to recharge so you can click them again while sucking down pots as needed? Do the races really play differently? Or does everyone just end up smashing into eachother in a big scrum in the middle of the map? And so on...

Back
Top Bottom