The magerette/skavenhorde Warhammer thread

LMAO, I never use that button or scroll lock or prt scr. I just forget about them and pretend they arn't even there ;)

I haven't tried the Tao race yet. They were one of the first guys I knocked off the map when I got the game. Them and the Necros. I wanted to see what their units could do. Gotta say they look pretty cool and their background is a nice change of pace from the usual "Life is hell." I think they are the only upbeat race in the universe:D. Necro's are a bit weird. I'm having a hard time getting used to the whole mechanical skeleton thing. I get the idea but it's a bit of a stretch for them to upgrade the undead from fantasy to metal undead in 40k. Where are my metal vampires? If they can make metal skeletons then I want brainy Skaven like in Planescape: Torment.

Snarky...now that is a word I haven't heard since Bard's Tale :)

So many games, so little time! Sammy may or may not have to change his avatar, but he does know my fondness for pointy-eared elves and tree-hugging druids. I'm not an rts, a sci-fi or a wargamer in general, but I have two all time favorites, Alpha Centauri and Master of Orion 2 that are classic strategy games all about 4x space stuff. They differ from Starcraft and DoW in being turn based, (as is Dominions 3) and that is much more my style...but you never know when a certain game will tip you into its camp--I played all the sp Warcrafts thru Frozen Throne, and I like Spellcraft's take on RTS as well. We'll just have to see. :)

I've cut and pasted a lot of your posts, skavenhorde so if I ever do get into mark of chaos/dow I will have a handy user guide. Thanks :)

I never look at that pause key either--I had to squint at the top line of keys on my keyboard for a good minute before i saw it. :blush:

Just wanted to say thanks, magerette, for taking an interest even though it probably won't be your type of game. I bet you didn't think you would be assaulted with the history and different games of Warhammer when you asked that innocent question about why I liked rats so much :D It was nice of you. Funny thing is I'm no expert in Warhammer, not even close. So I don't really get a chance to get all geeky on the history or pluses and minuses of the game or the universe. Out of the two games you may like Dawn of War more. Mark of Chaos is great but it really has a difficult learning curve (as Chamr is finding out now ;)) Anyways, thanks.

@Chamr dude, if the demo has a bit of the single player campaign I highly recommend doing a couple of them before skirmishes. You are entirely right about getting the right mix of units and the campaign slowly introduces you into the different units. Even now I can't think of doing a skirmish until I've gone through the first act(which I'm almost done with). The first act is sorta a long tutorial. It slowly introduces you to knights, regular infantry, mounted knights, axe throwers, cannons, fighting from a fortress and duels. I'm at the last part of act 1 and about to choose Nurgle or Khorne and that's when the fun really starts.

Here I am!
Thanks to skavenhorde I discovered this thread.
I play Warhammer FRPG and played also 40K.

Anybody knows if some pc rpg exists based on Warhammer FRPG rules?

I think some game-house is working on an MMO title. But I'm more interested in single player games.

Not that I know of. The only one that might vaguely have FRPG rules would be the MMO title you mentioned, but I highly doubt they will be able to stick to the core rules of the FRPG. I'm torn whether to buy it or not. I've never bought a MMO and told myself I never would, but it's Warhammer :biggrin:. If they throw in Skaven as a race to play then I might just have to break down and buy it.

Your a fan of 40k hmmm. Well if you have virtual PC or WIN98 loaded on an old computer then you could try these Final Liberation, Chaos Gate or Rites of War. Out of the three Chaos Gate is pretty darn close to the original 40k tabletop game. Here's a link to a short little wikipediea entry on the game http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000:_Chaos_Gate

Of course there is the excellent game Dawn of War and all the expansions which is a fun game but nothing like the miniature game. Dawn of War Dark Crusade lets you play pretty much all of the 40k races except for Tyranids and Dark Eldar.

As you maybe can tell from my avatar, I'm a little partial to those furry little guys in Fantasy Battle. I like 40k but as far as miniatures go Skaven are the only ones I have, with a few Chaos deamons thrown in for good measure ;)

I was wondering, I never played the FRPG but have seen it many times. Is it anything like D&D or more like the miniature games?

Edit: Here is the homepage for Warhammer: Age of Reckoning the MMO game that's coming soon. http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/home/index.php

Last edited:
The Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying Game is a regular p&p RPG. It has a, um, 'caste' system similar to AD&D, but it also has the call of Cthulhu-like chaos points. See and experience enough weird things, and... well, I guess you get the gist. There were some nice campaigns and adventure modules back in the days - don't know the newer ones.

@skaven: I'm playing the multi-player demo right now. I dl'ed the single player demo (don't know why they went to the trouble of two demos...), but the description in Gamer's Hell says it contains the first chapter called "Will of the Gods". Would that be enough to get an idea of the units? Which side is that chapter, Empire?

In your honor (and because I think they're pretty cool too :) ), I'm playing around with Skaven. According to some old posts at the official forum, they're supposed to be easy to win with against newbs. Well, either I'm too much of a newb myself or the Easy AI is no newb, but I'm something like 0-6 so far. I got a little better last night, not getting beat quite so badly. With so many ways to tweak your army (size, units, heroes, skills and spells, upgrades, veterancy, etc.) while contending with the gold and pop caps, that part becomes a big game in and of itself. Good stuff.

@Jaz Thanks Jaz, I've always saw the FRPG at the local hobby shop back in the states but all my money always went to the miniatures. I thought it might be similar to D&D but didn't know about the psychotic episode thing like in Cthulhu. Cool feature. I guess you would be immune to that if you were a chaos knight since they are already insane :)

@Chamr cool the horde lives. I let you in on a secret, Skaven are great but highly unpredictable. For example the Warpfire Throwers will devastate even tougher units like knights but they tend to blowup. Rat Ogres as well are great in battle but if their packmasters get killed, well you better run. Plague monks and censor bearers go well together. I'm just remembering this off the top of my head right now, I'll play a couple of skirmishes and get back to you on it.

Edit: Just tried Skirmish and I forget there are no plague monks:( Well they would of went together nicely if they had them :) Maybe in the expansion. Anyways back to the game.

How big are your skirmishes? Try smaller ones to get a feel for the units and then upgrade that way and remember the horde is only as strong and brave as long as there are a lot of them. If your regiments start taking loses you'll see the moral drop faster than you can "Hey stop that" ;) I'm glad you're enjoying it because I went to the Mark of Chaos forums and man is it deserted. That place is deader than a zombie. I know the game isn't as popular or easy to learn as DoW but it still is fun. Anyways I'll let you know how I fare in skirmish later.

Last edited:
@skaven: won my first! sad, but true, it took me 8 or so games to beat the damn easy AI. And, to make it more embarassing, I had nothing but my warp lightening cannon left. But, dammit, I won!! :) The Empire hero, a lvl 10 captain, was a tough f*cker to bring down. Probably took me the last 5th of the battle to do it.

I did start small. 10,000 gold armies. I think I was trying to get too tricky with splitting my force three ways and gettin' all mad with the tactics. My win was much more straight forward: one pimped out regi of storm vermin and one mass of clan rats with a lvl 10 grey seer attached plus a warp fire thrower team and gutter runners to support on the main front, and then the cannon and globadiers plunking away from up on a hill. Was close, but I finally broke the seal on my first win. Now, more army tinkering. I desire nothing less than crushing those foppish Empire bastards. I can see how this can get addictive...

I really hope the multi community comes back with the expansion. I can see how a small but fun group would coalesce around this game. *fingers crossed*

How about my question on the single player campaign? Is the first chapter, "Will of the Gods" worth doing to get a feel for the units? Is it only Empire?

P.S. I don't get the lack of community. Why would the legion of Warhammer Fantasy players not support this game, at least a little bit? I know it was buggy at launch, but I would think as dedicated a fan base as Warhammer has would find more than a few diehards sticking with it through the patches. God knows the 40k folks did with DoW... :S

Last edited:
I guess you would be immune to that if you were a chaos knight since they are already insane :)
IIRC (most of my p&p stuff is in the attic nowadays, mothballed) you couldn't play chaos creatures. At least not initially.

OK, one more post before beddy-by...

Rat Ogres = Rockola! Swapped out my gutter runners for him, sent him into the middle of the dandy Empire weenies. All his handlers were killed quickly so I lost control of him. Did I care? Nope. He was running amok in the middle of my opponent's army. Sweet! Of course, once he was done with them, he came after me. eek! :uhoh: Some strategic running kept his blows on them and away from me. But, in the end, I had to put the poor bastard down myself.

Now that was the crushing I was hoping for. :biggrin: The comdey factor beyond the rampaging, out-of-control Rat Ogre? On the final tally screen, I lost twice as many skaven than the AI actually killed. Guess I can see your point on how the Skaven, especially their technology, are a bit unpredictable. o_o

Great victory, doesn't matter if you had 1 warp cannon or all your units, you won :biggrin: Skaven don't really care about losses anyways as long as they win ;)

You're question. Sorry about not answering earlier. I was trying to think of different tactics to use to help and then wanted to try out skirmish to see how I fared (lost 2 so far lol) I'll check right now.

Edit: Just checked and it is the chaos campaign. It's the whole chapter 1. I just played that and am up to chapter 2 right now. Chapter 1 I believe is 5 battles. 2 of those is optional and 1 is just a duel with a chaos knight of Nurgle. In the first battle you're recruiting your regiments and killing the empires forces with the recruits (I was wrong earlier when I said that you fought chaos forces that doesn't come until the 2nd and last battle.) In another battle you have to defend a fortress. The last one is you're all by yourself while the gods test you by having you defeat various Chaos God regiments (not that hard) That chapter was like a really long tutorial. It helps you get used to the various regiments and their abilities plus helps you get used to cannon fire by having you use it while defending your fortress.The next chapter is where you tag team partner the Skaven come into play.
[Edit done]

You'll lose tons of the little guys compared to the enemy. We're just not that tough individually but get a whole bunch of us and look out ;)

I have to try that. I always tried to protect him with either stormvermin on either side or had him on my flanks. Thanks I have to see a grumpy out of control rat ogre in the middle of the empire weenies.

About gutter runners, they are really weak but one tactic I used recently was when the knights charge (those damn guys are always crushing my forces to pieces) have them dig past them but make sure you have a level three clanrat regiment behind them. When the knights stop because the gutter runners are gone have the clanrats charge in with poison wind goblidiers behind them and then the gutter runners attack from behind (this only works if there are no other regiments behind the knights, if there is have the gutter runners tunnel under to the side instead of behind them.)

Grey Seers are great for bolstering your troops. Get the spell that calls for reinforments up to level 5 and put him in with your stormvermin. That way when you start to lose units you can increase their moral and units with the spell. Oh and grab banners and musicians. This will help the wee ratties from running away when they get a bloody nose ;)

One note I HATE CANNONS. They devistate my little guys because you really need a lot of clanrats or stormvermin for them to be effective. I never go with lvl 1 core units, I always bump it up to lvl 2 or 3 so they can lap around the opposing forces, but those cannons make mince meat out of my guys if I'm not careful.

Poison wind globadiers kick the butt out of knights or any heavily armored foe. The knight's armor is useless and doesn't count against poison. I forgot how fast it kills those guys in my last game but they are just flat out deadly against heavy armor.

Hopefully the community will come back with the next expansion. With more units means that more people will be interested and hopefully might sway a few of the DoW fans to give old Fantasy Battle another try.

Ok talk to ya next time. I'm off to see a rat ogre go beserk :biggrin:

Last edited:
I'm going to have to give the full version of Mark of Chaos a try, you guys are getting me all hot and bothered here talking about it like you are.

How are the duels? I wasnt that impressed w/ the demo duels, but then again it was like tutorial-ville.

I'm going to have to give the full version of Mark of Chaos a try, you guys are getting me all hot and bothered here talking about it like you are.

Sorry about that. O_O ;)

How are the duels? I wasnt that impressed w/ the demo duels, but then again it was like tutorial-ville.

Skaven should be able to answer this. Ironcially I can't, even though I chose the Eshin clan of Skaven mostly so I could get the Assassin hero to go after the other guy's hero. I tried it about 4 times, but he kept getting lit up like a pinball machine by their ranged that by the time he challenged the other guy, he was already mostly dead. I'm sure it would just take more refinement of my on field tactics, but I moved on to other army configurations instead.

Sounds like you tried the single player demo. Does it let you skirmish the comp AI? If not, I'd suggest the multi player demo (yes, there are two demos) where you can jump straight to building your own armies (and saving them off with clever names like "Rat Bastards") and gettin' down to bid'ness. You can choose any hero or combination of heroes and, depending on your army's point size, pimp them out with skills, spells and items pretty much any way you like as long as it fits within your budget. And, again, the best part is that after the skirmish, you can tinker with their setup right away and go at it again.

Duels hmmm. Well they are fun sorta and have some unique skills that look awsome. I just put a few points into the first couple of skills in the Duel section. To tell the truth in a battle I'm all over the place ordering my units around the map and if a duel is going on I will hit the special attack buttons on the hero, then focus on my regiments again for about 40 seconds. When you use one of your special skills you bought in the skills menu, it takes about 40 seconds to be able to use it again. This is handy because I can concentrate on my wee ratties while the battle is going on and it keeps those darn wizards busy so they can't roast my regiments with their fireballs. If you do duel you have to keep a close eye on your heroes hp (it's easy to do because you can see his card at the bottom of the screen.) If you notice that your hero's hp are dropping fast then your going to have to either concentrate more closely on the duel and take a more defensive stance or flee. If your hero flees the units around him will take a moral hit.

Overall duels are ok and if you don't like the duel aspect of the game, you don't have to do it. Everytime your hero gets close to another two cards will pop up on the side of the screen and unless you click the opposing hero's card, they won't duel. If you concentrate on getting better dueling skills for your hero, then it makes sense to duel but I never did. I always concentrate on giving bonuses to my regiments and helping the hero be a better fighter.

Hope this helps, Sammy:) I know what you mean about getting all hot and bothered about the game. All I did was start to talk about it a bit for Chamr and Magerette and the next thing you know I've unistalled Silent Storm to make room for Mark of Chaos:)

Since you guys only have the demo I thought I would give you a list of the special features of each unit from the manual. It may help you decide what units to pick in the skirmish.

1. Giant Rat - Lost Packmaster, Large
2. Clanrats - No special attributes
3. Stormvermin - Giantslayer and their halberds have piercing damage which helps against charges from knights and hitting the knights.
4. Gutter Runners - Skirmisher, Scout, Poisonous. (I think scout maybe broken because I can never seem to get them to be invisible to the enemy. The enemy always attacks them as soon as they are close enough. I may not understand how that rule works though.)
5. Plague Censer Bearers - Skirmisher, Frenzy, Disease.
6. Poisoned Wind Globadiers - Skirmisher, Magic Damage, Explosive.
7. Rat Ogres - Fear, Lost Packmaster, Huge, Cleaving Death, Crushing Blow.
8. Warplock Jezzails- Skirmisher, Armour Piercing.
9. Warpfire Throwers - Explosive
10. Warp-Lightning Cannon - Long Range Shot, Inaccurate, Demollish Walls, Explosive.
11. Screaming Bell - Fear
12. Warplock Engineer - Explosive
13. Assasin - Hidden, Poisonous
14 Warlord/Chieftain - None
15 Grey Seer - None

Definition for the attributes

Skirmisher - A skirmishing regiment is a small group of warriors fighting in a loose or dispersed formation rather than a formal ranks and files, enabling them to travers rough terrain swiftly.
This regiment Cannot be attacked from behind and con move at full speed on hard terrain. These troops cannot use formations and do not have charge impact damage.
Scout These troops are skilled at sneaking ahead to scout out the enemy before the main force arrives. Making best use of cover, or advancing at night, they are able to deploy ahead of the rest of the army.
The regiment is invisible until it attacks or the enemy regiment approaches within the immediate range. They can easily avoid combat and are subject to the anti hit unit rule.
Hidden Whether by mystical means or simply camouflage, the warriors in this regiment can blend into their surroundings, making them virtually undetectable until they choose to attack.
The regiment is invisible out of combat. They can easily avoid combat and are subject to the anti hide unit rule.
Fear Even in the war-torn Warhammer world, some foes are simply so noisome, unnatural or horrific that they instill fear in the enemy, making them a daunting prospect to fight against. Attackers lose morale when attacking a regiment with the Fear attribute.
Frenzy Certain warriors can work themselves into a fighting frenzy, a whirlwind of destruction in which all concern for their personal safety is ignored in favour of mindless violence.
The regiment cannot be fazed in close combat and is unaffected by any kind of morale effect. (great against fear causing units)
Lost Packmaster The beasts of this regiment are instinctive killers and should all the packmasters controlling them be killed they are likely to run amok, attacking both friend and foe. If monsters loose thier masters they become uncontrollable for the rest of the battle.
Armour Piercing Certain weapons, most notably black powder weapons such as handguns, are excellent at penetrating even heavy armour.
Regiments with this attribute reduce the armour of the enemy by 50%
Long Range Shot With these war machines, the crew do not have to see their target to fire upon it - they simply direct their war engine towards the place they think the foe is and let loose.
Such units can shoot further than they can see.
LargeLarge units are those that are bigger than man-sized, without being Huge, and such units cannot enter places where smaller warriors would pass with ease.
Bigger than humans, but smaller than giants, they cannot climb ladders, hide behind barricades or garrison into a tower.
Huge Some creatures are simply so large and unwieldy they are 'Huge' and this has a great effect on where they can roam on the battlefield.
Huge units cannot climb ladders, hide behind barricades, garrison into towers and are immune to charge impact.(that is the only difference between large and huge.)

Inaccurate Some weapons are simply too large and cumbersome to benefit from expert marksmanship, Their shots will usually deviate at lease some way from the intended target. Inaccurate ranged units' shots will be scattered.
Demolish Walls It is a strong weapon indeed that can smash apart the walls of a castle, while some monsters are also possed of such brutal power.
Units with this attribute are capable of doing Siege damage. Therfore, they are able to destroy castle walls.
Giantslayerssome units are trained or equipped to deal with larger opponents.
The regiment is more effective against large or huge units
Magic Damage The winds of magic course across the whole world, and they are sometimes bound to creatures or weapons to imbue their attacks with magical properties.
A regiment with this attribue does magic damage.
poisonous Some warriors of the Warhammer world use lethal toxins to envenom their weaponry, while others might use magical or holy substances that are effective even against daemons and Undead.
All attacks of this regiment have a 100% chance to poison the enemy. Poisoned models can die even after survivng a battle.
Cleaving Death These powerful creatures can smash into a horde of enemies, striking left and right with their deadly claws and fangs.
Regiments such as these are able to attack multiple units around them.
Breath AttackMighty dragons, along with a few even strager creatures, have the ability to breathe fire, noxious gas, lightning or even more bizarre substances.
Units with this attribute damage all enemies in a straight line. (The warpfire thrower should have this ability but in the manual it doesn't say it does. I think that is a typo because that is exactly the kind of attack they have)
Vulnerable to Magic The magical nature of some creatures makes them particularly vulnerable to attacks that are also magical in origin.
A regiment with this attribute is vulnerable to all magic attacks, including spells and magical weapons.
Crushing Blow The attacks of this type of regiment are particularly heavy and cause considerably more damage than those of lesser fighters.
Regiments with this attribute cause 2 damage with every successful hit.
Explosive Warpstone is an unstable elemnet at the best of times and using it in weaponry is almost an invitation for disaster - as the smoking remains of many Skaven have attested to over the centuries!
at 0 HP the regiment blows up damaging everthing around them. Regiments with the Explosive attribute are immune to warp explosions
Plauge As carriers of various diablolic poxes and diseases, the regiment may well infect those that fight against them.
This regiment can cause a plague to an enemy regiment hitting them in melee combat. Plague is similar to poison, but instead of afflicting only a single model, it damages the whole regiment for a short period of time.

These arn't all of the attributes but if you have any questions about a particular attribute or units just let me know and I'll write down what it wrote in the manual.

If you want to try out the empire side or chaos let me know and I'll tell you what attributes are for each unit.

Well I'm off, hope this helps.

i know you guys have been talking about the 'other' warhammer for a while now, but the soulstorm demo is available now for those interested. the gold edition is still eyeing me from across the room, but i'm just fooling around with stalker now while i await the witcher to arrive which i finally got a uk edition for under $40.

@skaven: dude, you rock. Thanks!
@CU: thanks for the heads up! Had no idea it would be here this soon. Coolio!

I just had a duel with a dragon rider and that one was fun. I didn't really like the duels before because I won everytime without even trying but the dragonrider made me change my tactics and think about whether to use defensive, offensive and what powers to use. So the duels can be fun if you don't have an overwhelming advantage against the enemy.

@Undead thanks for the heads up. I also didn't know that was out already.

This thread brings back memories. I used to be heavily into the Warhammer games back when I was much younger. Fantasy Battle, Role-Play and 40K along with GW's Bloodbowl were the staples of my gaming. I've got armies and Bloodbowl teams packed away in my parent's basement still (think I've got an Elf Fantasy Battle army, a fully-painted Squat 40K army, a bunch of Bloodbowl teams and assorted other stuff).
The computer adaptations have never managed to re-create those games. Chaos Gate was the closest, but I can't get it to run on XP. Final Liberation is pretty good, and that I can run on XP with no problems. Rites Of War I never liked very much. And Dawn Of War, I tried so, so hard to like as it perfectly captures the look of 40K but throws the gameplay out the window. I had attempted to play it like the tabletop game, but realised around the second or third mission that's not what you're supposed to do. You're not intended to win with a couple of squads, you're supposed to crank out more and more squads to overwhelm the enemy just like any other RTS. To me, that's not 40K if you're playing any race other than Orks (yes, Orks mob, so the gameplay is allright for them, but you need so many in DW). Playing as Space Marines you take a small team to tackle overwhelming odds, it's all about tactics, and DW doesn't work like that.
Out of the Fantasy games, Dark Omen was solid, I never got too much into Shadow Of The Horned Rat. But the Fantasy stuff has never got as much computer coverage as 40K. Mark Of Chaos looks gorgeous, but again, the gameplay isn't there. I've only tried the demo, perhaps the core game is different, but the demo seemed to try and merge the RPG with the army battles and it didn't work for me.

Back
Top Bottom