Venetica - Review Flood #3

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Time to bring you up-to-date with the latest German Venetica reviews:
  • Stevinho says 82% and explains it in a 25:30 min. video
  • Game-TV has video with a short review. It doesn't work in my browser.
  • Print mag PC Games calls Venetica "a successful RPG debut" and gives 79% due to technical issues. "Accessible controls, a (mostly) beautifully designed game world, fast fights and a strong heroine [...]"
  • GameCity.ch's rating is 81%. "The game's atmosphere is utterly brilliant [...]"
  • SpieleTipps criticises: "Even though Venetica is of course an appealing RPG, it's so full of flaws [...] which in the large scheme of things lower the fun quite a bit." (free translation) - 73%
  • GameCaptain - 80%; "straightforward, action oriented gameplay"
  • Spieletester.com thinks it's a mixed effort. Technical issues, problematic controls, ugly graphics vs. fresh setting, some cool scenarios, very good audio, good story, nice quests. - 72%
  • Austrian print mag Gamers.at say "Death has never been so much fun!" - 82%
  • The always highly critical 4Players is surprisingly generous: 80%. "Nevertheless genre fans shouldn't miss out on the journey to Venice, altogether [the player] is entertained [...] on a good niveau." 4Players always tests unpatched versions.
  • Yiya.de, the most reliable source for reviews on niche games, gives Venetica a "B", downgraded from a B+ for you know what. "[...] something special and clearly the better Fable."
Deck 13 announced in the official forum that they're working on a 2nd patch.
More information.

I'm through. Venetica is a good game, but the bugs become increasingly more annoying as the game progresses. The number of bugs is relatively low, but some of them interrupt the flow quite a bit.

Gorath, through with the game for good or just until they patch it up?

I've finished it. The game is relatively short, ca. 30-35 hours. Which is something I like, I'm no friend of artificially prolonged games. The ending is pretty nice. It includes at least one bit of very clever dialog I won't spoil here.

Cool, you had me worried there for a second. WIth all that talk about bugs, I thought you meant that you were through with the game itself.

Sounds like a good game to get when it becomes available.

While I prefer long games, like Gorath I don't like ones which are artificially prolonged. Games where the last parts are just more and more combat while you struggle to reach the final boss are a particular annoyance to me.

Back
Top Bottom