Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

RPGWatch

An RPGWatch Bot
Administrator
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind is an epic, open-ended single-player game where you create and play any kind of character you can imagine. Be the noble hero embarking on an epic quest, or an insidious thief rising to leadership of his guild. Be a malevolent sorcerer developing the ultimate spell of destruction, or a reverent healer searching for the cure to a plague. Your actions define your character, and your gameplay changes and evolves in response to your actions. Confront the assassins' guild, and they take out a contract on you. Impress them, and they try to recruit you instead. No two sagas are the same in the world of Morrowind.

Players can choose to follow the intriguing main storyline, or set off to explore the huge province of Morrowind and the many interesting people and exotic locations it contains. Vast cities and remote villages dot the landscape, each with its own unique look and feel. Hundreds of quests and adventures await as you interact with characters and learn more. Regardless of whether you play a murdering assassin or a noble knight, the game holds endless possibilities and allows you to revisit the main storyline at any time.

With Morrowind, the unparalleled Elder Scrolls character system is coupled with an exponential increase in the world's richness of detail and level of visual splendor. Utilizing the latest in 3D technology, Morrowind will feature hyper-realistic textures and polygon counts, real-time shadows, vast landscapes, skeletal based animation, and a complete weather system.

Gameplay is further extended with the inclusion of The Elder Scrolls Construction Set, which will be included with the game. This powerful tool is being used to create the entire game, and will also allow players to modify and add to Morrowind in any way they see fit. Change character or creature attributes and skills, introduce new weapons or dungeons into the game, or create entire new worlds to explore. You'll be amazed how simple it is to use, and astounded by how much bigger it makes an already immense game universe. Players can easily swap files and add or delete them from their game with the click of a mouse, ensuring that no file can ever damage your game or change it permanently.More information.

Yup, currently doing a casual replay with (for the first time) a bunch of mods, and my, does the place and people look pretty with a few well-aimed mods.

I loved the original flavour of Morrowind, so I've hit a boo-boo with a few mods that changed the original flavour of the game too much. In the end, I just kept a few texture mods, a body mod, and a face mod that kept pretty close to the original idea, yet looks a lot more "polished" than those blurry originals.

PS: - and I hated those stripey rugs that reminded me of some Mexican bath-rug of my father's, so I made a point of changing those rugs... :p

I keep hoping that Steam will offer the sale they offered outside of North America with the bundled Morrowind GOTY and Oblivion GOTY for a good price ...

No fantasy cRPG to date has equalled Morrowind's visual coherence, depth, atmosphere, and sheer creativity IMO. I really wish the gameplay was just a bit better; I've attempted to replay it on numerous occasions, and have always had to give up pretty early.

It's a cryin' shame that Oblivion didn't build on Morrowind's strengths; it does fix some of the biggest issues with the gameplay, but introduces others that are arguably worse -- and replaces the wonderfully rich worldscape with generic pseudo-medieval Disneyland pap.

Morrowind was so awesome. I like it a hell of a lot better than I do Oblivion. If I could slap some of Oblivion's creature comforts onto Morrowind (larger dialogue boxes, the graphics, horsies ^_^,etc) I'd have a very fun dungeon crawler to amuse me for many years.

Morrowind ... funny thing. I got the collector's edition, yet I pretty much only used it for the TES construction kit (started on some sort of remake of Ambermoon, stopped when I found out that while the interiors could be done easily and looked just like the original in 3D, there was no way to make outside equivalents at all. Roof tiles were severely lacking).

As for the game itself, I liked the character creation well enough, but I never played more than two or three hours. I just couldn't get into it. Might have been that sandbox thing.

Some days I feel exactly the same way ...

Ya dude
It is really nice game.After long time I have seen game like this.It is full of action adventure .I also like the look of the character it is so wild.Every gamer should try it once..

Morrowind was the first RPG I ever played, and it blew me away. I had no idea what an "RPG" was, or that games like this existed. I've been a fan of RPGs ever since.

I agree Morrowind is a true masterpiece... but it's not for everyone.

You really have to like the game world and lore to get the maximum enjoyment out of it because it does have flaws.

Not that the flaws are the main reason not to love the game it's just that it's a slow game that doesn't lead you by the hand and push you in any direction so patience and a double sense of adventure & imagination can go a long way.

Fortunately there are tons of mods that improve on the small flaws and issues, the only problem with that is sorting through them all!

But what an amazing experience the world of Morrowind is and so many hours of fun to be had together with its expansions. Sort of reminds me of Baldur's Gate II - both massive, detailed filled games where you can feel the love the designers had for the genre and their creations with every new quest or area you discovered. True labors of love.

It's a shame that Bethesda decided to go in a more mainstream direction geared more towards action gamers and RPG newbies (or RPG-lite gamers as not to offend!) because had they followed Morrowind's template and just made some of the improvements made in Oblivion to combat and graphics and the Radiant A.I. (yes, it wasn't all they promised but was a step up from the ZOMBIE NPCs in Morrowind), it would have been such an amazing title. Too bad Ken Rolston left (or was fired I think).

You're still pretty fresh. ;)

It's not easy being green... But it's good in a way, because I have a sort of slack-jawed enthusiasm about RPGs that people who grew up on them don't seem to have. A lot of more seasoned RPG players, even if they are in their 20s, talk like they are jaded old men who've seen it all, "things were better in the good ol days and it's all been downhill since then," etc. I may have missed some of the classics, but I also have a sort of "beginner's mind" that enables me to approach RPGs with the enthusiasm of a kid. I'm even able to enjoy the dreaded "dumbed down console RPGs" so derided among the veterans. Heck I'm even having fun playing Two Worlds right now...

It's a shame that Bethesda decided to go in a more mainstream direction geared more towards action gamers and RPG newbies (or RPG-lite gamers as not to offend!) because had they followed Morrowind's template and just made some of the improvements made in Oblivion to combat and graphics and the Radiant A.I. (yes, it wasn't all they promised but was a step up from the ZOMBIE NPCs in Morrowind), it would have been such an amazing title. Too bad Ken Rolston left (or was fired I think).

Are you a member of Beth's forums? and if yes since when?
There were many gamers complaining because they failed to find Cassius , can you imagine Cassius using a radiant AI ? :)
Of course Morrowind is far better from Oblivion but many of the changes were made because gamers asked for them.
Combat part in Morrowind is simple: your character skill matters not your clicking.

It's not easy being green… But it's good in a way, because I have a sort of slack-jawed enthusiasm about RPGs that people who grew up on them don't seem to have. A lot of more seasoned RPG players, even if they are in their 20s, talk like they are jaded old men who've seen it all, "things were better in the good ol days and it's all been downhill since then," etc. I may have missed some of the classics, but I also have a sort of "beginner's mind" that enables me to approach RPGs with the enthusiasm of a kid. I'm even able to enjoy the dreaded "dumbed down console RPGs" so derided among the veterans. Heck I'm even having fun playing Two Worlds right now…

By all means, keep your enthusiasm, and the kid within you. You don't have to lose it as you grow older. The only thing you really lose is the chance to experience things for the first time, which at least for me is a bit sad.

I can't play Planescape:Torment for the first time again.
Can't read "The Lord of the rings" for the first time again.
And I won't see Halley's comet again.

But: I did watch the first moon landing! On direct TV!!!!

BTW, for what it's worth: People in the twenties are mere children.

Says Pibbur at level 54.

I can't watch Terminator 2 for the first time again :C

It's not easy being green… But it's good in a way, because I have a sort of slack-jawed enthusiasm about RPGs that people who grew up on them don't seem to have. A lot of more seasoned RPG players, even if they are in their 20s, talk like they are jaded old men who've seen it all, "things were better in the good ol days and it's all been downhill since then," etc. …

I was already playing RPGs for about 10 years before Morrowind, and I was still blown away by it. Stepping off the boat in Seyda Neen for the first time was an incredible experience, even if I was only seeing it at 10-12 frames per second on my Geforce 3. :lol:

And yes... some of those "seasoned" RPG players can be grumpy old farts at times.

I was impressed since the last Bethsoft game I had played was Daggerfall - which I loved, bugs and all.

I also loved the guards in this game, because when I was a criminal I no longer heard: "Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!Halt!" ad nauseum as the entire imperial legion chased me down for breaking and entering.

Are you a member of Beth's forums? and if yes since when?
There were many gamers complaining because they failed to find Cassius , can you imagine Cassius using a radiant AI ? :) Of course Morrowind is far better from Oblivion but many of the changes were made because gamers asked for them.
Combat part in Morrowind is simple: your character skill matters not your clicking.

I was a member of Beth's forums right when Morrowind came out but I stopped posting there years ago - too many kids post there (yeah, I'm a grumpy old gamer! hehe).

I'm not saying apply Radiant AI exactly as it was in Oblivion - I agree having important quest characters travelling all over the place is bad. Just have it apply to non-quest NPCs and write your quests/scripts intelligently.

And Cassius was not hard to find at all.

IMO they listened to gamers TOO MUCH and made the game much too simple. It's more like a "My First RPG" type of game where EVERYTHING is spelled out for you and it doesn't matter if you never played an RPG before.

Skill system was over simplified, you could join EVERY faction with no repercussions or penalties (I hear you could become head of the mages guild without even casting a spell!), the messed up level scaling (I mean Arena Champion at level 2?) and loot scaling (made searching dungeons pointless).

Don't get me wrong, I knock Oblivion a lot (and Fallout 3) BUT I think as an adventure/RPG-Lite console game, Oblivion is pretty good. Easy to get into, fun in short spurts, combat heavy/dialogue-light. It really does feel like Grand Theft Auto - big open world with a lot of low-depth yet fun distractions.

But as a PC RPG, especially one with a more hardcore lineage, it just fails miserably.

Back
Top Bottom