10 days until DOOM!

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Only 10 days until the new DOOM releases. Anyone else looking forward to it?

I participated in the beta and came away with mixed feelings. The multiplayer is pretty smooth, but the beta didn't give access to any of the campaign. I'm not really into multiplayer deathmatch, etc, anymore, so I'll be getting it primarily for the single-player. From what I've seen, the visuals look really good, and the atmosphere seems to be there.

It's been a long time since any first-person shooter has impressed me. I hope this doesn't disappoint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsgFB6VBshM

After the last Doom I'm definitely waiting for reviews.

I was initially a little disappointed with Doom 3, but I grew to like it once I accepted that it wasn't a sequel to the originals. In fact, I think I might try to squeeze in a replay prior to the new game.

I'm kinda excited. I did hear a rumor that Id apparently outsourced the multiplayer module of Doom to the same company that did the multiplayer for Halo 5. I think it was in one of Totalbiscuits videos. I did try and find some information as to where that rumor came from, and I don't believe I found any good sources. But you never know.

Anyway, I hope the campaign is good.

But right now I'm much more excited for Overwatch. I got into the early open beta yesterday and it is fun as hell. I love it. Highly recommended!

I'm semi-hyped. I love arcadey first-person shooters, and we haven't had many of those since the 90s. I'm mostly talking about the single-player portion, since multiplayer should be quite different.

My only (minor) gripes so far is that the setting is maybe a bit too similar to some of the old games, and that the upgrade system seems to lack direction. They've added a lot of upgrade types, but at the same time they say you can ignore at least some of them (upgrades affecting weapons and Glory Kills). That indicates either an unbalanced game or that the upgrade system is shallow. I'm not convinced an extensive upgrade system is the best choice in a twitch focused game in the first place, but we'll see how it turns out.

I'm also looking forward to SnapMap - should be fun to create some challenges, maybe even a mini campaign :) Again, the single-player bit sounds like the most fun, since multiplayer maps made with SnapMap is limited to four players (it might be possible to add some monsters as well).

Not at all interested in FPS games, and Doom 3's "monster jumps out of closet" situations happened so much that it just got hilarious instead of scary.

I've played and beaten all of the iterations of Doom over the years, but I can't say I've really been that impressed with what I've seen of the would be "Doom 4". Perhaps I'm too jaded for straight up modern FPS these days. For me, Rage was also pretty forgettable from ID, sadly.

I liked the mood of Doom 3 despite the nature of the change of game-play style compared to the originals - the plodding slow pace and claustrophobic exploration of linear spaces agreed with me. I played and completed both it and the expansion on nightmare in fact a few years back which was great fun.

Nowadays Doom has that nostalgic quality in that it was one of the very first games I played on my very first PC. I remember sneaking in a session or two in the early hours of the morning back in the day before riding my bicycle off to school. :)

Anyway, I'll have to wait for reviews on this one.

Nowadays Doom has that nostalgic quality in that it was one of the very first games I played on my very first PC. I remember sneaking in a session or two in the early hours of the morning back in the day before riding my bicycle off to school. :)

Same here. Doom was one of the titles that brought me to PC gaming. I had already played it first on the Atari Jaguar and then on the PlayStation 1, but I wanted to experience it in its full glory. The PC version was the best overall, though the PS1 version did have better BGM.

I agree about Rage being forgettable even though I still enjoyed it. I hope id is about to redeem themselves. :)

Minimum system requirements:
Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit versions); Intel Core i5-2400/AMD FX-8320 or better; 8 GB RAM; 55 GB free HDD space; NVIDIA GTX 670 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or better

That's double the size of The Witcher 3.
Does it mean to finish the game we'll have to spend 200+ hours?

Minimum system requirements:

That's double the size of The Witcher 3.
Does it mean to finish the game we'll have to spend 200+ hours?
Of course!!!

Eh...

Perhaps not.

Come to think of it, most likely not.

Pibbur who won't be surprise if it's shorter.

I wish nowadays they'd do something radically different than Doom.
Like ... a new Commander Keen game, for example ! ;)

Doom 3 scared the hell out of me, especially liked the introduction so I'm pretty excited about Doom 4. I don't care at all about the multiplayer, but maybe I'll give it a try with this one.

I picked up the latest Wolfenstein from Steam when it was on sale for a song and I really hated the save game system, which was the dreaded checkpoints. I fear Doom 4 will also use that for the Windows version. I'm also hoping they don't impose some sort of weapon carry limit.

I don't like checkpoints either. But I'm all for a weapon carry limit. Having to choose what to bring along adds to the experience IMNSHO.

pibbur who is happy that his opinion has no influence on the features of the game

PS. For the same reason I prefer that really good loot is scarce and that I constantly have limited funds in my RPG's. Sadly, few games obey those rules. DS.

I wish nowadays they'd do something radically different than Doom.
Like … a new Commander Keen game, for example ! ;)

I'm sure that these days there are several Commander Keen like games available. So no need to stop making Dooms.

pibbur

There's no weapon carry limit. Not sure about the save system, but hopefully it's not like the one in the Wolfenstein games.

If there are checkpoint saves though, I don't see it having the same impact that it did in Wolfenstein. It was extremely aggravating in those games because of how linear the levels were and the fact that you could only backtrack to a certain degree. That meant that if you missed a collectible there was no way to go back and get it without starting the entire level over again.

The levels in Doom look to be quite large and non-linear in comparison. You can see an example starting at 5:19 in the video I linked to above where they show an overhead map. In short, it looks very much like the style of the original games where the maps are completely open to backtracking.

Just watched that video and now I really am looking forward to it. No cut scenes is a plus, but I really like the Codex feature. I'm a little skeptical about the rune system though.

Back
Top Bottom