DA:Inquisition - The Decent: Review @ IGN

Despite the mixed reviews I'll probably play it at some point, but I'll wait until the price comes down significantly. Like to around $20 or so; it isn't worth $70 to me. What I'd really like to know is how this game compares to some of the other AAA titles out there. Is it comparable to Skyrim in terms of enjoyment, for example?

It's not buggy as Skyrim and unlike Skyrim it has an actual story.

Despite the mixed reviews I'll probably play it at some point, but I'll wait until the price comes down significantly. Like to around $20 or so; it isn't worth $70 to me. What I'd really like to know is how this game compares to some of the other AAA titles out there. Is it comparable to Skyrim in terms of enjoyment, for example?

In order to answer this question I'll start by a quote from mosaic earlier in the thread:

There's a 9/10 game buried under all the 6/10 rubble. But if you know that going in you can have some fun.

Which is a bit of a vagarity, because, well, everything could be argued to have a 9/10 content hidden behind 6/10 rubble. Take The Phantom Menace, The Phantom Edit notches it up a few points, but even still, sometimes there's something inherently wrong with the product that nothing bar a complete overhaul can change.

As it is with Inquisition. It's got something, that's for sure. It's got enough of those elements which fans of Bioware dream of - quirky and sexual companions which you can swap in and out, seemingly deep but generally light dialogues, the chosen one plot-line, the gloriously garish colours and sets and, most importantly, a sufficiently detailed alternative world and atmosphere for you to portal to for a few hundred hours.

What it lacks is a sense of substance. This sense that everything you're doing is in some way so, so awfully, pointless, and not in a Planescape sense, but in a sort-of BETA MMO sense. A sense of emptiness like walking round your favourite shopping mall at 9am on a Tuesday morning of a non-sale period. Areas never fully clear, either of loot or monsters, and what is cleared feels unrewarding and hamster wheely. After completing all your quests to save your cause, the quest-giver calmly puts you back to square one, please find me ten Goat Skins, as if nothing you've achieved so far has registered, the first batch of ten Goat Skins lost in the void of irrelevance.

So it depends what it is you want from it. What are the elements of the RPG, and specifically a Bioware RPG, that interest you the most?

If it's the characters, the banter, the shlocky story, the in-the-know references to previous games, the general DA universe of Templers and Mages, all thrown together like a Christmas No.1, then you'll probably enjoy yourself. If you care about what it is specifically your character is doing and the fun of challenging yourself against a game, then it will likely disappoint.

I'm not adverse to the former and I'd have been quite happy to play an RPG where I mostly just wander about doing stuff for the sheer adventure of it and I nearly bought the game. However, there's just too much vapidity for me to bare that makes the aimless wandering seem even more aimless than a stoned hippy on holiday in the Antarctic. More snow. Oh look, more snow. Yup, snow again. Why am I here again?

But I can completely understand those that love all the universe/banter stuff and consider that all that's needed. So it will depend on your needs.

Last edited:
My general impression: boring gamplay, some interesting NPCs and companions, decent exploration, tedious inventory management and crafting, mediocre character development, forgettable story, and very annoying respawning enemies.

In order to answer this question I'll start by a quote from mosaic earlier in the thread:

Which is a bit of a vagarity, because, well, everything could be argued to have a 9/10 content hidden behind 6/10 rubble. Take The Phantom Menace, The Phantom Edit notches it up a few points, but even still, sometimes there's something inherently wrong with the product that nothing bar a complete overhaul can change.

As it is with Inquisition. It's got something, that's for sure. It's got enough of those elements which fans of Bioware dream of - quirky and sexual companions which you can swap in and out, seemingly deep but generally light dialogues, the chosen one plot-line, the gloriously garish colours and sets and, most importantly, a sufficiently detailed alternative world and atmosphere for you to portal to for a few hundred hours.

What it lacks is a sense of substance. This sense that everything you're doing is in some way so, so awfully, pointless, and not in a Planescape sense, but in a sort-of BETA MMO sense. A sense of emptiness like walking round your favourite shopping mall at 9am on a Tuesday morning of a non-sale period. Areas never fully clear, either of loot or monsters, and what is cleared feels unrewarding and hamster wheely. After completing all your quests to save your cause, the quest-giver calmly puts you back to square one, please find me ten Goat Skins, as if nothing you've achieved so far has registered, the first batch of ten Goat Skins lost in the void of irrelevance.

So it depends what it is you want from it. What are the elements of the RPG, and specifically a Bioware RPG, that interest you the most?

If it's the characters, the banter, the shlocky story, the in-the-know references to previous games, the general DA universe of Templers and Mages, all thrown together like a Christmas No.1, then you'll probably enjoy yourself. If you care about what it is specifically your character is doing and the fun of challenging yourself against a game, then it will likely disappoint.

I'm not adverse to the former and I'd have been quite happy to play an RPG where I mostly just wander about doing stuff for the sheer adventure of it and I nearly bought the game. However, there's just too much vapidity for me to bare that makes the aimless wandering seem even more aimless than a stoned hippy on holiday in the Antarctic. More snow. Oh look, more snow. Yup, snow again. Why am I here again?

But I can completely understand those that love all the universe/banter stuff and consider that all that's needed. So it will depend on your needs.

Did you end up answering my question? I'm tending to think not, although there was a reference to snow in there. Thanks for responding through.

Did you end up answering my question? I'm tending to think not, although there was a reference to snow in there. Thanks for responding through.

My mistake, I thought you wanted info on the game, it turns out you just wanted a pointless polarizing argument comparing two completely different games. Thanks for asking though.

Back
Top Bottom