KoA: Reckoning - Sequel Snippets

Dhruin

SasqWatch
We know from the Amalur forums before everything exploded that Big Huge Games had started pre-production on KoA: Reckoning 2, so this post at Joystiq about the potential sequel comes as no surprise. That said, they do have some developer comments that are an interesting read:
Elements tested for the sequel were higher graphics quality across the board, no loading screens between zones, expanded and improved combat animations, fewer branching quests and greater effect on the world by players.
Not sure they'd want fewer branching quests, but there you go. On the money question:
Former BHG employees repeatedly tell Joystiq that 38 Rhode Island did give info and guidance about the Amalur IP, but it didn't produce any assets for Reckoning. In terms of the day-to-day work, the Rhode Island team "didn't work on it at all."

"Reckoning was developed with EA publishing money, NOT Rhode Island tax dollars," a former BHG employee told us. "It had nothing to do with the $50 million dollars from RI. That money went directly to the MMO project."
More information.

Oh maybe they meant to say "fewer quests with MORE branching and impact on the world." That would make more sense - but yeah that statement reads like the opposite of that. I think that might be an unfortunate type.

I'm a little confused by how there will be a sequel when there are no employees.

I'm really sad there won't be. Had high hopes for these guys, another rpg company bites the dust. Perhaps EA will think it is worth investing in a sequel....who knows?

Eveyone should know by now that EA will buy the franchise and we will see more sequels and the finished MMO . It's just a matter of time.

Good call Couch, and we thought the first game was a waste.Wait until EA gets there filthy greedy claws on the franchise.

I didn't think the first was a waste, not all of us were cheering for these guys to go down.

So there was another endless mobrespawning game in development, OMG I'm so gonna cry not having a chance to see it.

I didn't think the first was a waste, not all of us were cheering for these guys to go down.

Yeah, unfortunately there is tons of negativity around here. I love the classics too and hate some modern conventions, but don't disregard the positive directions that some games have taken.

Given the choice between branching quests that had no impact outside the little microarea they were based (which was never returned too) and fewer branching quests but more change on the world that I'm actually going to see in the rest of playing, I'd take the latter.

Eveyone should know by now that EA will buy the franchise and we will see more sequels and the finished MMO . It's just a matter of time.

Call me cynical, but I don't think so.
I guess, EA did its math by now, that is:
expensive game + low revenues equals to no sequel.
They might buy the IP regardless, but that action is just to prevent anyone to make an accidental hit in the future. Standard Hollywood practice…

Sorry for the team though. The talent was definitely there.

Given the choice between branching quests that had no impact outside the little microarea they were based (which was never returned too) and fewer branching quests but more change on the world that I'm actually going to see in the rest of playing, I'd take the latter.

I really don't remember very many branching quests at all - other than some which had one major decision point towards the end. The only one that comes to mind is one of the webwood ones and one or two of the desert ones.

Call me cynical, but I don't think so.
I guess, EA did its math by now, that is:
expensive game + low revenues equals to no sequel.
As far as we know, KoA: Reckoning was not-too-expensive game + quite good revenues, it was the MMO that was the cash drain (and no revenues).

I really don't remember very many branching quests at all - other than some which had one major decision point towards the end. The only one that comes to mind is one of the webwood ones and one or two of the desert ones.

Ahh, Webwood. That area was some of the fondest memories for me. Loved that main quest line and the atmosphere of the woods was just stunning. I also really liked the Sidhe. Reckoning had some amazing environments. Best environments I've ever seen in an RPG.

Back
Top Bottom