Rise of the Argonauts - Progress Report @ IGN

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A so-called Progress Report for Argonauts is online at IGN, although it is essentially a preview based on a new demo. Here are two snips:
It looks quite a bit like an action game because the combat takes place entirely in real-time and features an extremely minimal heads-up display (HUD) in an effort to maximize the player's immersion into the game world. Without a multitude of on-screen bars and gauges, you'll instead have to pay attention to your character's posture and wounds, which will show up on the character model wherever they're hit. [...]
The mission shown off during the demo was Mycenae, an urban island and homeland of Jason's departed wife. Before Jason gets tossed into the city's dungeons for reasons we won't go into, he has a chance to talk to the townsfolk and power himself up. Dialogue trees function sort of like they do in Mass Effect, where you select a general mood or tone of response, not the actual text of the response. So you'll see something like "You're crazy," as an option for response and instead of Jason simply saying "you're crazy," he'll perform an action or spew forth words that correspond to the general emotion of the response. In addition, each dialogue response is aligned one of four gods (Ares, Apollo, Athena, and Hermes) who watch over Jason. The choices usually correspond with the personality of the gods, so, for instance, picking an Ares conversation response will sometimes result in Jason planting his fist in an NPC's cheek. Choices made will also work to increase your favor with that particular god.
Looks like the Mass Effect dialogue system is all the rage these days.
More information.

Without a multitude of on-screen bars and gauges, you'll instead have to pay attention to your character's posture and wounds, which will show up on the character model wherever they're hit. [...]

For some reason this sounds like it would suck, especially in real-time.

Depends on how it's implemented I guess.

That's a pity. I love the Argonauts saga. I guess I can excuse quite a bit if the game is somehow related to the awesomeness of the saga. If not, not so much.

Back
Top Bottom