The Making Of Fallout 4 @ Game Informer

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Game Informer tells the story of the 7-year development of the upcoming game Fallout 4:

The seven year journey behind the biggest game of the year

Coming off of the success of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Bethesda Game Studios began work on its most ambitious game yet for hardware that didn’t exist. The team’s plans were impressive, allowing players to build their own weapons and homes, and dictate their own fates in the wasteland through intertwining story arcs and relationships that could end in love or death. The development spanned seven years, delivering successes, failures, and unexpected detours like porting Skyrim to the Xbox One (keep reading). Just 25 days before Fallout 4 releases, the creators sound off on the lengthy development process as they brace for players to experience their game.

The sprawling open-world adventures Bethesda Game Studios is known for were once made in the basement of a fairly ordinary office complex located in Rockville, Md. The floors above it that allowed sunlight were occupied by a wide variety of businesses and Bethesda’s publishing division. The enormous success of the studio’s in-house franchises, The Elder Scrolls and Fallout, led to Bethesda taking over the entire building. The lobby, which was once a sea shared by business people in suits and game developers in T-shirts, is now a gaming shrine holding an enormous statue of the Panzerhund from Wolfenstein: The New Order, and various life-size statues of characters from Fallout and Elder Scrolls. The T-shirts of the game developers won out. Bethesda Game Studios’ office was moved from the basement to the building’s top floor, its walls littered with beautiful concept art from all of its projects.

[…]

More information.

That was a good, long read. Glad to see Emil as the lead writer this time.

I visited the office in Bethesda once in '88 or '89 I think, and twice after they moved to Rockville during the early 90's. They were always pretty nice in person.

Great read and very much looking forward to the game - while I haven't played it yet, and therefore can't make an actual statement about the writing or content, everything I have seen so far (except the spouse/kid thing) looks very promising. Like the graphics and what I have seen so far in the trailers, screens, and youtube videos.

Will have a much better idea in just two days :)

Eh, from what I've seen the writing and dialogue, in particular, is very much falling behind. Facial animations and dead eye contest don't help it either.
Fallout is, perhaps the most "thematically compelling" franchise out there and in the hands of Bethesda, it's like handing out top notch race car to someone who can barely drive.
Really makes you wonder where Troika might have taken it...a very different and not all together black&white Fallout.

I predict... pathetically simplistic dialogue and dialogue trees to cut down on the [new] protagonist voice work + conform to gamepad interface.

7 years to make this crap, ok. The next game should be completely consolized and dumbed down, and still with the same old graphics engine too. Oh, they could also sell another "pip boy" toy, that will be the big draw.

I'm eagerly awaiting this next installment of Bethesda's award winning game-maker aka mod tools. I don't expect much of the base game. As long as the tools give modders a lot of freedom to implement their ideas, the result will probably be something that's gonna stay on my pc for a good long time.

But then I remember Steams paid mods...

I'm eagerly awaiting this next installment of Bethesda's award winning game-maker aka mod tools. I don't expect much of the base game. As long as the tools give modders a lot of freedom to implement their ideas, the result will probably be something that's gonna stay on my pc for a good long time.

But then I remember Steams paid mods…
Maybe better wait for 50% off? That way you get a patched game, mods are already out and the difference to full price you can spend for really good mods.

16 1/2 hours and I can start playing this, finally! Every hater just makes me anticipate the game even more. Yay, Bethesda! All hail the masters of the open-world, exploration game.

Wolfgrimdark isn't going to like the main quest of finding your
kidnapped child.

Last edited:
Oh, then I'm more than glad to help you out here: Fallout 4 will suck big time! Bethesda is stupid!

Wonderful, Morrandir. That added 40 hours to my play through :D

There are Twitch streams already. Some people got a earlier access (legal).

16 1/2 hours and I can start playing this, finally! Every hater just makes me anticipate the game even more. Yay, Bethesda! All hail the masters of the open-world, exploration game.

Wolfgrimdark isn't going to like the main quest of finding your SNIP

Thanks for that Nut (not thanks for the actual news itself but thanks for letting me know, and appreciate the spoiler tag as well although in this case I prefer knowing in advance … and of course other folks would not want to know).

Just to be extra cautious.

While disappointing it is not at all unexpected considering they went to so much effort to make a kid in the first place.

Not my kid though. My lesbian wife was artificially inseminated by some guy she hired off the street. Far as I am concerned he is just some guy. Course remains to see how much the game will constantly throw it in my face. I strongly suspect it will be a core part of the main quest though.

EDIT: Double ugg …

Upon waking up, you're off on a Mel Gibson Ransom-esque quest to find your son.

It sounds like it is a major part of the main quest line. Ah well I am sure I will still have fun with it but sounds like a one time play through for now. Guess I will need to see how integrated it is.

Last edited:
Nice background material; thanks for posting it. I enjoyed the concept art, and particularly like the idea of radiation storms that blow in to the city (presumably causing a need for everybody to find some sort of shelter). I'm looking forward to the day when I can play this...

Back
Top Bottom