I can now discriminate.

Dajjer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
No, not in the socially destructive manner.

But in my choice of RPGs. With the advent of Kickstarter, the indie explosion and a number of older game products being updated/upgraded, your normally produced RPG products, and with both my GOG and Steam inventory over 150 each, It is no longer feasible to buy any ol' RPG that comes on the market. We have to be in the Golden age of RPGs. He have ta.

I came to this epiphany when Hidden X advised of the recently released RPG card game Northmark
http://store.steampowered.com/app/307010

The game looks great but I'm currently playing Loren Amazon Princes, awaiting my collectors edition of Wasteland 2, and dying to get back into Strife. With an unplayed Might and Magic 10 staring me in the desktop face, amongst others.

So Northmark is out. And as my wife is fixing dinner I have to decide whether to practice on my guitar or play another round of Loren Amazon Princes. I think I'm getting better at making more mature decisions now . . . .

There's certainly a lot less whining on CRPG boards nowadays.

What I find funny is that so many good (maybe not great) smaller budget titles are coming out that I can safely ignore the big budget titles that don't seem to cater to 'hardcore' CRPG players anyway. I never contemplated buying DA:I, and I have zero interest in TW3. For the first time in many, many years I even start to grow a backlog of unplayed games that would usually have been must buys, like Dragonfall as well as the next SRR campaign.

Dragon Age 3 will be aging like fine wine. I'm thinking maybe (maybe) next year. But as far as TW3 (Two Worlds?), I'm a huge fan and will probably get that on day one. Unless . . .

I got the feeling in TW2 that the game play may be moving to some QTEs in the next chapter. And if that is the case, well, I got plenty of other RPGs to play.

We're definitely having a massive gaming explosion. It isn't just RPGs, either. 4X games are coming out way faster than they used to show up (and some are even good). Elite/Privateer style games got whittled down to just Egosoft's X games and the Evochron games. Now we've got Elite: Dangerous and soon Star Citizen.

I remember back in the 90's it was hard to find a game in May and buy August I was downright starved for games. MMO's helped that somewhat. But now it's never ending!

Zloth, you make a good point about MMOs. With the long term popularity and sustainabilty of just a few, they have created a huge player pool and have probably inspired many developers on some kind of level.

Back
Top Bottom