Dragon Age - Interview @ GameSpot

I'm beginning to feel nauseated by the media blitz and the over-hype with DA.... especially considering the onslaught of it we're going to face - on a daily basis, it seems - now that it's been pushed back till the end of the year.

I remember being much more exited about this one when the devs were very hush hush about the game. Just have to wait and see, I guess.....

You don't have to read every preview or interview. Atleast I don't. Building huge expectations based on previews..well I've walked down that road too many times :). Also reading every info about the upcoming game is an easy way to spoil oneself.

I think it is more that there is a current frenzy of info coming out ... I do think it will die down for a while and then ramp back up in the fall. Much of the frenzy, though, was related to the delay.

My 'hype' for the game went from 100 to 0 the day they announced they delayed it to coincide with the consoles launch, which would coincide to the new focus on these 'previews' and 'interviews'. So rogues can backstab and lay traps, and fighters can choose talents and mages can cast spells...
Wake me up in November please.

Hmmm, I don't see that big a media blitz. Aren't you blowing it a bit out of proportion?

This is no blitz yet. But I do think they might be doing a bit too much too early. Chances are they'll quiet down a bit.

My hype was at 0 too, but then David Gaider sweet-talked me back. I'm still not overly excited because I'm just not that much of a BioWare fan, but this still looks like one to watch.

I really don’t understand this. In one post everyone complains that overblown hype is bad, how gaming media is crooked, etc. In another post you’ll say how people have the right to their opinion, that you can say what you want unless it is a personal attack.

Guest made two statements, neither of which contained a personal attack, nor were they extreme. He made a positive statement that DA will be innovative, which, anyone can see was sarcastic and meant the exact opposite.

Then he stated he had nothing to say. This of course came after putting two quotes together that did not make any sense when viewed together. I played Mass Effect, no sane person can say the game was not dumbed down. It was retardedly easy. It failed in every conceivable and unconvievable way as a game. The story and character interaction was the saving grace of it (and made it worth buying and playing), but mechanics-wise and challenge-wise it failed horribly. In my opinion. We’re still allowed to have those, right? This is the only game I ever played where the story and character interaction was good enough to carry the PoS game and actually make it worth “playing.”

It seems there are some unspoken rules on this forum (which are self evident from reading this thread):

1) Its okay to attack someone and call them mean and hurtful names, such as trolls, when someone expresses an opinion the hive-mind does not agree with.

2) General forum rules do not apply to game developers. You are never allowed to be critical of a game in which a developer of that game posts in. This is probably due to game devs being a big draw, and unregistered posters not being a big draw. But, for whatever reason, pointing out the obvious to a game dev is not allowed.

3) Sensibility goes out the window when it comes to bioware and hype. It is well know, and accepted, that games for both PC and console are dumbed down for the console market. But that does not apply to Bioware since their games have never presented a challenge to players on any medium. But neither does Blizzard. It’s not a bad thing. They want their games to be accessible, accessible means removing the challenge. Challenge doesn’t sell and both Bioware and Blizzard want their games to sell well. How can we claim to be adults, and sane, if we are not allowed to accept self-evident truths. Bioware’s goals are to make blockbuster super-selling games and you can’t do that without accessibility, and accessibility now is a synonym for “unchallenging.”

People play video games to have fun; some people think challenge isn’t fun, some people do. If you want a challenging game, don’t look to Bioware or Blizzard to provide it. If you want a blockbuster game that millions of people will love, then look to those two companies.

The bottom line is people should be held accountable for the words of their mouths. If a bioware dev wants to claim their games are challenging (not dumbed-down) they should have their games provide a challenge, or be held accountable for the statement. If Rpgwatch wants bioware devs not to be held accountable for their words and off-bounds for criticism, then add it to the forum rules. Because this makes no sense at all. Don’t hype a game with nonsense and expect intelligent people not to see through the hype.

That the poster was unregistered was just a scapegoat, as I believe any scenario would’ve led to attacks and craziness being directed at the poster of the two statements that did not break the forum rules.

And no, I was not the guest.

Okay, flame away and call me a troll and tell me how wrong and stupid I am.

Unrestigered definitely likes to talk a bit too much, but he actually has a point. Guest's posts were lazy and in being lazy probably meant to provoke (and that's the definition of a troll), yet his point was clear (and fair, BioWare does hype their games and the point on Mass Effect and dumbing down is fair). Dismissing it as rudeness as Weekes did is Weekes' own choice, but not really something I feel we should all get behind.

But...er...all these site policy discussions are spreading out a bit too much. It might be a good idea to focus them before they take over real game discussion, which is what this forum is here for. Fair enough Unrestigered?

My fear is, that they have to reveal more and more of the game to keep the buzz alive. That also was a problem of Mass Effects PR, because it spoiled half of the game.

Nah, Avantenor, like txa said we should expect them to tune it down before raising it up. If they have to keep up this stream until release then yeah, we'll know everything

Besides, you can always just tune out the PR and ignore any news if the info barrier you feel comfortable with has been reached. At least you have that option, I don't :p

Uhm, unfortunately I'm in the same situation as you.

Oh, sorry, I didn't realise that. Who're you covering the game for?

Unrestigered definitely likes to talk a bit too much

If I didn't I would be called lazy

but he actually has a point

Stop! You’re making me blush!!!! :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Guest's posts were lazy

I guess he needs to talk too much.

and in being lazy probably meant to provoke

If it wasn't lazy it wouldn't have meant to provoke?

(and that's the definition of a troll)

In that case, a lazy hype statement that is lie is also provocative, in which case Mr. Weekes is also a troll. Or we can say calling someone a troll is a personal attack, as the trollishness will always be a matter of opinions and degrees, and opinions are always as wrong as they are right. Some people say very retarded things, but calling them a retard is still agianst the forum rules.

Fair enough Unrestigered?

Well, that was a lot of talking, but I managed to read it all, and fair is fair, Mr. None. :iloveyou:

Because you are an anonymous troll. Dealing with you is a waste of time. Do us all a favour and go away.

Can we please, please require registration before posting. The right to post insipid asinine drivel is something that will probably always exist online, but this is intolerable.

Dealing with me is a waste of time? Insipid asinine drivel? What did I post to get such a response? I don't remember insulting anyone. Not in this news post, anyway. ;)

Back
Top Bottom