What games are you playing now?

Warcraft III - halfway thru SP campaing. You'd think I'd be all into the Undead faction, but I'm not. I'm more Night Elf, so I cant wait til this leg of the campaign is over!

Majesty 2 - running thru it again, going to play all the standalone missions and Kingmaker expansion again.

I tend to replay WC3 once or twice per year. Excellent game, I love the orc and night elf campaigns. Basically I don't like Arthas, or any campaign he's involved in (not even in WC3: Frozen Throne).

Good memory, I actually forgot about that. :)

It was the secret code for a weapons locker, wasn't it?
Doom 3 just happens to be the game I'm currently replaying. And yes, it was the code for a martianbuddy.com weapons locker :)

Just started to replay Quake 4.

Majesty 2 - running thru it again, going to play all the standalone missions and Kingmaker expansion again.

Can't wait to get the expansion. Majesty 2 is just too good.

Indecently have you seen, The Sims Medieval. I know I'm very much in the minority here with liking The Sims games, but this one could have some potential if they mixed it with just enough of the Majesty flavor. I don't think they will, but I'm still keeping my eye on this one.

What I dont like about Majesty 2 is the way the game zergs me, like instantly. Give me a chance to at least get a guild of some type up and a minion or two out. As the game campaign progresses, this gets even worse. If you can get past that initial hump, it's pretty much smooth sailing for the most part. More difficulty means zerging you with greater numbers, earlier. That's just frustrating.

Tried playing L4D again, I just cant get into it. Maybe if I go for multiplayer that would rejuvenate the thing, but for now it's just boring. And i hate the unique infected, I absolutely hate them messing things up when I'm having a good time. If someone wants to pehaps play a little L4D MP, let me know that might be fun.

I dont do the sims, not for the fact that I'm opposed to them or anything, I just dont want to get into another easy addiction!

Main course:
Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars (Director's Cut)
Overlord
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II
Grand Theft Auto IV (Secondary content)
Grand Theft Auto IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony (Might relegate it as I'm not enjoying it that much)

Snacks:
Half-Life 2 (Replay)
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II
Puzzle Quest 2
Mass Effect 2 (Replay)

"Cancelled" (i.e. given up on):
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Drakensang
King's Bounty: Crossworlds
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
League of Legends
... OK, pretty much everything else.

And knowing me, that won't change for quite some time because I'm absolutely terrible when it comes to playing games.

I've finally gotten Fallout 3 stable enough to actually enjoy it, and I've been playing for ~40 hours with a bunch of mods - most notably FWE.

For exploration, it's fantastic - and I always thought so. So much stuff to find and nice little mini-stories. Too bad the actual writing is mostly crap and WAY too "insane-for-fun" for my tastes. It seems Beth can't really take anything seriously without faltering.

In any case, with the right mods - it's a great game for certain things and though it's been a NIGHTMARE getting it to work properly, I consider it worth it, finally.

Today my specimen of "Viva Piñata" arrived. :)

I'll try it out at least this evening ! :)

Oh oh oh Alrik, please tell me how you like it! I wanted that game since it came out for the 360, but I didn't want to buy a 360 for it. And what's more, I held the PC version in my hands in a store today, but I didn't have enough money on me so I bought bargain-bin-Bioshock instead (I was in desperate need of a 'new' game). Is it a full online game or a game with online features you may use (but don't have to)? I wasn't sure when I read the description on the box.

As part of my catching up on classics, I "finished" a run through of the campaign for Age of Wonders. ONE path (halflings - dwarves - elves) of a branching campaign. There are high men and lizardmen alternative sub-paths, in addition to the mostly disjunct evil path using orcs, goblins, undead, and dark elves.

It's a great turn-based game, without a doubt, but I'm moving on. I enjoyed the hero development aspect of AoW, the protagonist being one of them. No just hanging out in a wizard tower (ala MoM) for him! By the end I had 4 uber heros (including Julia); each could take on whole armies on their own. That, and few summoned gold dragons made all the other units almost pointless except for guarding cities. Rather unbalanced. This is the optimal approach because this game highly favors a strategy where you rush enemy and neutral cities as fast as possible to deny your enemies resources to upgrade and build larger armies. Also it puts a damper on their annoying incursions into your territory... A defensive approach is definitely NOT the way to go in this game.

I moved on to finish Mask of the Betrayer (hopefully). I finally got through the Slumbering Coven and started the Thayvian Academy. Playing a goodie goodie, so the Coven survived. I am distinctly getting the impression that this campaign would be a lot more exciting as an evil character that devours every soul and spirit in sight and gets lots of unique essences for crafting by doing so... It would feel wrong, though, and would be more of time panic because of increased hunger and the spirit meter, which would probably not make it worth it for me...

It's the latter.

Uses GfWL, though, so if you hate it then stay away.
Oh, thanks for the info. I have no experience with Live, though - I heard it was a bit... erratic, but that's all I know.

Home for a few weeks to recover from surgery so it's the perfect time to catch up which basically means trying to finish games that have been on the queue for a year or so (some longer... and the list below isn't even half!) or give some games a 2nd or 3rd chance…

Let's try to finish:
- Persona 3 FES (PS2)
- Digital Devil Saga 2 (PS2)
- Mass Effect (360)
- Lost Odyssey (360)
- Fire Emblem: SHadow Dragon (DS)

Another try:
- Fallout 3 (360 this time, PC version previously, actually enjoying it more now)
- Divine Divinity (PC - about 80% through at some point last year but starting new game - love the game)
- Dragon Age (360, got stuck at some point a few months ago, just restarted. Enjoying it more this second time around)

Recently acquired games I should probably put aside until I finish the above:
- Fable 2 (360)
- Darksiders (360)
- Odin Sphere (PS2)

And STILL haven't touched the Might & Magic 1-6 collection I got from GoG. WHich reminds me I still have an unfinished game of Heroes Of M & M III on my PC!

Too many games, not enough time.

A defensive approach is definitely NOT the way to go in this game.

Which could explain why this game was so hard for me. If I remember correctly, I always played it this way.

I remember really terriffic battles. Especially in AOW 2, I had one that I'll possibly never forget because after defending the town I had only ONE unit left - and that was a summoned unit ! - out of I think a hundred or so, because everything else was lost. I always feared the Reapers most, because they could do the most terrific damage. It was always a frightening thing to be attacked by a host of high-level units with only (but a lot) low-level units available. Like in the example I described above (the defending of a town).

I usually often scorched teleport points, by the way, because this was the easiest way to interrupt enemy streams.

Yep, Reapers were one of the toughest enemies (along with Astras and Warlords)...

Most of the strategies I've read promulgate a careful defensive build up of cities before moving on to the next take over. But as the campaign progressed through the scenarios, found it quite the opposite as my heros became stronger and I had better high level experienced troops carried forward form previous scenarios. A rush as soon as possible worked! Many times I was VERY short on gold income and I was VERY close to losing units/heros near the start. I built my heroes defensively (with a focus on stats for defense, resistance, and parry after everything reached about 5), light and water spheres for buffing, healing, and rejuvenation. I found the (air sphere) the most useful for rushing and great for softening up and stalling hordes of enemies on the battlefield with chain lighting, birds eye view to see where to go next, and the freeze water sphere to make rushes across water barriers possible. I found the boats were too risky AND too slow / expensive to upgrade/build. The Town Gate was also critical for warping back parties to defend cities when needed, and then going back to the front. I slowly built up hero spellcasting skills to reach level V in the last scenario. Being able to summon a gold dragon per hero in 4-5 turns is priceless. ;)

A fair bit into "Realms of Arkania 3: Shadows over Riva" now - and I'm really enjoying it :) Actually I'm trying to play Fallout:NV at the same time, but I find myself spending more time with RoA...

It was a "rough birth", one could say, and I almost gave up on it before I even got started. Creating a party takes a *long* time for this game, and pretty much requires you to really study the manual. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I spend 2.5 to 3 hours creating characters, before seeing the game world for the first time. And by then I had even given up on creating a "perfect" party.

At some point my plan was to only use a 5 member party, since I couldn't figure out what to put in the last slot. So I started the game and found my way to the first fight. My group of five carefully crafted characters versus 4 skeletons. I won... but only barely! All my fighters were lying, bleeding and unconscious, on the ground. I hauled my sorry ass back to town to sell the loot and then spent a week resting in an inn :)

So I went back to the drawing board, added a 6th character to my party with some skills and spells I missed on the other. Then I started over. And I haven't really had any problems since then. In fact the game and game world is really cool and filled with role-playing atmosphere.

(.. to be honest - it was my own fault I got bashed in that first fight. I was playing it way too simple, not using magic enough. I'm very sure I could easily have continued playing with the original band of five characters, if I had wanted to)

Can anyone tell me if the RoA story is a trilogy? so that I should play 1 and 2 first to follow the story of 3 or if it doesn't matter ?

Can anyone tell me if the RoA story is a trilogy? so that I should play 1 and 2 first to follow the story of 3 or if it doesn't matter ?

It doesn't seem to matter that I jumped into the series at RoA3, but there *are* a couple of (vague) references to the previous games. I think it depends on how much time you have, and also the first game in the series looks quite old - even compared to RoA2 and RoA3 :)

But to be honest, I think it would be a cool experience to play through the entire trilogy with the same party. And given how much I enjoy RoA3 I think I might end up playing the other games as well anyway..

You should also consider how much of the hard-core stuff you want. Even though RoA3 is still pretty "hard-core" in terms of CRPG mechanics they actually cut away some of the really silly stuff - like the need to micromanage the clothes for the entire party, based on current weather. You know: is it cold, wear a winter coat.. is it hot, take off the coat or get a heat stroke :) The fact that RoA3 takes place within a city makes certain things easier..

Back
Top Bottom