Piranha Bytes - Working on New Game

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Game Pressure has news about Piranha Bytes working on a new game, and the developer says that, "Every Gothic fan should have a look at it".

Here is the information.

Our associated website, gry-online.pl, has published an article remembering the first installment of the Gothic series. On the occasion of this piece, they had a chance to ask a few questions to Björn Pankratz, the only current employee of Piranha Bytes who used to be a member of the old team. One of the topics discussed was of course a potential return of the classic action RPG franchise. They learned that the studio is currently working on a title that may satisfy fans of Gothic. When asked about the possibility of a remake of the first part of the series, Björn said:

"You should never say never, but at the moment we're working hard on another project and we're very interested to see if you will like it as much as we do. We think every Gothic Fan should have a look at it”.
More information.

A new game from Piranha Bytes will be received by me with a huge welcome.

Currently I'm playing PB's Risen 1 and I must say I'm enjoying it. I have yet to play the Gothic series.

0 hype since PB now is just a name
unless they do a hd remake of gothic 1+2

101% hype on my side.

After misreading a certain info about Unreal engine where JDR made me to reread it again.
Any revisiting Gothic or a kind of it's spiritual successor is something I'll instabuy.
Also unlike some people (you hear this Angry Joe?), I had so much fun with Risen series I wouldn't mind even a fourth installment.
Whatever it is, I want it. Desperately.

A message to PB however, hopefully I won't have to register on WoG or WoR to write it.
PB games, in fact all german RPGs, need more humor! Stop making nonhuman humans! Humor is a part of humans.

Venetica had humor. Many ironic or sarkastic dialogs.

Every rule has an exception. And in this case, it was a great one. ;)

But IMO, although everyone will look at me with much suspicion here, PB, Deck 13 and Reality Pump should merge into one company.
Each one has their aces, and of course their… Won't say fails, but rather misconceptions. :)
Imagine if all of their best ideas were used in one game. It'd be a masterpiece.

Oh yeah... Just don't let Deep Silver to decide who'll write the script! :evilgrin:

Yeah Piranha Bytes is dead, the developers who made it unique are long gone. The magic is never coming back.

I disagree. I don't think the risen series rises to the same level as G1/G2. But they certainly are good games worthy of any PB fan. After being hooked on dark souls 2 for the past 4 months I've finally started Risen 3 and find it to be quite fun.

So I think there's still plenty good possibility for PB to crank out something great in the vein of G1/G2. Time wil tell.

Skip 2 and play 3 to save time since 3 is MUCH better than 2!! :)

Well Risen 3 does have some story elements, and NPCs from from Risen 2. So I would say don't listen to Corwin this time, and play both Risen games.^^

Last edited:
I didn't play 2, but enjoyed 3. The reviews of 2 were a turn off, while nearly everyone agrees that 3 is much closer to 1. Unless you're a mathematician!! :D

I didn't play 2, but enjoyed 3. The reviews of 2 were a turn off, while nearly everyone agrees that 3 is much closer to 1. Unless you're a mathematician!! :D
Yeah Risen three had better reviews, but the sale numbers could of been better.

Don't skip Risen 2! It's a great RPG. The world is beautifully crafted as only Piranha Bytes seem to be able to do, and there is around 60 hours of pure RPG fun to be had.

Expect a real RPG with Risen 2. The pirate theme is actually really unique and fun! :)

Risen 2 is def the worse PB game made so far. Bland environments with QTE's. Boring characters. Worst combat system of any Gothic/Risen game - from the overpowered firearms to the twitch melee (didn't try magic). Big step down from Risen 1 which was already a step down from G3 which was a step down from G1&2. Haven't played R3 yet.

I found Risen 2 rather mediocre. It had good parts, but sometimes it was so boring that I had to force myself to continue playing.

I wouldn't skip anything by PB. Certainly not if you're a fan of immersive worlds built with care and attention to detail.

Sure, Risen 2 had some significant flaws, but it's still worth playing and then some.

Back
Top Bottom