Votes: 47 57.3%
  • Boxed Games

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Depends I Buy Both

Votes: 22 26.8%

• Total voters

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Well now that the old poll is over five years old it's time to reopen the age old question once again. So lets call this the 2015 edition of," Do you prefer Boxed or Digital Games?"

For me, it depends on the platform. I haven't purchased a boxed PC game since 2011, but I still prefer to have a physical copy for console games. I guess it's worth mentioning that I purchase far more PC games.

Digital all the way, with very few exceptions. One exception is some console games, because the digital versions tend to be a lot more expensive around here (sometimes up to 30-40% more expensive) - even though I vastly prefer them, as I hate having to keep the disc in the drive to play a game.

I moved to another town early last year and I was really awestruck over the amount of junk that I had collected in drawers and cupboards over the years.

One thing that stuck out the most was the obscene amount of game-cd:s, game-dvds, old fashioned game boxes and the odd huge "collectors edition" that I had lying around in all possible places. Then and there, I made the decision that from now on it had to be "Digital Download" all the way.

Last box I purchased was Sacred 2 back in 2011, and that was only because I happened to wander past that sad, dusty little shelf in the back corner of Gamestop that holds their PC games and see that it was only $5.

I do miss the days of walking in to Babbages or even later on Best Buy and seeing those long rows of nothing but boxes and boxes of PC games. It was somehow more satisfying browsing those aisles than it is looking through the Steam store.

I guess technically I've purchased XBox and 3DS games in the physical format recently, but I'm assuming the poll is asking about PC games.

Its funny how things change. In the previous poll I recall answering "boxed", but not anymore. The last boxed version which I bought was Skyrim back in 2011 and because it is a steam game, there is really no need for physical copy. I think i've used the disc only once. So digital all the way nowdays.

I will somewhat miss that feeling of walking into physical game store and browsing their collection, but times change.

I was sorta okay with all digital…I'd come to peace with it. Then I won that D:OS Kickstarter Edition box. Every time I walk by that bookshelf and see it there on the top shelf, it gives me a really genuine sense of joy.

So now I've changed my tune a bit. And if I can ever get my hands on a boxed copy of Pillars of Eternity, I'm gonna take the opportunity. I haven't even played it yet and I know I want it.

Come to think of it, we did go out to midnight release so we could get DA:I in physical form too…and obviously we only get boxed for Vita/3DS because it saves memory space...

Yeah. Still boxed. *crosses arms*

Thats a good point Aubrielle. I also enjoying looking at my boxed video games as it reminds me of how much fun i've had playing those games, but it has become quite difficult to get physical versions of pc games. And besides when the physical version still requires steam / orgin / uplay etc to function properly, the physical version doesn't feel so special anymore. Or maybe its just me being weird :)

I buy most of my games digtially. But I buy boxed if there is a game I'm really looking forward to. Especially if there is a collector's edition with physical things that I, unlike most others (?), find worth the investment.

I still keep the TW2 bust of Geralt looking down at me from a shelf, wearing a tie nicely decorated with MRI images of a knee.

Same with music. I buy most of the stuff from emusic and itunes and occasxionally bandcamp. But I'll definitely buy the next Dream Theater release (this autumn) on CD.

Same with books.

pibbur who will at least consider buying a boxed version of the next elder scrolls game, and not just because it may annoy a swede or two.

Last edited:
Last game I bought in a store was in….'04 I think. I didn't care for the Steam concept at all whatsoever when I first heard of it in like, '05 I think it was. When someone explained the offline play mode to me in person and showed me how it worked, I gave it a shot, and grew to accept it. However, that does not mean I want twenty different systems on my computer, and platforms like Origin and Uplay have such a stench associated with them that I'd never permit them to exist on my computer. Steam is my one and only concession, other than Everquest games.

So, long story short, I do prefer digital. I'll take my games without so much garbage and boxes, please! I must say, however, that this choice is only for games, I still prefer real books and such, would never opt for digital versions as far as reading goes.

Digital here too, preferably Steam. I do get boxed versions sometimes. I have two boxed copies of Divinity Original Sin and I think I'm getting the boxed version of Pillars too. I like to decorate my study/man cave/spare bedroom with game maps and posters :)

I only buy digital games these days, no boxes ever.

Its funny how things change. In the previous poll I recall answering "boxed", but not anymore. The last boxed version which I bought was Skyrim back in 2011......

Well, after buying Skyrim in a boxed version I totally understand why you didn't buy anything else in boxed form after that.... ok, sorry, couldn't resist, but I know it is not what you meant.

Only digital.

Using Steam as my primary distributor causes a little headache though. If Steam some day gets shut down, all of the games might be lost.
I really hope for GOG Galaxy to become big and nice to use, so I can buy everything there, where once I've a downloaded copy, I can install play the games even in 500 years when GOG is deas as well.

BTW,

Did anyone buy the boxed version of Dragon Age Inquisition? What does it come with? I haven't got the game yet but it looked very tempting on the shelf.

Digital 4 Life.
I cant imagine have boxed editions of all my hoarded titles, id have to rent a storage unit!

I still keep the TW2 bust of Geralt looking down at me from a shelf, wearing a tie nicely decorated with MRI images of a knee.
….

BTW: below is Geralt and his tie. The MRI shows no obvious pathology.

picture.php

pibbur who probably has too many things decorating his den.

Long ago, I decided to invest in people and art over material things. I've never really looked back.

Well, it isn't exactly one thing xor the other. My problem isn't the things I have in my den, but more the time I spend playing single-player games or lurking on the internet,.

pibbur who

I'm not going to start an argument over this, let's just say that I don't agree with the seemingly basic view that it's necessarily is about prioritizing one thing over another.

pibbur who admittedly in 1 minute will prioritize gaming over spending time on the watch

Back
Top Bottom