Underworld Ascendant - Final Week

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
OtherSide Entertainment's next kickstarter update talks about how combat will work in Underworld Ascendant, and mentions the campaign is entering the final week.

Today we are entering the FINAL WEEK of our campaign. It’s been a wild ride. There are now more than 10,000 of us strong on this ride, and more coming in every minute. Yesterday was the best day the campaign has seen in over 2 weeks!

With this being the final week of the campaign, it’s time to shift into a higher gear…

We’ve got some awesome stretch goals, which many in this community want us to reach. We can deliver on at least some of these stretch goals if we can make a big push during this final week.

We have been holding steady at an average of $55 pledged per backer, with less than a dollar swing since the first week of the campaign. Some folks have already pledged all they can afford. We are humbled and deeply thankful to them for doing so.

Others folk are able to step up to higher tiers. As of this morning, we are less than $35,000 from reaching the $600,000 in base funding. If half of the 10,000 backers each stepped up their pledges by $10, we’d be well past that mark and into the first stretch goal overnight.

Getting past the $600,000 mark helps motivate those fans who are hesitant to pledge until the base goal is met to join us. We are virtually certain to reach the $600,000 at least a few days before campaign ends. Each day sooner that this happens is another day sooner to pull in these waiting-in-the-wings fans, which will in turn give us more momentum to reach higher stretch goals.

So please consider stepping up during this final stretch. It’s the most tangible way today you can leave your mark on what we are together building with Underworld Ascendant.
More information.

Last edited:
How the Hades is this game not funded yet!?

At least I am now confident it WILL fund. I was worried for a bit ...

The questions is, can this be done decently for $600k? Making a modern game is expensive.

Unless the people involved work for very low salaries its gonna cost 100k per person per year when you count salary, taxes, health insurance, rent, equipment, utilities and misc crap. I just don't see a good game coming out of this. 600k will pay for 6 skilled people for 1 year.

Anyways, its gonna be funded and I hope I'm wrong and the game turns out to be awesome but I'll be one of those that will buy it after release and a bug patch or two if it turns out to be good.

Looks like there will be a late push and I bet the game will get $750k+ at least by the end.

One would hope that the planners thought ahead of time of exactly how much money they'd need to do the game justice. I believe that it should make it's goal, but I'd hoped it would happen weeks ago, tbh.

You will get anther JAF for $600K the question ois how much addiitonal funds do they have to produce a better game or if they have jobs on the side to cover development time. Even $4 million would be tight for the game they are trying to develop so I think the reality is either they have other jobs and the game will take a while or they have additional funds (i.e, they pay themselves after the game is finished) or we will get crap.

The questions is, can this be done decently for $600k? Making a modern game is expensive.
I would assume that the developers all have shares in the company, and will accept maybe a lower income knowing they will get to share in the profits once the game has been released. If the games a hit then they should make out like bandits. A lot of small companies work in this way.

Update: Just checked KS and they are currently on $598,389... not long now!

Last edited:
Funded - well done! Hope they can achieve some of their newly fleshed out milestones.

Sad to see this game taking 20 days to get funded while an MMO (Crowfall) gets $800k in two days on Kickstarter!

One would hope that the planners thought ahead of time of exactly how much money they'd need to do the game justice. I believe that it should make it's goal, but I'd hoped it would happen weeks ago, tbh.

$3 000 000 approximately. The rest they hope to get via early release sales. They probably plan to finish 25% of the game, put that to Steam store and if people say its worth continuing, then they continue to make the remaining 75% for years to come.

$3 000 000 approximately. The rest they hope to get via early release sales. They probably plan to finish 25% of the game, put that to Steam store and if people say its worth continuing, then they continue to make the remaining 75% for years to come.

That could be a raw deal for backers if the early release sales don't materialise.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they get some big contributions in the last days, now that they've hit the goal. The sheer potential of this game is staggering, it really could be exceptional.

They did mention (in their RPG Codex interview, I think) that they have raised some outside investment as well, although they didn't say how much or from what source.

I haven't seen anything to make me think Otherside is being dishonest about their intentions. They seem to honestly believe they can deliver the core game they're promising with the resources they're asking for. The only question in my mind is whether their belief is backed up by solid experience, and for that I can only look at the track record of the developers.

To me, it looks like a risk, but one worth taking. If it doesn't pan out, well, KS is an investment and sometimes investments go bad. (My pledge for Hero-U doesn't seem to be working out as well as I'd hoped, for example.)

Funded - well done! Hope they can achieve some of their newly fleshed out milestones.

Sad to see this game taking 20 days to get funded while an MMO (Crowfall) gets $800k in two days on Kickstarter!
While its sad the MMO has a bigger following thats the difference. I remember Deathfire & Guido Heckle saying there are not enough fans to fund these type of games.

Link - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/g3studios/deathfire-ruins-of-nethermore

So I'm glad this one at least made the funding goal.:celebrate:

Yes. I do have my reservations, but I'm very keen on the idea, and this is one of those projects that just smells right to me.

It's a shame that the next stretch goal is a Tracy Hickman novel. Apart from the fact that my bookshelf is hardly crying out for such a thing, what a shame to spend money on that rather than the game.

Back
Top Bottom