Arcanum - Review @ GamersInfo

Sorry, it's a new one on me!! Maybe some of our Codex members might be more aware of it!!

I have never even heard about that fixpack. Some patch notes and compatability with official patches as well as mods would be nice.

Arcanum is a game I keep meaning to return to, but whenever I do try I end up just getting muddled in indecision regarding a character build and concept.

Play your favorite class, Gallifrey. There are plenty of good NPC's to pick up along the way to bolster any weak points.

This site has a nice rundown on the NPC's available, as well as a pretty good non-spoilerish walkthru.
I think the magic/alchemy/elfish route is a bit easier at first than the techie path. I always say I'm going to replay as a tech char, but I end up making my same half-elf girl every time. :)

Terra Arcanum has a lot of info and links as well. They also have a lot of fan patches, though I've never had to use any.

See, that's the problem, my favourite class could go either magic or tech. I generally like to play a thief type of character with some degree of talking skill.
My last attempt at playing had me torn between a Half Orc gunslinger mercenary type and an Elf magical rogue type. I like the Half Orc character a bit better, but the magic offers a lot of fun, while tech is a bit tedious though ultimately cool.
The Half Orc dialogue was fun for a while, but after a bit every conversation went pretty much the same route, from being insulted, to having the option of either being violent or groveling.
I also have about a half dozen other concepts that are perfectly possible to make in Arcanum kicking around in my head. It's the indecision that kills me!

My last attempt at playing had me torn between a Half Orc gunslinger mercenary type and an Elf magical rogue type....
The Half Orc dialogue was fun for a while, but after a bit every conversation went pretty much the same route, from being insulted, to having the option of either being violent or groveling.
I also have about a half dozen other concepts that are perfectly possible to make in Arcanum kicking around in my head. It's the indecision that kills me!

I think that's called role-playing. ;)

My son went the Half-Orc route(one of the ugliest female chars I've ever seen, especially in a Victorian ballgown) when he played years ago and he could be heard chuckling maniacally from the computer room pretty frequently. I don't think he minded the resorting to violence part--he somehow acquired high tech skills and made lots of major UZI type things.
My problem the first time through was a bit similiar to yours, only I resolved my indecision by going for a little of everything. Man, does that ever not work. I had gathered some cool blueprints earlyish, only to find that when the components finally became available I could never build them. Same with my alchemical stuff--too techie.
So the next time thru it was with great relief that I found myself refused entry to the train as being one of those regressive magic users. :)

Hmmm, feels like it might be getting time for my annual playthrough . :)

My problem the first time through was a bit similiar to yours, only I resolved my indecision by going for a little of everything. Man, does that ever not work. I had gathered some cool blueprints earlyish, only to find that when the components finally became available I could never build them. Same with my alchemical stuff--too techie.
So the next time thru it was with great relief that I found myself refused entry to the train as being one of those regressive magic users. :)

I've never finished the game, nor even come close. My furthest foray was with a bit-of-everything Halfling and yeah, it really didn't work. None of his skills were high enough to be effective and the game just kind of fell apart.
I think the only way I'll ever complete the game is if I essentially put blinders on, paying attention only to the things which effect my character, ignoring the rest.
Because the game has something for everyone, I keep running into things and thinking "ooooh... that'd be cool!" and end up restarting.

Arcanum is the only game which gives me these troubles!

Back
Top Bottom