Pillars of Eternity - Gameplay Teaser & Interviews

ToN is in a much earlier stage than this game though, so that's hardly surprising. AFAIK it wont go into full production until Wasteland 2 is done, so we've just seen the concept of ToN so far. But yes this indeed looks really great :)

I'm referring to the overall style of the game more than the visuals. This looks like a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate in a similar way that Numenera is to PS:T. If that's the case, then there's no contest for me as to which one I'll like better.

sounds a bit like the ToEE tbh…

Indeed - Pretty impressive that it's just one dungeon. Makes me wonder how large PoE is altogether.

Looks pretty good, though the animations are a bit awkward - and that fireball didn't quite work.

Given Obsidian's track record with polish and QA - I'm sceptical when it comes to the final technical state of the game, but I really like what I'm seeing so far.

Given Obsidian's track record with polish and QA - I'm sceptical when it comes to the final technical state of the game, but I really like what I'm seeing so far.

This is my real worry for the game and that's one of the reason why I didn't fund them on KS. All their games I have played (NWN2, AP, NV and DS3) lacked polish and these days when other companies are getting this right, Obsidian needs to do more.

That trailer almost made me cry. Pure joy though. Obsidians record of interesting stories outweigh their record of bugs about 10:1 in my book. Not worried at all, just eager to get my hands on this gem.

Yep QA and polishing is no replacement for talent and creativity ofcourse :)

That said they really do need to step up their game in those areas (even someone that is as forgiving as me on bugs and visual glitches would be happier for it).

We don't want another Troika in our hands... :-/

10 years ago I wouldn't have given a monkey about bugs, polish and all that but these days I don't have much time for games (lucky to get 10 hours per week :( ) so these things matter to me.

My problem is that I don't think THAT much of their writing or games in general. They're still pretty good, though, but I consider Troika to be in another league entirely.

Obsidian are as much contract workers as they're visionaries. Well, to me that is.

But this game is looking good and I'm hoping it's more from the heart. But I'm getting a sense of fan-service rather than true passion from it. Avellone seems to be all over the place these days - and there's no way he can do that and have his heart entirely in each project. I smell overextension and a tinge of mediawhoring from him, which might offend fans - but that's life.

I hope I'm wrong, though.

Well, depends on the bugs. Game breaking ones like quest lines not working is of course a big no no. But graphical glitches or other polish bugs? No problem.

Well yes I do rate Troika quite a bit higher (was a bit of a fanboy too I guess).

That said, for todays standards they are pretty good (compare them with Bethesda i.e ;) ).

I can't say that there are a lot that do anything more than decent and serviceable these days. Them, CDPR (which I don't really rate higher) and a couple of others here and there perhaps… Definitely not Bioware i.e …

Edit: Writing wise I mean...

Well yes I do rate Troika quite a bit higher (was a bit of a fanboy too I guess).

That said, for todays standards they are pretty good (compare them with Bethesda i.e ;) ).

I have much more admiration for what Bethesda is doing, considering they're working under the horrors of the publisher model and major AAA expectations. They're the ones building games. Obsidian tend to use established engines and assets, which is almost trivial in comparison, and yet they keep messing up. I know Bethesda uses the "Creation" engine - but they've done a TON of work on the technical side - and they're basically building games from scratch.

Arguably, Obsidian's most significant work on an existing engine was Neverwinter Nights 2 - and that game ran like a dog on top-end hardware for months and month. Also, they managed to mess up the editor by making construction too complex and the modding scene never took off properly as a result.

On top, they all but ignored the multiplayer aspect of NWN - which was basically the entire concept of the game.

I can't say that there are a lot that do anything more than decent and serviceable these days. Them, CDPR (which I don't really rate higher) and a couple of others here and there perhaps… Definitely not Bioware i.e …

CDPR are amazing, hands down. Frankly, I'm extremely impressed by their passion and sheer competence.

I know most of the Watch are big fans of Obsidian, and I respect that.

But I'm not as focused on archaic RPG models as most are around here, and I'm likely a bit more interested in technology than most fans of the old-school. This makes me somewhat less forgiving of lacking polish and technical glitches, something which Obsidian is (in)famous for.

But it's true, they're pretty good when it comes to writing and mechanics. They're definitely more old-school than most other non-indie developers.

*EDIT*

Oh, if we're just talking about writing - then we agree, Bethesda aren't very good at all :)

Obsidian tend to use established engines and assets, which is almost trivial in comparison, and yet they keep messing up.
They lack competence in the technical field. I won't argue with you there…

I have much more admiration for what Bethesda is doing)

Bethesda's strength for me is pushing the envelope on immersion and sim aspects and yes the technology that is necessary to drive them nowadays. That is why I appreciated Skyrim quite a bit. The writing was serviceable (a step up from Fallout 3 i.e) the mechanics and gameplay too streamlined and not very engaging (but definitely a step up from Oblivion esp. with the more elegant handling of scaling i.e) but the exploration and atmosphere was top notch and this is the kind of game I want to see from them in the future (and then the modders do their magic)

They lack competence in the technical field. I won't argue with you there…

Bethesda's strength for me is pushing the envelope on immersion and sim aspects and yes the technology that is necessary to drive them nowadays. That is why I appreciated Skyrim quite a bit. The writing was serviceable (a step up from Fallout 3 i.e) the mechanics and gameplay too streamlined and not very engaging (but definitely a step up from Oblivion esp. with the more elegant handling of scaling i.e) but the exploration and atmosphere was top notch and this is the kind of game I want to see from them in the future (and then the modders do their magic)

I essentially agree, though I found the mechanics a LOT better than their past games. Also, it seems the work involved in making a game like Skyrim impresses me a lot more than it does you. I don't think what Obsidian is doing with Unity and making a game based on an old formula is very impressive at all. Doesn't mean it won't be a great game - it's just not very exciting to me. I vastly prefer taking things to the next level over redoing the past.

You're right, no need to further derail this thread.

Obsidian tend to use established engines and assets, which is almost trivial in comparison, and yet they keep messing up.

Arguably, Obsidian's most significant work on an existing engine was Neverwinter Nights 2 - and that game ran like a dog on top-end hardware for months and month. Also, they managed to mess up the editor by making construction too complex and the modding scene never took off properly as a result
I know what you're talking about. I've been staff of an NWN² persistent world for years. That wasn't fun in technical respect...

Looking good. Very good, in fact. It's easy to imagine BG3 looking something like this.

Regarding Troika: Tim Cain is currently working on Project Eternity, so the project basically includes the best of Troika + Black Isle at the moment. Of course, that doesn't mean a thing regarding the amount of bugs in the game..

By the way, I suggest we keep using PE as the acronym. PoE may be confusing.

That kind of stuff is important.

Some of the areas in the video reminded me of Torment and everything was great.

Regarding Troika: Tim Cain is currently working on Project Eternity, so the project basically includes the best of Troika + Black Isle at the moment. Of course, that doesn't mean a thing regarding the amount of bugs in the game..

Troika+Black isle/Obsidian I would be highly surprised if game doesn't come out with decent amount of bugs on release.

Back
Top Bottom