Drakensang: TDE - A Closer Look Video

Eh, why do we even have to prefer one to the other, anyway? :thinking: There's room in our hearts for both of them. :)

Can't we love both of them and still prefer one?:p

Also, old stuff Fluent? Yuck!

I tried to think of something old, other than games that I like and couldn't.

I don't like old music,movies,tv,cars, technology or food.:biggrin:

At least not as a whole, there's always a song or movie or something but for the most part give me new,new,new.

Funny thing, my oldest son (18), loves old stuff. He's watch and listened to more old movies and music than me and his favorite games are baldurs gate and ultima.

Not sure where he gets if from, except for the games of course.:)

I adore old music. I collect rare records from the '60s, '70s and '80s. Love that stuff! Love old movies as well, old TV (one of the only channels I watch on TV is an epic old TV sitcom channel :D), old cars are cool (although I'm not really a car guy), old technology is awesome (give me old synths and vintage stuff to play with any day!) and old food, well, I don't like food past it's expiration date. :lol:

Your son has a good head on his shoulders, it seems. :)

I love old stuff too Fluent. I have a 65 Mustang Fastback and a 2014 version. The new one has zero soul despite being superior in every technical aspect. I bores me to death and just sits in my driveway. It has 5800 miles on it because its so freaking boring. The 4 speed manual is so much more interesting than the 6 speed. The manual steering feels better than the dead but stiff tight ratio power steering. So much character in the old one. So much soul.

I would've really liked Drakensang but for the combat. Loved the skills and system, hated how the AI would go straight for the weakest armored characters and how my melee guys couldn't effectively protect the backline. Would've been fine (even preferable) if the smarter enemies did this (going for the squishies) but iirc *all* enemies did this. To the point that I had my melee damage guy wear as light armor as possible (since he didnt really draw aggro) and my backline guys spent mos of the time kiting enemies while my melees chased them. Choke points didn't really work well as enemies tended to go through them and each other. Finally had to stop playing because it just wasn't fun anymore.

Well, it seems a little strange to me. There are several social skills to use in dialogues, crafting skills, hunting and thieving skills, some special skills like perception and iron will, combat skills (for both att and def), weapon skills, few puzzles too… so where is the problem with interactivity and abilities there? Can you compare it to other RPGs? Do you think the game lacks something new, is it old-school too much?

I haven't said there are no skills, I said there weren't enough powers and toys that I liked and looked forward to - as my character progressed. I haven't played it since 2008, so don't ask me to be specific.

It lacks something exciting, like powers and toys - interesting writing, interesting exploration, an interesting setting, interesting NPCs - and so on.

It's not about what YOU find interesting.

Is it that hard to appreciate that you like apples and I like bananas?

They are both good games though, and everyone should buy them.:nod:
I won't argue about that, for sure ! It's just I've been more into TDE for some reasons I can't point to :)
It's a shame the developer was bought by Bigpoint, and Drakensang was turned into an online browser game.
I must confess I once registered to the online game, though I never played it. I still receive their newsletter and maybe one day I'll see for myself ? :)

…a generally run-of-the-mill, plodding and repetitive experience the campaign provides.
I disagree on that. The story telling is far from stellar, that's correct but the overall campaign is very well balanced and keeps the player entertained from start to finish, which is no small feat if I refer to 99% of the cRPGs I've played since 1990.

I disagree on that. The story telling is far from stellar, that's correct but the overall campaign is very well balanced and keeps the player entertained from start to finish, which is no small feat if I refer to 99% of the cRPGs I've played since 1990.

Except that DeepO obviously wasn't entertained from start to finish.

Do you have trouble distinguishing that which you, personally, enjoy from what other people enjoy?

Why is it so important that everyone agrees with you about this game?

Bold statement, Gloo! I haven't played enough of the TDE system to really prefer it over D&D, but it's certainly shined brightly in the 2 games I've experienced it in. :thumbsup:
I think I've played most of the D&D games edited for the PC since the Mighty 8088 ruled them all, back in the days. Since my first travels through Aventuria (The Nordic trilogy), I fell in love with The Dark Eye and how detailed it is when it comes to represent the world and how the characters interact with it.

I think the skill checks are some of the best in the genre. The game was really built to implement these checks well. Cool stuff! :)
You're so correct ! So many times I've felt the satisfaction to see how reactive the game was to how I develop my characters compared to so many D&D games where nothing shows (except the brigandine or longsword you wield, at most).

I would've really liked Drakensang but for the combat.
I've finished TDE a long time ago now but I don't recall having such problems like the one you describe. As far as I can remember, the only two real difficulties I encountered were in the beginning and near the end game. I struggled very hard in a sewer (if my memory serves me well) with a female dragon (or was it a giant spider ?) ; that one was the hardest moment in my play through but that relates more to my lack of familiarity with the combat system (here I refer more to the graphical presentation than to the rules per se). The second difficulty advent with dwarves. I don't recall the specifics about it but I think that was in their city or just past it ? Overall the combat was one of the most tactically satisfying IMHO, far superior to Neverwinter nights due to the party I had to lead and how precisely I knew each member and designed them with care !

It lacks something exciting, like powers and toys - interesting writing, interesting exploration, an interesting setting, interesting NPCs - and so on.
The only concession I would make with your list is exploration. There are not enough really interesting places to discover in the game and perhaps a certain lack of freedom, even though it's not sold as an open world. There are numerous places of interest but the inability to enter houses in Ferdock (an example) is frustrating when you're coming from cRPGs like The Elder Scrolls or Ultima. :)

The only concession I would make with your list is exploration. There are not enough really interesting places to discover in the game and perhaps a certain lack of freedom, even though it's not sold as an open world. There are numerous places of interest but the inability to enter houses in Ferdock (an example) is frustrating when you're coming from cRPGs like The Elder Scrolls or Ultima. :)

Words can't express my appreciation of your concession ;)

Except that DeepO obviously wasn't entertained from start to finish.

Do you have trouble distinguishing that which you, personally, enjoy from what other people enjoy?

Why is it so important that everyone agrees with you about this game?
I don't bother about that but I cannot agree with people telling every one here some things I consider as being wrong. I'm unable to shut up when I sense unfairness. On the other hand I could ask you the same : Why do you feel so strongly important to diminish the importance of other's opinion that diverge from yours ?

Didn't you mean condescension instead ? Because that's what I feel.

That was not my intention, but I can't take responsibility for your feelings. Those are your own.

It was my way of pointing out that I'm fine with our difference of opinion - even without you conceding one of my reasons for holding mine.

Another way of saying it, is that I think our discussion ran its course a while ago. No real need to go over it and trying to dissect that which won't lead to any kind of improved understanding.

It's this little thing called subjectivity that - for some - is almost impossible to accept.

Not to me, though.

I don't bother about that but I cannot agree with people telling every one here some things I consider as being wrong. I'm unable to shut up when I sense unfairness. On the other hand I could ask you the same : Why do you feel so strongly important to diminish the importance of other's opinion that diverge from yours ?

Why is it unfair that other people disagree with you?

I feel it's important to explain to you that your opinion is just your opinion. You keep talking about it as if it was some kind of fact.

Am I wrong? Do you really accept that Drakensang isn't necessarily objectively as good as you think it is, subjectively? Because if so, then I'll stop trying to help you to understand how opinions work.

Back
Top Bottom