Mass Effect 3 not supporting gamepads on PC

wolfgrimdark

Follower of Fenris Wolf
Original Sin Donor
Not that I am a fan of controllers or ME games but found this to be an interesting news bit … although from what I read Bioware has never provided much support for controllers in their other games either.

How do those of you who enjoy controllers on a PC feel? Should they include the support or not?

http://www.vg247.com/2012/02/15/no-gamepad-support-for-mass-effect-3-pc-says-bioware/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-why-pc-mass-effect-3-doesnt-support-gamepads

There's no BioWare masterplan behind Mass Effect 3 not supporting gamepads on PC - the team was overstretched and couldn't spare the time and effort required.

"There is a development cost in terms of time/effort to get all the graphical user interfaces so 360 buttons show up on PC," senior designer Manveer Heir explained to Eurogamer reader j0hn385 on Twitter.

"It may seem minor, but our GUI team was already stretched thin, and things were coming in at the last minute, so we couldn't add more work."

Last edited:
I think that's great. Then they can spend time getting the k&m controls right. Seem like every pc game I've played with controller support has compromises. Such as too many menus to navigate through, lack of key mapping, short lists to scroll through rather than using the whole screen etc. etc. Really if you want to use a controller you can just play on console.

I'd never even consider putting a controller on my pc. I've got a PS3 for that, and I quite prefer a keyboard and mouse.....heck, if I could get a keyboard and mouse for my PS 3, I'd DO THAT!!! I think, similiar to like WoW graphics, I just consider gaming controllers aimed at kids or people that don't know how to use a keyboard, tbh.

-Carn

Shooters in particular are much easier to operate with K/M. The only genre where I prefer a controller are third person free roamers, like GTA.

While I don't mind the option to use a gamepad, it is hardly a deal breaker for me when it comes to these types of games, I much prefer to use my keyboard & mouse. I only use my gamepad for 2d platformers and 2d shooters anyway.

While I couldn't care less about a gamepad on a PC, and think that including such on a multi-platform release usually means it will have crap K&M controls (*cough* Skyrim), you really can't read too much into the article given ME3's support for Kinect...

This is mostly irrelevent actually. Since most PC gamepads come with button mapping software, you can still use one if you really wanted. ME3 won't be "plug and play", but you can still configure it to a gamepad if you choose.

I'd never even consider putting a controller on my pc. I've got a PS3 for that, and I quite prefer a keyboard and mouse…..heck, if I could get a keyboard and mouse for my PS 3, I'd DO THAT!!!.

Couldn't agree more! Don't get me wrong, different strokes for different folks and all that… I just can't wrap head around the concept of using a gamepad to play a PC game.

I don't quite understand it. UCh an console-oriented game like ME3 doesn't support typical console controllers ?

If they won't be supoorted for the PC - how are they going to let this game be played on consoles ? With console gamepads ???

console gamepad -> yes
non-console gamepad -> no

Double standards in my eyes.

Couldn't agree more! Don't get me wrong, different strokes for different folks and all that… I just can't wrap head around the concept of using a gamepad to play a PC game.
Certain games are nigh impossible to play on a standard keyboard, either due to the digital controls (playing certain games that requires a lot of precision is easier with an analogue stick), or because they keyboard can't handle enough simultaneous key inputs (either in total, or because the keyboard can't handle certain key combinations). Fighting games in particular are usually hard to play on a PC without a gamepad.

I enjoy using GamePad in games like Assassin's Creed and Force Unleashed (even if I play them on PC). The PC works just great as a console if connected to the TV and it can be quite relaxing to sit back in a chair and use the gamepad.

But not in shooters.

Certain games are nigh impossible to play on a standard keyboard, either due to the digital controls (playing certain games that requires a lot of precision is easier with an analogue stick), or because they keyboard can't handle enough simultaneous key inputs (either in total, or because the keyboard can't handle certain key combinations). Fighting games in particular are usually hard to play on a PC without a gamepad.

Oh I agree, I just never considered fighting games to be "PC" games, I've always thought of them as console or arcade… But in the instance of using a PC to a play a fighter I can see why one would desire a gamepad.

Flight sims are another exception, they almost(or they do - not sure?) require a joystick… Not big on flight sims but my father is/was.

I enjoy using GamePad in games like Assassin's Creed and Force Unleashed (even if I play them on PC). The PC works just great as a console if connected to the TV and it can be quite relaxing to sit back in a chair and use the gamepad.

But not in shooters.

I also agree with this, but generally using a PC as a console does not lend itself to playing games best served on the PC with a M+KB - to take your example, shooters.

I should have been more specific in my original post,

"I just can't wrap head around the concept of using a gamepad to play a game designed for the PC that plays to the PCs strengths -> mouse and keyboard in this case."

I just think it's easier/more convenient to play console games on consoles.

While I wouldn't use a gamepad for a shooter it worries me that they're cutting corners so close to release, rush-job anyone?

After the EA merger and DA2 fiasco ME3 is going to make or break any interest I have in Bioware games.

I am still surprised ME1 and 2 don't have gamepad support. Even DA2 didn't have gamepad support. Yet they're all console ports. Bioware are just insane.

I am still surprised ME1 and 2 don't have gamepad support. Even DA2 didn't have gamepad support. Yet they're all console ports. Bioware are just insane.

Is it really a console port, or simply console centric? IIRC ME3 and DA2 are/were multi-platform, IE built concurrently and internal…

Of course they're console ports. Have you played ME1, ME2 or DA2? I'd think the tight cameras, console-style dialog wheels and the bizarre interfaces built with gamepad navigation in mind would give away the prime development plaform. :p

I play all PC games with a gamepad. Sitting on the couch in the living room with TV as monitor and wireless gamepad in my hands. :)
I don't care if it is supported or not. I just need to map the K+M keys to the gamepad. Not a big deal and the controls are where I want them. No struggling with a unlogical layout. The only thing I miss is the force feedback, but even for games supporting it most of the times it won't work.

Back
Top Bottom