What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Even without Paul Verhoeven, it will take a helluva lot of bad publicity to steer me away from Gary Oldman and Michael Keaton.

...he shoulda lost both arms though ;)

I even read news that Flash Gordon and Robocop are getting rebooted also.

Yeah, I mentioned Robocop just a few posts above yours. ;)

I haven't heard about a Flash Gordan remake, but I loved the original when I was a kid.

Speaking of which… the Sam Jones cameo in Ted was awesome.

Yeah, I mentioned Robocop just a few posts above yours. ;)

I haven't heard about a Flash Gordan remake, but I loved the original when I was a kid.

Speaking of which… the Sam Jones cameo in Ted was awesome.
I didn't read your post sorry.:worship: I was mostly replying to the two posts above mine. I agree with the Ming scene in Ted was the best part of the movie. Especially the duck.:lol:

As for another movie remake is anyone here interested in another Scarface because it's getting the remake treatment also.

Well here is a list of 75 more movies getting the reboot/remake special. Seems Hollywood is out of ideas.;)

Link-http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/rem...-remakes-and-reboots-currently-in-development

I even read news that Flash Gordon and Robocop are getting rebooted also. So basically any movie from the last 20 years might get one.

Here is the Robocop trailer.

I've heard good buzz around Robocop but I'm leary too after the new Total Recall and Conan movies. After the Frank Miller sequel and Peter Weller pulling out of the third one there was the made for syndication tv series that did alright. I'll see what the result is.

That last Spiderman was ok. Not great, but ok. I wish I hadn't have bothered. So a new Batman? Well I'm curious what they can do with a World's Finest team up, all building up for a Justice League. Maybe they'll finally get that Wonder Woman movie done.

Flash Gordfon would be grat, but I don't know how well it would do. People had forgotten about Dick Tracy when that came up - the movie did well but the merchandise didn't sell. It was too late - it should have come out the same time as Buck Rogers, so it would almost be the same as starting a new IP.

Ahahahahaa, I knew it!
Check my posts from a year ago or so where I said go watch Headhunters before Hollywood remakes it.

But for some I really can't understand the "need" for remake, for example Escape from NY, who needs a remake of that cult classic? Or Argento's Suspiria, hell are they normal? The catch of that horror was not horror elements but the movie style, and you can't copy or remake that. Timecrimes? For god's sakes there are so much better timetravel loop/paradox movies (an example: Triangle, I think it's australian movie and is definetly not widely known about for whatever reason), this one is good, but definetly doesn't deserve a remake.

Whatever, I wish good luck to Hollywood and am pretty sure I won't watch most of those remakes.

Last edited:
Can you explain the low rating on imdb and metacritic?

Nah, don't bother. Not being yucky slowmoving drama or documentary, you can't go high on those sites. I'll rent it as soon as it becomes available here.

Perhaps it's a bit too cerebral and realistic to suit the dumb-downed masses. ;)

I have little patience for bad internet reviews from clueless losers, but I read a few of the ones on imdb with low ratings. They seemed terribly superficial and stupid.

I can't rightly explain the bad reviews - it's one of the best scifi movies I've seen since Moon and Sunshine. It's not littered with explosions and it's shot in a pseudo-documentary style, so those might be detracting factors for some. There's even a well-scripted mini-mystery to keep viewers intrigued while the astronauts are on their journey.

The ending is kind of flat, not bad per se, but its forgivable given the overall quality of the film.

Jeez, I just watched Battle L.A. and Dredd - both competitors for the Waste of Time Award! :uhoh:

IMO both movies were boring, clichéd in a very frustrating way and stylistically inconsistent. Acting was underwhelming (if not abysmal). In addition to that, none of the flicks was trashy enough to appeal to me after all ...

While the fact that I correctly identified the alien cannon in Battle L.A. as a Boston Dynamics rip-off cheered me up at least a little bit, I found the level of casual graphic violence in Dredd repugnant.
Horrible, horrible movies.

While the fact that I correctly identified the alien cannon in Battle L.A. as a Boston Dynamics rip-off cheered me up at least a little bit, I found the level of casual graphic violence in Dredd repugnant.
Horrible, horrible movies.

I actually found Dredd to be pretty decent. And a good action movie. Way better than the original. Plus, Karl Urban did the role without showing his face at all.

Battle LA was pretty shitty indeed.

Well, I didn't like Dredd a bit. I nearly fell asleep toward the end! The only decent thing about it was Lena Headey IMO.
The 'original', on the other end, was campy and over-the-top in a fun way. And it had Hammerstein! Without the 'Rover' plate, but Hammerstein nonetheless :D. Nothing can beat Hammerstein. Not even Lena Headey.

You're the first person I'm seeing who disliked Dredd.
It is not a masterpiece ofc, but is very good and respects the source comic.

Well, I've never been much into the Judge Dredd comic books, which may be the reason for this. But I'm a rabid ABC Warriors fan, so there … I was actually kinda glad the crossover (comic) was a one-off thing, and they retconned it later on.

Hmmm. Thinking of it, I'd really love to see an ABC Warriors movie.

Back
Top Bottom