Bioshock - Issues Addressed

If Gothic 3 is a fumble, then Dungeon Lords is a mis-cast spell which renders you inside out before exploding you, guts flying everywhere ...

I'm not so sure about that. They're pretty close as far as bugginess goes, but Gothic 3 was a much more anticipated game release, so the resulting "thud" was much louder.

I don't agree. Bradley had a reasonable following, Gothic 3 didn't include 4/5 of the game where they hadn't actually placed any content (from furniture to NPCs)...and at least G3 is ambitious, which in hindsight, DL wasn't.

In fact, this may go down as the worst fumble in PC game launch history.

I think that honor still belongs to Gothic 3 for now.

Ultima Online, Star Wars Galaxies and Ultima 9 come to mind. Ultima 7 too maybe. Riven's launch on DVD wasn't smart either. A lot of units sat on the shelves.

Or how about Return to Zork's 45mb object file on the hard drive requirement? That was a lot of space back then. Gothic is still not well known enough in NA to make that distinction.

Another bad launch? The Wing Commander movie.

Don't forget the Pools of Radiance:ROMD wipe your hard drive thing. That probably didn't help sales much either. :)

The bad thing is that even after things like this are fixed, the internet buzz never seems to quite catch up, and the game keeps its reputation as having the scary issue.

Back
Top Bottom