Today is ...

… sattelite day (which fortunately has nothing to do with the German Eurovison Song contest entry)

1537: First complete English bible printed
1582: First adoption of Gregorian calendar. But not in Norway, therefore tomorrow will still be 5th of October to me! And by extension to this thread.
1636: Sweden pwnd some army
1777; Sir William Howe pwnd George Washington at Germantown. Possible because of all the mutants.
1830: Introducing Belgium, who after this date has been a nation of harmony and unity.
1883: Introducing the Orient Express. No murders.
1927: Introducing Mount Rushmore.
1957: Intorducing Sputnik 1
1976: Introducing Intercity 125 High Speed Train, at a puny 201 kmph.
1985: Richard Stallman introduced Free Software Foundation
2010: Pibbur seems to insist that "intorducing" should be written "intorducing"

Notable births:
1895: Buster Keaton who btw has 790000 results on Google
1942: Johanna Sigurdadottir, who has the pleasure of being the current prime minister of the Ashlands, … eh.. Iceland
1959: Chris Lowe, pet shop boy
1979: Adam Voges - never say I forget weird sports in Australia
1984: t.A.T.u 1

... null in 1582 version of Italy

1864: Cyclone in India nearly destroys Calcutta and kills 60000.
1905: Wilbur Wright flies 24 miles at Mach 0.05
1962: Dr. No shaken in first James Bond film.
1969: It's ... it's ... it's ..... Something completely different: The first Monty Python episode
1984: First Canadian in space. Any Australians? Any cricketers? Huh, huh, huh?
1991: Linux kernel 0.02
2000: Bulldozer revolution in Belgrade, Serbia. Exit Slobodan.

Here comes:
1936: Václav Havel
1952: Clive Barker
1958: André nKuipers, Dutch astronaut. Any Australians? Any cricketers?
1975: Kate Winslet

I predict that there is more than 2012 results for Nostradamus on Google.

... another non-existing day. In 1582. In Italy.

68BC: Lucullus pwnd the great Tigranes of Armenia. And celebrated victory by having a lucullan dinner with himself.
1995: Michel Mayor and Didier Queloz found planet 51 Pegasi B.
1600: Start of Baroque period
1683: First German immigration to America
1889: First movie by Edison. Wot? No CGI? Forget it!
1927: First significant talking movie: The Jazz Singer
1945: What's a pet billy goat? And why is it playing baseball?
1976: End of Cultural Revolution in China
2007: First human powered around the world trip finished. In slightly more than 80 days.

Notable introductions (got it right this time, yay!):

1573: 3rd Earl of Southampton
1716: 2nd Earl of Halifax
1977: MiG-29
1987: Republic of Fiji
1950: David Brin

Cricketers were born in 1900, 1930, 1946, 1975, 1984, 1986 and 1992. Cricket is known by 91 600 000 Googles, but only 75 5000 if we restrict the language to the Hero's tongue.

I think he went into hiding after admitting he played WoW and liked Vanilla Oblivion :D

Perhaps I should start to play WoW...? I liked Vanilla Oblivion as well.

… the day Pibbur after uncountable requests resumes his duties. It is also the day he will, in another thread, explain why he enjoys playing Wow.

539 BC: Cyrus the great couldn't be tamed and entered Babylon
1675: First use of the long "S" as a symbol for the integral. Good ol' Leibniz and na-na-na-na-naaaa-nah to Newton!
1792: Alexander Arthur Hood spotted Mount Hood, near the river which later was named after the Pentium 4 CPU. Or the other way around.
1863: Chattanooga Choo-choo performed at the Battle of Wauhatchie.
1863: International Red Cross formed in Geneva.
1923: Mustafa Kemal Ataturk becomes the first president of modern Turkey
1929: Black Tuesday (I know it's friday today, but back in '29 it was a very depressing Tuesday)
1991: Galileo spacecraft approaches 951 Gaspra, which for the astronomy-challenged of you is an asteroid not likely to collide with Earth.
1998: John Glenn becomes the oldest person in space (77 years)

Notable appearances:
1957: Dan Castellanata. D'oh! (admittedly very predictable, that one)
1968: Johann Olav Koss
1969: ARPANET
1971: Winona Ryder
2004: European Constitution. Since Norway is still outside the EU: Meh!

Notable disappearneces:
1964: Star of India

Uncountable requests?
Well, for once, let's disregard the fact that integers are countable. And admittedly there has only been 3 requests (including posts by GG and Jaz). We know that ravens can count to 3 (it's very likely that they can). Ravens are among the most intelligent birds, which means that most birds are not as intelligent, and therefore probably can't count to 3. So there are at least some species that can't count to three, and for which anything > is uncountable. 'nuff said (maybe I should have used the word countless in stead, but that would destroy all the funny parts)

There are 39 100 000 googles for "World of Warcraft", but only 9290 for Pibbur

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE
2010: An australian car smashes through the bedroom wall of an australian home landing on the bed. Which fortunately was unoccupied because the owner (not the owner of the car, silly) was busy doing something with his PC (an example on why using laptops used while in bed is a bad thing). The news did not elaborate on why this happened. I can only assume it has something to do with cricket.
END OF UPDATE

Last edited:
Hah, it worked ;).

… mischief night in the US. And the day Pibbur decides to postpone the thesis on why he like Wow, which he promised yesterday, until tomorrow.

1501: Ballet of Chestnuts banquet held by former catholic cardinal, son of pope Alexander VI, Cesare Borgia; attended by 50 prostitutes. Given his somewhat dubious reputation, I wonder how many survived the event.
1864: Denmark permanently looses control over Schleswig, Holstein. My congratulations!!
1938: The World is invaded by martians, according to some american radio station. Which proves that Orson Welles was/is an alien in disguise.
1947: Jack Roosevelt Robinson becomes the first black Major League Baseball player.
1960: First successful kidney transplant. A milestone in modern medicine.
1961: Joseph Stalin moves from the Lenin mausoleum to some place near the Kremlin wall.
1961: Tsar Bomba! 50 megaton. A small fart compared to the meteor impact back in 64 997 990 BC
1995: In a referendum in Quebec, 50.58% voted for remaining a part of Canada. My question is, of course: What would the result have been if a referendum were held in the other provinces asking if Quebec should be allowed to stay? Je ne sais pas.

1944: Anne Frank is transferred to the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp, where she dies approximately half a year later.

Notable first appearances:
1821: Fjodor Dostojevskij
1939: Grace Slick
1947: WTO
1960: Diego Maradaona
1966: Voice of Scooby-Doo
1970: Tory, who-you-gonna-call Mythbuster!
1980: Foo!!!
1987: NEC TurboGrafx-16 Entertainment SuperSystem console. Another nail in the coffin for PC gaming. Hah!!

The popularity of Pibbur sinks to 9170. World of Warcraft explodes at 93 400 000 googles. Something's rotten in the state of Denmark.

1944: Anne Frank is transferred to the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp, where she dies approximately half a year later.

I have never read the published contents of her diary, but there is one section that makes me nearly cry every time I read it, and it is narrated in Mike Oldfield's "Millennium Bell" section called "Liberation" :

When the birds sing outside
And you see the trees changing to green
The sun invites one
To be out in the open air
When the sky is so blue, then
Oh then, I wish for so much!

And the best remedy
For those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy
Is to go outside
Somewhere, where they can be quite alone
With the heavens, nature and God

… World Savings day, and the start of xSamhainx

1864: Nevada enters the US, very predictably as state number 36.
1923: The first of 160 consecutived days in Australia with temperature > 310.93
1999: Some yachtsman returns to Australia (of all places!) after sailing alone around the world in (slightly more than) 80 days.
2000: The first Resident crew enters the international space station.

1795: The John Keats persona
1851: Lovisa of Sweden, Quen of Denmark!?!
1916: Carl Johann Bernadotte, andother piece of Swedish royalty, king of nowhere
1930: Michael Collins, moonwalker-wannabe?
1941: Mount Rushmore, depicting the 5 members of Deep Purple
1942: Major Winchester III
1947: Gunhild Øyangen
1957: Shirley Phelps-Roper. We hatesssss it forever…
1961: Larry Mullen
1961: Peter Jackson
1986: Swedish Solidarity party
1986: Christie Hayes, came home from far away (Don't ask me why!!!)

1926: Harry Houdini
1986: Swedish Communist party

And just to make things clear:
Rule 1: You don't talk about Pibburs upcoming Wow defence!!
Rule 2: You don't talk about Pibburs upcoming Wow defence!!

Houdini is found in 5 740 000 places, Pibbur is hiding in 9430.

Last edited:
… the first Day of The Dead. Which probably has nothing to do with the walking dead.

1520: Ferdinand Magellan, during his 80 days trek around the world discovers the strait surprisingly called the "Strait of Magellan". What a coincidence!
1612: Time of Troubles in Russia. After that everything has been on the green.
1800: John Adams enters the White House
1805: Napoleon invades Austria (Remember: Austria makes very good cakes)
1814: Congress of Vienna opens to discuss this and that after Napoleon was kicked out of Austria (and several other countries). One result: Norway escaped Denmark (Yay!) only to be given to the Swedes(Argh!) - which is why we hatesss sssaid conferenssse.
1870: First weather forecast by the US Weather bureau
1938: Seabiscuit pwns War Admiral
1939: The first rabbit is born after artificial insemination. One question: WHY would anyone do that?
1945: The Bruces of Australia joins the UN. Thanks mates!

Notable 1st time appearances:
996: The name "Ostarrîchi" which apparently is an old high Germanic way of saying "Austria"
1512: The ceiling of the Sistine Chapel
1604: The tragedy "Othello" by William Shakespeare (or, if you believe the conspiracy, a Shakespeare wannabe)
1611: The comedy "The Tempest" by William Shakespeare (or, if you believe the conspiracy, a Shakespeare wannabe)
1896: Picture showing bare (female) breasts in National Geographic magazine.
1901: Sigma Phi Epsilon. Eh….
1911: A bomb from an airplane
1952: Mike
1962: Magne Furuholmen
1963: Rick Allen, another drummer. Only 170 days until Mike Portnoy turns 48
1978: Mary Kate Ols.. sorry Schellhardt, american Actress

Notable 1st disappearances:
1814: 300 German states. Merged into - according to Wikipedia - "a much more manageable thirty-eight states". You don't say!! Another result of that filthy austrian congress.

According to Google, cricket is 8141 times more popular than Pibbur

Last edited:
... a day I have decided doesn't exist. Therefore, nothing to report, not even cricket.

… the day Pibbur after uncountable requests resumes his duties. It is also the day he will, in another thread, explain why he enjoys playing Wow.

Where's your WOW thread ? Because playing WOW doesn't make sense to me...

1675: First use of the long "S" as a symbol for the integral. Good ol' Leibniz and na-na-na-na-naaaa-nah to Newton!

You made me look this one up. :D

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE
2010: An australian car smashes through the bedroom wall of an australian home landing on the bed. Which fortunately was unoccupied because the owner (not the owner of the car, silly) was busy doing something with his PC (an example on why using laptops used while in bed is a bad thing). The news did not elaborate on why this happened. I can only assume it has something to do with cricket.
END OF UPDATE

And living on the second floor is a good thing :D

... ludi plebeii day

1428: Jeanne d'Arc pwns Saint-Pierre-le-Moutier
1825: An eerie canal is completed, marrying The Atlantic and the great lakes.
1890: First deep level tube railway surfaces in London
1921: SA founded by Adolf Hitler
1922: Entrance to tomb of Tutankhamun found by Lara Croft
1924: Nellie Taylor Ross becomes first femal governor in the US
1952: NSA
1956: Soviet troops enter Hungary
1973: Car free Sunday innthe Netherlands due to the 1973 oil crisis. We had those in Norway to. At the age of 18 I found it extremely funny to walk in the middle of usually heavy traffic roads.
1994: Conference in SF focuses on the commercial potential of WWW.

Notable 1st tme appearances:
1923: Freddy Heineken. Cheers.
1937: Hot lips
1956: Jordan Rudess

What is World of Warcraft?

There are 1,440,000,000 googles for "google", 9300 for "pibbur"

1973: Car free Sunday innthe Netherlands due to the 1973 oil crisis. We had those in Norway to. At the age of 18 I found it extremely funny to walk in the middle of usually heavy traffic roads.

I heard we had them here, too.
But I was too young to realize.

I am pretty sure Tutankamon was not found by Lara Croft and SA wasn't founded by Hitler …
I might be wrong of course ;)

Hitler and SA came from Wikipedia, and Alrik provides more information.

Regarding who discovered the tomb of Tutankamon, there may have been a minor inaccuracy on my part. I've made a principle out of not checking references that much. HOWEVER, while there are 4,620,000 googles for Lara Croft, there are only 317,000 results for Tutankamon. So there!

Back
Top Bottom