Faery - Screens @ Blues

This looks so ... weird, so odd, I must buy this instantly ! :)

Those shots were not what i was expecting. I'm pleasantly surprised. I'll have to keep an eye out for this one.

I fondly remember the fairy-collecting adventure/rpg game Zanzarah... A game about fairies needn't be twee or childish (or new-agey), yet can evoke those powerful child-like stirrings in an adult. I suppose I'm also nostalgic for a time I never really knew, when myth and folklore were very much alive and necessary in people's lives. But I digress I guess.

I'm also a fan of Zanzarah - or at least have been, since it is sol old now.

But the press and as a result of that the gamers stamped it as a "Pokémon-game" => "childish".

I think this could have been the beginning of the fashion that games should be dark and not cute in any way.

I have never ever felt in any game the feeling of actually losing any sense of direction within a wood … which was so dark, I did not know where I was.

Normal woods in games are considerably light : the trees are high, thin, do not stand much together, and they have few leaves that the sonshine easil comes through.

That wood I'm talking of in Zanzarah was the total opposite of that. Short, but very, very broad trees, so thick leaves that the sunshine hardly ever comes through … I have never ever seen a wood in any game that was so immersive, it almost gave me the shivers.
And it was neither dirty, not gritty in any way. ;) Just dark, and … so … thick I quickly lost my way within it.

looks interesting
Zanzarah was an enjoyable game.
there is a huge difference between childish and childlike(which Zanzarah) was. I also enjoyed Darkeneyed Skye, came out in the same time period, which while not an RPG it did have a cool spell system, tons of quirky humour and a light hearted adventure.

I sometimes (but not always) have the feeling as if games made for kids or youngsters are often under-estimated.

I think they are often good games which can be played "on-the-fly" instead of big, huge games which requitre the player to constantly fcus on the game.

So … I think that's also the distinction between casual games and "professional games". ;)

For just relaxing, I think are these games just better. ;)

Faery: Legends of Avalon will be available in November 2010 on Playstation® Network, Xbox LIVE Arcade and for download on PC.

hmmmm . . . It looks good but the marketing scheme has me thinking it may be a tad light on content. Still, I've been playing a ton of casual games lately so the marketing is not scaring me away.

Yay! Fairies!

and for download on PC

Uh … Maybe, if it's on steam, then I might use my coupon, then … BUt as download … sounds awful to me. But I think you already know how I think about download-onlies [from "download-only"]. ;)

Back
Top Bottom