Original Sin - Named Game of the Month

250 hours in. It looks like I'm two quests away from the end. No issues (hardware/software/playability) with the game at all other than the beginning being really hard.

I have a ton of 2:00AM gaming sessions -

There are crashing issues if you're on a 32-bit OS, but that's pretty much the norm for all new games this year it seems.

250 hours in. It looks like I'm two quests away from the end. No issues (hardware/software/playability) with the game at all other than the beginning being really hard.

This is what I like in RPGs. Beginning of the game should be hard, it must give the feeling to the player there is a dangerous world out there that do not hesitate to kick your ass. This was the feeling that came to me when I arrogantly attack the undead creatures right out of Cyseal with my newbie characters. My arrogance shattered with a one blow from a two handed sword. :)

It's good to see that Divinity: Original Sin is getting so much recognition right now. Not only on niche sites like RPGCodex and RPGWatch, but also on major mainstream sites.

The current issue of the German magazine "c't" has an tiny review of it as well. But they fail to mention that it can be bought via GOG as well.

250 hours in? How did that happen? And you haven't even finished it yet??? Damn, can you teach me how to get that many hours of enjoyment (?) out of a ~40 hour game?

I never understand how people play games so quickly, I always at least double, length estimates if not quadruple.

Daniel.

40 hours is not enough to play through all quests and find all secrets.

Yeah, not even close really unless you're rushing. Everyone I know personally who's played the game took at least 100 hours.

40 hours is not enough to play through all quests and find all secrets.

What's the point of those expensive secrets you can buy from the seller of secrets? Am I missing something here?

250 hours in? How did that happen? And you haven't even finished it yet??? Damn, can you teach me how to get that many hours of enjoyment (?) out of a ~40 hour game?

I wasn't even out of the first city after 40 hours.

Some of the things I do that bump up the hours is I tend to explore everything even if the game is not an open world game. I explore homes and shops and basements and alleyways and little cul de sacs in the woods. If I can walk there, I go there.

Also I tend to micro manage my parties. So lets say for example if I find a ring with +1 Dexterity, +1 loremaster and +1 Intelligence with an Ice Shard spell. Who do I give the ring to? My archer who needs the hi dex for his bow, or my mage who has crappy armor and the increased intelligence will allow for robes or my all around search character who could used the increased loremaster skill to make item ID easier. And with the wide diversity of loot in this game I am making a lot of those decisions.

Last night I spent about a half an hour manipulating inventory and it paid off nicely. My first fight with death nights took about half an hour. My latest fight with them took about 5 minutes.

Last edited:
What's the point of those expensive secrets you can buy from the seller of secrets? Am I missing something here?

Secrets and digging out treasures
Divinity: Original Sin Game Guide
Strategy Guide and Walkthrough by Marcin "Xanas" Baran gamepressure.com

The authors of Divinity: Original Sin have prepared a whole lot of secrets and hidden treasures on the map. The first ones often connect with the second, but in the game guide, secrets marked on the map with numbers are "more important" and more valuable. You can get the maps to these secrets from Geremo, in the Cyseal's market, or from Teller of Secrets in one of the portals in The End of Times, after completing the "Healing the Mount" quest (Luculla Forest).

Most of the secrets contain buried chests, but you may sometimes encounter something else, like for example skill books. After buying and reading a map, info about the secret appears in the "Secrets" tab and the localization is marked on player's map (an icon of a small chest). When you mouse over the icon, a short description of the secret will appear.
A pile of dirt covering the place where a treasure is hidden - Secrets and digging out treasures - Divinity: Original Sin - Game Guide and Walkthrough
A pile of dirt covering the place where a treasure is hidden

Usually, you will have to dig in a pile of dirt to get to the chest (the content of a chest is always random, but the items are of similar value). In order to do that, you will need a shovel. You will find one in the Cyseal's graveyard. If you happen to lose it, you can buy one from a merchant, but it's a rather rare item. After arriving at the location of the treasure, look for a small pile of dirt and start digging by clicking on it (the shovel has to be in the equipment of the person digging, not in the companion's).

Important! To locate a treasure, you don't have to buy a map. However, to notice it, you will need a lot of Perception (preferably more than 7). Thus, if you intend to look for treasures, develop the skills needed in one of your party members and equip him with items that increase perception value. You can also use potions that enhance perception, if you still do not see the treasure.
The burning chest doesnt count as a treasure - Secrets and digging out treasures - Divinity: Original Sin - Game Guide and Walkthrough
The burning chest doesn't count as a treasure

Some treasures are not marked as secrets, but have similarly valuable content and may be difficult to open. On your map, you can see treasures that require more effort than jus opening a chest.

HINT:
to see really everything you should have one character with a perception of 11…

HINT:
to see really everything you should have one character with a perception of 11…

I have 12 on a character and I still spot traps too late...

I do find all treasures though. ;)

Yeah, not even close really unless you're rushing. Everyone I know personally who's played the game took at least 100 hours.

Playing games like that shouldn't be rushed, it should be consumed slowly like enjoying a good wine. By the way when I were suffocating from work today a woman from communication unit came with a post in her hand that this was mine. I rejoiced like a child when I saw the artbook in it. I love you Larian. :)

never understood players that pass through on 40hrs.. but I'm a completionist, just checked, 110 hrs and just left cyseal :)

I love this game ^^

but I knew from the moment larian said *umph* hours it would be triple atleast .. that's what happens with all their games ^^

-i need more sleep xD -

Back
Top Bottom