Gothic 3 Gothic 3 runs in 640x480!

Lethal Weapon

Sentinel
Having tried nearly every tweak posted in the fora, I started thinking: "what else is there to do?"

Now, I'm an old gamer, and I recall once upon a time resolutions like 640x480 were considered 'high'. And then the idea struck me: May Gothic 3 run in 640x480? So I edited the UserOptions.ini and the answer is yes! I'm talking about HUGE performance boost here: 50+ fps, game pausing to load new areas for under a sec, and all that with a 128M video card and 1G of RAM! I'm running the game on medium settings and I even doubled the vegetation drawing distance in ge3.ini, now there is grass as far as the eye can see!

I haven't encountered this tweak in any guide in the internet and I think it is a 'must' for those of us who do not own the latest hardware. Maybe someone could add this to the Wiki?

Why don´t you add it?

I just did.

Not only it is very true, but you will be surprised how good the game looks even in such a low resolution!

Its a little better!

I tried it and you know what, it works!

BUT, the fps is not as good as 50 in increase but its a little better than it was before. I'd say it gave my rig a 5 to 10 % increase. I'm not sure.

The letters are fuzzy now but there is a little less stuttering and the loading periods are shorter...

Any bit helps.

Thanks!

Very intresting, nice work Lethal Weapon. :)

Do I hear 320 x 200, anyone?
Going once, going twice. ;)

The letters are fuzzy now...

You can change the default Gothic3 font by dragging any standard Windows font to your Gothic III folder and renaming it to Gothic3.ttf

BUT, the fps is not as good as 50 in increase but its a little better than it was before.

I saw a huge performance improvement but I guess every system is different.
Glad to be of any help.

Do I hear 320 x 200, anyone?

A lot of modern games default to 640x480 after auto-detecting hardware when I install them on my computer. Also keep in mind that video resolution is not the most important factor for a good visual experience.

Just imagine how well this would work if they implemented FSAA, too.

I'll second that.

Last edited:
I found that resolution makes very little difference for me compared with other stuff like antialiasing and glow effects. So much so, in fact, that I had significant chop at 1024x768 until I toned down the shadows and removed the AA and post-render effects, but then I cranked it up to 1680x1050 (my lcd's max) and it works just about as well. So now I play at 1680x1050. :) Looks sharp.

Well, this is definatelly nice tweak. Even though I usually prefer high resolutions (and rather lower some other setting to make it playeable for me). Since I've migrated to LCD, I'm pretty much fixed with my LCD's native resolution, so other tweaks has to make the game running at the resolution I have to use.

I went back to 800x600. For the framerate, it's not a big problem and I don't really see the stuttering being significantly less with 640x480. Do you really get less stutter at lower resolutions??

Back
Top Bottom