After Reset - General Progress Update

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Mr.Nixon posted a new post-funding update for After Reset with a huge wall of text about the games development. So if your a backer the information is important.

GENERAL PROGRESS

First, I realize that the delay for our “estimated delivery date” is unacceptable. There is no excuse that either party would find believable when we’re five months behind, but here are the facts. As an indie developer I depend on the freelancers I work with, and when they miss deadlines it inevitably affects the whole release. I understand that you've trusted me personally with your money, so as the game director I take the whole responsibility for any delay.

But right now you don’t want to hear excuses, you need deeds. Thus, how do I compensate for the delay?

1. Quality. You can see through updates and new builds (with your approval I rejected the strategy to release them too early just to meet the EDD) in favor of releasing small but cool and completed steps. We do something until I, from my picky point of view, can say something about it is really cool. Sometimes this means starting over from scrap if it’s just not working, and when you see our page previews (shown below) I think you’ll agree that it’s paid off.

2. Money. It’s inevitable that delays, even if accounted for in a product’s budget, put a lot of stress on the team’s finances. I’ve therefore put more of my own money into the development to be sure that we’ll not compromise on our quality standards and deliver trash content just to stay under budget. The novel, for example, will end up containing 37 pages instead of the initially planned 32, and at no extra cost to you even though is increased our budget requirements.

3. Time. I toil away on After Reset 8-12 hours a day and rarely take a weekend or holiday off (except for Christmas). I sold my other business some time ago and have been completely focused on this task ever since. Frankly, I’m quite happy with our progress and the support from our backers.

Therefore, after TFoG is done it’ll be judgment day from our fans. However, I think you’ll be satisfied in the end and support our next novel. Until then I’ll do everything in my power to make sure you’ll be happy with the result.
More information.

As Mr.Nixon - I'm too afraid of the delay phenomenon. As soon as any developer announces a release date, there begins the Nightmare of Delay! Invented are there already good solutions to heal the psychological damage caused by stress felt in waiting customers convenience sphere.

Accepting money for a product ahead of release puts a burden on the developer, because of the very real psychological Expectancy Phenomenon - affecting developers remotely like some mass PSI attack or push -, because people (who paid for the product) angrily await release with picks and forks - in thought - even if they say okay to delay.

I feel this pain every time when I receive from our freelancers such letters like:
- sorry for delay but I was [insert various of explanations here];
- sorry for delay but in the process I figure out that I can do the job with the quality we agreed about;
- sorry for delay but thanks to you I've got cool and well-paid proposal from famous studio, so I'm living, sorry I took your time;
- thanks for the prepayment but I was not able to do the job, then decided to keep it and drop the job, good luck :)
Etc.

Every time I feel the pain of coming delay announcing...

Anyway, I realized that is quite wide spread phenomena even for the games with millions of budget and hundreds of employees. It looks like crap happens in any case.

Well contrary to what Mercy said I really don't mind the delay.

So Mr. Nixon take as much time as you need as your game wont be the first Kickstarter to get delayed. Don't let yourself get burned out either.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Keep up the good works and thanks for the efforts! :party:

Thanks for rooting for us.
That really means a lot.

Back
Top Bottom