Mass Effect PC

Or is this actually a hint of someone's thoughts about releasing a demo showing off the first hour or so for you to play the game...

What ever it is - its working perfectly. Ive heard that multiple people are buying it. This includes diehard pirates and people who defended their piracy due to the "nazi-DRM".

Ebay uk has multiple copies for 10-16 pounds for new (som from Thailand??) but I think I have enough games allready. I wont buy anymore until I have finished som first.

My specs:

Gigabyte P35-DS3
Duo Core 6750
G92 8800gts 512 + ForceWare 175.16 + 22" HP LCD
3GB RAM
Creative X-Fi extreme Gamer

I turn on highest settings and the framerate is very acceptable to me (barely any stuttering). I notice a little screen tearing problem. Probably exaggerated by the nature of LCD in handling refresh rate?

Not sure about the screen tearing, that's usually from not having vsync enabled. I still use a CRT monitor for my gaming, so I don't know too much about gaming on LCDs.

We have almost identicle systems, so I'm glad to hear that it's running good for you. Does Mass Effect support antialiasing?

I completely forgot the antialiasing. The in-game graphic setting menu doesn't has the option but you could enable it in the nVidia control panel. I did notice slow down when turn on maximum level of antialiasing at 16xQ + supersampling. However at high resolution (1680*1050), i found the antialiasing has minimal effect as the edge of objects already look pretty smooth.

On screen image tearing, i found that enabling forced Vsync + Triple Buffering in nVidia control panel solved the issue (as well as the same problem in Oblivion).

I did notice slow down when turn on maximum level of antialiasing at 16xQ + supersampling..

That level of AA is overkill for almost any game, I usually just use x4 for newer games or x8 for older ones. There's no way you could use x16 with these newer games and not get slowdown.

I can't really see a difference with anything higher than x8 anyways.

So how's this game going so far? Anybody in a few hours? Whatcha think? Immersion? Music? Gameplay?

Just started this morning. I'm underwhelmed so far but very, very, very, very early into the game. I liked the start and was surprisingly pleased with the dialogue-wheel-dealie but the first mission had me railed down a straight canyon with cover placement that was a bit obvious ("OK, we'll need rock formations staggered here, here and here") and the gunplay felt awkward.

But I'm very, very early in. I might re-roll and try some different characters. What's everyone playing? I first thought Sentinel but that means playing second-fiddle in combat to my squad-mates (right?), so now I'm thinking Vanguard or Infiltrator.

Awesome game, too bad its freezing every 30-60 minutes for me.

I played the adept. Funny thing I kept forgetting to use the powers because it would take so long to power them up again. So I just blasted away with my pistol. Don't underestimate the pistol. It can take down enimies pretty quick. Even faster after you learn the speacial power ups associated with it. After I maxed out some of my powers I found that they reload a lot quicker and was using them more often. Espcially Throw and Singularity.

One complaint about the combat is that the opponents seemed to just rush me more often than not. I was expecting these long drawn out gun battles and instead I had to use throw to try and keep the guys away from me.

Voice acting is great. I was surprised to hear Seth Green in it and I could swear that some of the voice actors from KOTOR are in it as well, but I might be mistaken. There is one minor character that sounded exactly like Tali from Fallout 1.

The Mako seemed to be the biggest complaint from all of the reviews of it, but I enjoyed searching the out of the way planets. It was a little like Starflight. Not nearly as detailed but a little bit like it, where you get your rover and go searching the area for stuff to get. Every Soloar system has one planet (or ship) that you can land on, the others you can sometimes survey and find some trinket or resource.

Get ready to be confused when selling items. I definatly think that they could of done a better job with the buy/sell screen. Also they make it a little too easy to find tons of items. I only purchased weapons or armor a few times, the rest of the time I just found it.

There is no talking to your teamates when on missions like in KOTOR. All the talking is done on the ship. You'll get a few sidemissions from your various companions, so be sure to check up on them from time to time to see how their doing.

All in all I like this game a lot. It's one game I know I'll finish and for me that is saying something. I think I'm almost done with it because on of my companions keeps telling me how close to the end we are now. I hope not because I've only been playing it since Friday.

Anyways that's what I thought of it so far. Definatly a great game, but not the best thing since sliced bread.

Anyways that's what I thought of it so far. Definatly a great game, but not the best thing since sliced bread.

Hyped up console games with their 100% reviews usually are not. I often remove atleast 10 points from such scores and try to avoid reading fan reviews. Codex has som funny comments:

To be honest I thought the half-assed dialogs did a good enough job of conveying the B movie atmosphere (intentional or not). It felt like a mixture of Top Gun, Snakes on a Plane, and Star Wars. The actual 'atmosphere' is fairly generic, but I can't help but laugh every time a dramatic music queue begins in the middle of a rather pathetic speech about saving humanity, often so loud that I can't even hear what the person is saying anymore

Critics:

I hated a lot of the interiors. You feel far too confined, if its a huge city, why can't you experience it? Why is everything within a hundred meter radius? Jumping in a vechile and bursting through a city in a few seconds to reach another spot would have been far more 'immersive'. The outdoor areas look superb, even if you have to drive a predetermined route.

The combat is far too sterile. No weapons have a kick in them and the biotic powers feel the same. There isn't much interaction with the environment. I would've liked to have to seen glass shatter, chairs break, to have the world react more, but alas.

The story development is disjointed, very jumpy and not much point to it. I would've dug the B-movie script if they had gone balls out with it like Far Cry, but instead it takes itself far too seriously. You can't be the badass you thought you could, either. I do laugh when Shepard pulls the gun out, but that only happens on a few occasions.

The characters are the worst I've seen in a Bioware game (haven't played Jade Empire btw). There is no substance to them, you hardly ever talk to them and they hardly ever interact with each other. WEAK! Wrex has a few good lines though, he's the only character I liked.

The music is very good and Defjam describes it well. Its a bit System Shock 2. My complaint is that they use music far too little. Why do I spend most of the time with no music? Going overboard is common in games, but going under is strange, especially when you've got such a solid soundtrack.

I thought the game would have been huge. A big world to explore, lots of sidequests etc. But no. I have to admit I was really, really surprised at how linear it was! There are barely any sidequests, unless you count landing on random planets and stealing crashed probe parts from monkeys (actual quest!) sidequests. There are some better ones, but I dunno... The game just feels shallow.

Summary:

I think you're expecting a bit too much from my review; when I say it's a mixed bag I literally mean it's a mixed bag. It's a game that has some merits and qualities to it that certain people might like, and some qualities that almost every sane person should probably not like. 90% of games would get this exact same treatment if the magazine reviewers didn't just toss Editor's Choice awards around like they are frisbees.

It would be more accurate to call the game an action-adventure game with stats, actually. The RPG elements are very subdued, and hardly effect gameplay. If that doesn't interest you, then no.. you would not like it and shouldn't waste your money. Just speaking from what I have played so far; if you don't find bad movies funny, and you can't stand bad combat.. don't bother. The occasional piece of well-written dialog won't be able to save this one for you.

Still propably a good game but nothing special. Action-adventure with stats.

Last edited:
Shop just opened... so:
biowareforum.jpg

It's too bad KOTOR 2 and Black Isle games cannot be registered. :(

I registered the game just for the free downloadable content “Bring Down the Sky" but where heck is the thing? Bioware said "The "Bring Down the Sky" downloadable content for PC will be available at the launch of Mass Effect for the PC", so what happened? A least they give us an update.

Shop just opened... so:
biowareforum.jpg

It's too bad KOTOR 2 and Black Isle games cannot be registered. :(

Yes, it is :( - but you can always have them in sig....

Bring Down the Sky, the dlc for MEPC, is taken a little longer to get out since one of the webmonkey's wife (I think this is what Chris Priestly said?) at Bioware did give birth two weeks early - just in time for MEPC's release...

However, giving the problems that people gaving with just playing the OC game for MEPC, I just think it probably would be a very good idea to these problems before releasing dlcs...

I'm ready to start playing Mass Effect but I'm agonizing over which class to choose? Are they really that different?

Do any of the main skills: Weapons, Engineering, and Biotics, seem to stand out from the others... or are they pretty much evenly matched?

Last edited:
Don't pick any engineering for your Shepard, it seems really boring. The two "important" engineering skills are passive anyway so an NPC can handle those just as well.

I played a Soldier the first time through, and it played like a subpar Gears of War, and a Vanguard (soldier/biotic hybrid) the second time but the biotic cooldowns were too long to make it very different from a Soldier so if you want something spicier than a Soldier, I'd say go with a straight Adept (they get a skill that reduces biotic cooldowns).

I think they balanced the classes pretty well. Engineer seems a little more boring than the other two.

I played infiltrator and enjoyed it. It has enough tech that you don't need to bring along others with tech. It has sniper rifle for distance and pistol for close combat. If you bring along an adept for "crowd control" you wont get overwhelmed in cramped interiors as often, which is a problem when you can't skill up in the assault rifle or shotgun.

On my next playthrough I intend to play an Adept, but I think my choice of Infiltrator for my first playthrough was preferable.

Edit: And, yes, despite my intention to not buy MEPC due to the copy protection, I buckled. I'm only human.

I also agree with a previous comment that the NPCs aren't done nearly as well as previous efforts. Jade Empire's were better and KotOR's were vastly better (but they were superb, IMO). But I still enjoyed the Bioware-ness of them.

MEPC had plenty for me to dislike, but my first playthrough was very enjoyable and I'm already looking forward to the next.

So how much gametime can we expect from this? For some reason, I had a feeling it was a quite long game, but now I've a hunch I was wrong... ?

It's near the end now and my playtime is at 20 hours. I suspect that if we ignore the half baked side quests you would get quality gaming time well under 20 hours. Some peoples even finished the game in 10 hours.

IMO, as skavenhorde said, the parts related to Mako, inventory menu, and the choice of playing as soldier are unsatisfactory. I played many FPS and as a soldier the FPS combat experience create by bioware is really uninteresting. I should probably choose"force" carrying character. And the side quests is boring, just like an afterthought compared to main quest.

Well I'm definitely not going to go with with a Soldier or Engineer, they just don't seem very interesting. It will either be an Adept or one of the combination classes. Would an Adept always be acting like a support type though?

I don't like the comparisons to KotOR, and I sure hope it doesn't remind me too much of that game. I know I'm in the minority on this, but I found KotOR to be very forgetable.

I can't believe some of you have already finished ME twice, wasn't it just released last week?! It must be nice to have so much free time to game, it will probably take me at least a week to finish it once.

I'm a good way through and starting to plan our review. I played around with a couple of classes but ultimately played most with an Inflitrator. Enjoying it but it's a very flawed experience; I'd say it's BioWare's weakest game but I'm a sucker for space opera stuff and still enjoying it.

The side-quests are really a waste of time. I would think you could blast through the main storyline in 15 hours but I'm guessing most people would sample the planetary exploration and get to 20-25 hours. That said, I know people who traveled to every planet and racked up 45-50 hours.

Does time matter, though? I mean, as you can see above, you can play it for 50 hours if you want to. But will you want to?

Back
Top Bottom