RPGWatch Feature: Worst RPG of 2010

Thanks to all those who voted for me...

I'm honored :D

Eh, you`re in fine company of FV:N - which is quite crazy too :)

My point exactly :)

Edit - actually it's mostly the fame going to my head...

This is silly.

I played a bunch of this game and it was OK. The category is "Worst" not "Most Disappointing"

But whatever.

Treat it as a bit of silly fun. No matter what it was called, many people would "target" their least favourite game regardless of the semantics. That said - it got my vote.

1 Arcania: Gothic 4
Pththth, I could write worse than that in my spare time!

These things are always "Worst game that looked good enough to try" not absolute worst.

Voted AP.

Figures.

I have yet to try the game, but everything I've heard steers me away.

These things are always "Worst game that looked good enough to try" not absolute worst.
Is it?
One would think after the demo and bad first impressions of Arcania that were posted on this site most people would not even touch it. That is why I didn't vote for it because I didn't even pick it up (only the demo). I always planned to pick it up but it was never a priority at the time of release and after more negative comments kept coming it kind of fell of my radar. If I'm really desperate for something to play I might still take a chance, against better judgement.

If I had played it it might have been my worst, even though based on what I read I shouldn't even have bought it in the first place.

Voted AP.

AP got my vote too. Maybe it is because it is just not my cup of tea. But also because as DArtagnan on these forums said that the game gives you choices (stealth or gung-ho), but then at certain points the game takes those choices away and you have no choice but to resort to a gung-ho attrition firefight when faced by a certain end boss.

I couldn't get into it enough. It's shortness is remedied by it's potential replayability, but after the first playthrough I didn't feel like playing it anymore.

This is silly.

I played a bunch of this game and it was OK. The category is "Worst" not "Most Disappointing"

But whatever.

Actually, if you judge 5 beers. One is always going to have the worst taste.

It is never implied the taste is bad. The second best beer tastes worse than the first. It's all relative. If the best beer gets a grade of 7 and the worst beer gets a grade of 6 than they are not that far apart, but the one that get's 6 is still the worst beer of the bunch.

I only limited myself to judging the beers I actually tried so that trimmed the elegible list down some.

I focussed on how I liked the taste, while some might have voted based on their doubt that one of the beers actually qualified as one.

Others judge the beer based on whether or not there are any dead flies floating in it.

So worst doesn't mean worst ever because the worst beer can still be a good one.

Similarly if you only taste three bad beers, there is still going to be one of them that is the best and one of them that is the worst of the batch.

The worst beer is the one that is left when there aren't any worse beers (of the ones you tasted).

The problem is, that the worst European beers are FAR superior to any beers coming out of the US!! :) However, we're talking about games, not beers and therefore............... actually there might not be any difference between beer and games after all...!! :D

somehow i doubt many of you have tasted the hundreds of fine microbreweries up and down the west coast. i'd agree that the average beer in the US is inferior but that hardly matters.

also i think the staffer who voted for Alpha Protocol as a "worst RPG" has probably had their brain deathspanked

ME2 eh? What a typical result. Well I'd put Precursors right up there. What a complete turd so many of you are enthralled with... ME2 was at least a fun game.

I was surprised to see Mass Effect 2 in 2nd place…
I voted for Mass Effect 2 as the worst RPG, because to me it abandoned too many RPG elements to be still called an RPG. I enjoyed playing it, but it really is a third person cover shooter with limited dialogue rather than a real RPG.

This was a pretty good year for RPGs if Aracnia was the worst. I second what Ovenall said, Arcania was definitely the most disappointing. As I said previously, I had fun with Arcania, but Gothic 4 was no where to be found.

Sadly, when I think over the year, the only RPG that gave me misery fits and made me wonder what the heck were they thinking was Fallout Vegas. (Curiously my best RPG of the year). The continuous crashes prevented the greatness that was due this game.

I actually bought Arcania because I am a collector and needed to own it (yeah, dumb, whatever). It's pretty f'ing terrible.

The combat and world look nice, I made it through the first town out over the water and it was nice looking. Wacky-wacky combat like Oblivion, it worked. What made the game truly crappy were two things: 1) no exploration, which is just a killer in RPGs... the whole game is linear, and 2) terrible, TERRIBLE voice acting and writing. An RPG needs a basic story and some coherent dialogue, I don't care how decent the gameplay is.

I give Oblivion a hard time for having a crap plot and poor writing, but Arcania makes Oblivion seem like Planescape.

Mass Effect 2 was clearly the worst RPG of the year.

And putting Alpha Protocol as second worst was not fair. I know lot of people didnt even play it and just took bad reviews for granted.

Back
Top Bottom