Gothic 4 - First Screens Redux

I've been doing it ever since computer games were invented, and I have a very good track record for being correct.

I *have* been wrong on occasion. But my gut instincts are usually *very* reliable, and G4 gives me a bad one.

I would even go so far as to say the quality of the world is a pretty big step back from Gothic 3.

If that what we see is all that is to the world, I can see what you mean. But I seriously doubt that. I will start thinking about how the game will be when I see pics of cities and, most importantly, characters.

It's not so much the emptyness of the world that gives me a bad feeling. I'm completely aware that these are very early shots, and in no way expect them to be complete or polished in any way.

But nevertheless, even very early shots give you an impression of the developers "vision" for the game. I'm concerned that this vision isn't in keeping with the Gothic series. I get the feeling this new developer doesn't really understand what it is that makes a Gothic game a Gothic game.

I guess time will tell.

I see what you mean and I tend to agree that sensing a "vision" could work this way.

Interesting. My sense is the opposite. In fact, this looks (way too early to draw conclusions) "grittier" than Gothic 3 to me, which I found disappointing in its world presentation.

Yes, G3 was certainly not as gritty as G2.

From these shots of G4, it looks like they are *trying* to achieve a gritty feel. But it feels kind of sterile to me. It might just be that they are still trying to find their legs with the new engine.

If it does turn out to be a good addition to the series, at least I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Which new engine?

Which new engine?

Uh, sorry, Gorath - you´re not even rhethoric here, are you? :uneasy:

"new" =
- not equal to the G1/G2 engine (yikes, i re-read the name just recently again, but it has fallen into the shadows once more :-/ )
- not equal to the G3 one of ill fame, the GeNome engine

Spellbound is using a modified TPM engine, "Trinigy" was the name last time i heard of it.

Ragon

No, ironic. ;)

The engine is not confirmed, although anything else but Trinigy would be a surprise because several hints lead to it.
Spellbound has used Trinigy before on at least two projects. It´s not new for them.

It's not so much the emptyness of the world that gives me a bad feeling. I'm completely aware that these are very early shots, and in no way expect them to be complete or polished in any way.

But nevertheless, even very early shots give you an impression of the developers "vision" for the game. I'm concerned that this vision isn't in keeping with the Gothic series. I get the feeling this new developer doesn't really understand what it is that makes a Gothic game a Gothic game.

I guess time will tell.

You're making a judgement about the game based on a very small area that's been built simply to demo the engine. It's way too early to start saying things like the developer 'doesn't understand what makes a Gothic game a Gothic game'. I'm not sure how you could have come to that conclusion based on some pictures showing trees and grass.

Yes indeed, i am also making a judgement well before the game is conceived and released.

There was great hidden depth in G1 and G3 so far unequaled by any other game known to man and I very much doubt this depth can be equaled with Arcania. This of course has nothing to do with the showing of a few trees and it really isn't pessimism but more of a 'gamers foresight' something which seasoned gamers have.

As I've stated several times before - I am optimistic at this point. The developers are obviously fans of the series, and will probably do a good job.

In any case, the G3 add-on is going to be out well before G4, so we'll see how they handle the Gothic universe.

@hohoho
Welcome to the forums. :)

This is hardly enough to get excited by. Gothic was an extreme rarity, and expecting someone else to pick up the license and do it justice is extremely optimistic if you ask me. Sometimes I wish I could have that kind of wishful thinking, but it's not going to happen and I have to face reality as I know it to be.

Sure, it COULD be great, but chances are it will be a watered down Gothic made to appeal to the mass market - which is especially evident by targeting consoles as well.

You're making a judgement about the game based on a very small area that's been built simply to demo the engine. It's way too early to start saying things like the developer 'doesn't understand what makes a Gothic game a Gothic game'. I'm not sure how you could have come to that conclusion based on some pictures showing trees and grass.

That's how I work. Like I said, I've been doing it since gaming started and I have a pretty good track record so far. I don't expect you to understand how I come to that conclusion. But that doesn't negate the fact that my gut feelings are usually correct, regardless of how much they contradict your own personal methods of evaluating a new game.

I'll gladly eat humble pie if I am wrong, and I hope that I am wrong. Sadly, Gorath confirming that this isn't even a new engine, doesn't bode well.

It is not the same engine as Gothic 3, it is a heavily modified Trinigy engine. Not that it matters that much, there are some things more important than graphics, y'know.

Nothing wrong with either Trinigy og GeNome - it's how you implement it that counts.

Back
Top Bottom