Drakensang Drakensang, who wants to play it?

You get treatzed coldly only by the "harbor-master" or what his title is.
At leastas far as I can remember.

And yes, as you mention it … This game could have an appeal to teenagers … Because kids and teenagers are more close to lighthearted stories than adults, I think …

Or more likely to female players. And to americans who like more of the lighthearted stories than we europeans.

Does this imply that "D&G" ("dark & gritty") games sell better in Europe than in the U.S. ?

Does this imply that "D&G" ("dark & gritty") games sell better in Europe than in the U.S. ?

Yes I believe or why do we europeans keep producing them a lot like The Witcher. Europeans like dark antagonists assassins with sharp edge and troubled past while americans like the more the "knight-in-shining-armor" -type who comes out with blazing fireballs and magic missiles.

Drakensang is an exception. Though it's still somehow brutal and dark at times, though the general feeling is very warm and colorful.

while americans like the more the "knight-in-shining-armor" -type who comes out with blazing fireballs and magic missiles.

Ah, yes, that explains it why "Arcania" came with 2 different graphics sets ... one more "dark & gritty" and one rather for the American market ...

Oh, my, I live in the wrong part of the world !!! :(

Ah, yes, that explains it why "Arcania" came with 2 different graphics sets … one more "dark & gritty" and one rather for the American market …

Oh, my, I live in the wrong part of the world !!! :(

Well...dark and gritty can be...nice...too. But it's just that Drakensang fills another space/niche, then. I never saw it so much as dark vs lighthearted, though. I mean, how gritty and dark is sacred? And morrowind? Not all that much. It's just that the gameplay and concept of it is different. It's a nice change from the usual.

It's a real pity there won't be a third one.

Spoke to Bernd Beyreuther today on the RPC.

Explicitely thanked him for "this wonderful game".

He responded that it just didn't sell enough - with a hint of true sadness behind it all …

Anyway, I asked him whether he could sign my certificate of my Drakensang 2 Personal Edition - and he did it ! Yay ! :boogie: A dream has come true !!!!!! :boogie:

I'm SOOO happy that he did it ! :) - And that I could express my gratitude about the Drakensang games to him ! :) To me, this means a lot ! :)

You get treatzed coldly only by the "harbor-master" or what his title is.
At leastas far as I can remember.

No, I meant by the 'regular folks' there in the first harbor. You know, the constant "get lost" and "don't wanna talk" you get. I first thought maybe it was because I plundered that offering thingy to the riverfather at the start of the game, but it had nothing to do with it. I found the right merchants and people to talk to now, though, so I can proceed. I'm actually at the elven-village now (progress has been a bit slow, because I'm currently reading some books of the Malazin Empire ;-).

One question, though… when I start the game, I can only choose between a warrior, an archer and a soldier. Is that right? I thought you one could choose other things too (wasn't that the case for drakensang 1?). What if I want to be a mage, for instance?

Seems a nice game, at least as good as it's predesessor, me thinks. The giant squid monster fight was cool, albeit maybe a bit too easy, for a boss-fight. I'm curious for the next developments.

BTW, any news if they're ever going to make/sell an english translation for the philleas addon? On Steam, maybe?

One question, though… when I start the game, I can only choose between a warrior, an archer and a soldier. Is that right? I thought you one could choose other things too (wasn't that the case for drakensang 1?). What if I want to be a mage, for instance?

Click on the BIG HUGE horizontal arrows there.
They're no embellishments. ;)

BTW, any news if they're ever going to make/sell an english translation for the philleas addon? On Steam, maybe?

Look here : http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13529

Click on the BIG HUGE horizontal arrows there.
They're no embellishments. ;)

Look here : http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13529

Ah yes… Now I feel pretty stupid. I somehow always thought those arrows were things to move your character around, like in side perspective, or something. They should have placed a 'next' button on the right sheet next to the first three choices; I was always looking there to click.

Didn't matter too much, because I had been planning to play with a melee type. Just thought it funny i couldn't see any other types. Well, mystery solved, then. :)

Great news about the add-on. If it comes out here, and it's less than 10 euro's, I think I'll buy it. I know the reviews haven't been all that great, but I guess one has to see it as part in the whole of the game.

BTW, I find it strange to post in this thread, with the weird title. Is there a more 'official' thread here, talking about drakensang?

No, not that I know of.

You could try it in the official forums, hough.

And yes, thinking the arrows were to turn the hero around is a thing people often think. ;)

installing Philleassons' secret

Hmm…I guess I should post it here too:

Hi there. Since you were so kind to help me out a bit at the start, I thought to offer something in return too. If people bought Phileassons' secret like me from Gamersgate (I couldn't find a retail version in my country) and maybe this goes for Steam too - in any case as a download, thus… they could enter some problems where the download doesn't, or doesn't fully (sometimes, a boat does disappear, but nowhere is the nightwatch there to begin it) work. The origin of the problem, I think, lies in the fact that the downloaded version of the expansion is not entirely compatible with the retail version of Drakensang TROT of the Benelux.

I have found that the problem is small and can be readily solved. Gamegate always tries to install it at a specified path in programfiles. Which is, normally, the right place to do so, if you installed by default. BUT…it does so under the wrong name, even if you DID save it by default. (Thus, one gets a different folder installed). When you click on drakensan.exe in the new folder, it gives you an error, because it doesn't find the files of TROT. Note that, even if you manually direct it towards the correct pathname, it STILL makes a subfolder with the same problem. Now, to remedy this, you can either copy/paste the whole shebang within this folder in your parent TROT folder. Or, more simple, you first remove the '-' in the name of your parent folder of TROT (which the Benelux version installs). Yes, it is "Program Files/Drakensang - The River of time" and the expansion installs it for "Program Files/Drakensang The River of Time". You see, only the "-" is the difference. Delete that out of your folders'name (of the original TRoT install), and then install your Gamegate-download-version of the expansion, and everything will go smoothly.

I dunno if it's in every version like that, retail or as a download, but it occurred with me in officially bought versions, so I guess others have or will encounter it too, so I thought to share this. Feel free to share it to others as well, I'm placing this under CC, share-alike. If you found it helpful, donate some blue points to me. ;-p

Last edited:
… Found in the official forums someone who really insisted - although being German, living in Germany and knowing the German language - to play Drakensang in English, because he "always prefers to play RPGs in English" … O_O

Back
Top Bottom