Sui Generis - Post-Funding Update #22

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Sui Generis has a new post-funding update talking about combat AI and stats.

Item and character stats

Stats must play an important role in the game but player skill, action gameplay and physics are already playing a huge role. We want to retain the skill element and the fluidity of the combat, stats must interact seamlessly with this process and give advancement and loot a good purpose. The effect of stats compared to many other RPGs is quite small, you will never be 10 times as strong or do 100 times more damage, but that extra speed or force does make all the difference.

It's taken us some time to design and test a stat system that would work well. Weapons in particular are tricky because their shape and size alone have a huge impact on gameplay and character animations. Just the distribution of the mass of a weapon (this is accurate and based on the 3D mesh and can also be tweaked) can completely change how a character effectively wields it. We need to use the weapon's inherent physical qualities and allow them to interact with character skills and physique realistically, we also need to provide the player with an intuitive yet accurate overview of a weapon's qualities. We think the fact that every weapon feels and plays differently is great. We're thrilled with what we've come up with and you'll be able to see all this in game.

Combat AI

Combat AI is something we're taking very seriously. We're very keen on NPCs appearing lifelike and playing similarly to a human opponent. Combined with the physical interaction and motion, a realistic and clever behaviour really tricks our brains into thinking of the characters as alive, it makes combat feel very real and personal. We're also keen on AI opponents being challenging while playing by the same exact rules as yourself which contributes to this feeling.

To ensure that NPCs really do play by the same rules as players we're actually running them through the same exact controls, we're basically putting a virtual player in charge of them with their own cursor and buttons to press. Because of the full physics simulation however these need to be very smart, landing a good blow requires steering the character so that their weapon connects with force in the right place at the right time while overcoming the opponent's defences. When you play the game you'll see this is a very organic and tricky process, it requires skill from a player and it also does from AI. It's even trickier when you start to consider the hugely different weapons and other items that a character or their opponents may be equipping. That's just the beginning though, we want our characters to react with human like individual qualities; we need them to employ solid tactics and have good awareness of the environment, swinging a halberd into a wall, or worse into a friend's face, is a big problem. NPCs need to act cleverly in any situation or against any number of opponents. Oh, and we need you to be cursing at the little buggers with genuine outrage.
More information.

This game sounds great, so great in fact I seriously doubt they can pull it off. Especially on their budget.

I backed this and really hope i'm wrong but I see 3 possibilities--

1. They run out of money and go early access, releasing a terrible unfinished game that never quite gets fixed.

2. They release they game but if falls extremely short of meeting their goals and is ultimately just a bad game as a result.

3. They run out of money and never release the game.

I guess there is a 4th possibility, they release the game they are promising and I've never been so happy to be wrong.:fingerscrossed:

If they have to get a game out in the short term, it sounds like it'll primarily be an ARPG with a focus on combat. So perhaps a war scenario, such as an invasion. If they have decent sales then that could fund further development of their system.

They have about 250,000 USD of budget. I dunno what they pay each of the six (?) developers they are. At least I dont expect them to do some of the expensive things, like full voice over. But that's fine, some games work well without that. All their ambitions are not necessarily so hard to implement, once they find a systematic way to do it.

I supported this, but it sounds like a medieval combat simulator, not a game. I'm not hearing anything that sounds fun in the updates. If they don't have a writer, they're doomed. The guy writing the updates sounds as exciting as a traffic light.

Back
Top Bottom