RPGWatch Feature - Dragon Commander: First Looks

Dhruin

SasqWatch
We had the opportunity to see the recently announced game Dragon Commander at GamesCom 2011 to see how it looked and if there was something of an RPG in it. Here's a snip from Myrthos' article:
In the strategy mode you have a turn based map in which you can move your enemy troops. You can also buy units, invest in different types of technology or magic trees and you can play your cards.
Once you made all your decisions you can end your turn, after which you will have to decide which combat to participate in and under which general you want to deploy your troops. There are multiple generals to choose from, each with their own story arc, strengths and weaknesses. Once you’ve made your choices the fight can begin.
Read it all here.
More information.

Great, excellent preview! It really sounds like a cool concept and I dig the art direction. I love strategy/RPG hybrids, so this could be something for me.
So you fight as a single dragon in the battles and can give orders, but no Homeworld-like troop control?
I am a bit dubious by the decision to throw cards in the mix, but I have to see more to pass judgement on that element.

Very intriging… When i heard in larian forums about dragon commander i was VERY skeptical about how it would be interesting enough to be a good game, but after this preview i can see there are a couple of very interesting mechanics in the game.

Being in turns, having some choice/consequences branches, having cards in an RPG/Strategy hybrid… seems an interesting and inovative combination.

I'm definately interessed, even though i still have some reservations about wheter the story is solid or not, due to the strategy aspect of the game.

Looks kinda all over the place. I like that.
I feel a lot of genuine enthusiasm behind this.

I'm kind of curious about what engine they used. It doesn't look like Gamebryo unless they really dressed it up.

This sounds like a sort of hodge podge game and the card stuff almost puts it in the 'casual' realm, but I like the turn based aspect. Everything is real time these days and I get tired of it.

This sounds great. Finally a game that goes beyond the increasingly narrow horizon of established genres again. And they appear to genuinely love working on it, which is always a good sign.

Definitely a game I will keep watching.

My only fear is that they stumble over the timid nature of the gaming community: most people do not like surprises and hence tend to stick to vanilla titles even while complaining about the lack of variety. For example, 'Giants: Citizen Kabuto' and 'Sacrifice' come to mind (both of which I thought were lots of fun to play, but not commercially successful; maybe I just have a weird sense of taste…).

This is starting to sound a lot better now after hearing more of the details. He mentions that some of the ideas came from Defender of the Crown, which he was a big fan of. I spent untold hours playing that game as a kid.

The only concept I don't like is the cards. I've never liked card-based strategy elements when it comes to crpgs or rpg hybrids. Hopefully they manage to blend it well with Dragon Commander.

I equate Larian with CRPGs. But this game doesn't really fit my style. But that isn't to say that Larian can't produce whatever they hell they want to. But I continue to look forward to any CRPGs they might make in the future.

Not interested in this one, looking forward to the divine divinity remake being made by this company.

I'm actually quite interested in this, even though I can't seem to enjoy strategy games. I simply love Larian, they're right at the top of the best games developers of all time for me, right there with Piranha Bytes and Arkane Studios. I love how close they are to the fanbase they gathered throughout the many years of fun and hard work. I love that they make the games they like and try to innovate. I'll make an effort with this one, look past the strategy elements and let the game pull me into that wonderful world. Hype mode activated!

I'm an RPG fan first and foremost but I will venture outside my comfort zone( X com, NOLF, Riddick, hidden puzzle, adventures of all types), but this is a definite wait and see. I will have to rely on you good folks here, this in not a day one purchase for me.

I'm an RPG fan first and foremost but I will venture outside my comfort zone( X com, NOLF, Riddick, hidden puzzle, adventures of all types), but this is a definite wait and see. I will have to rely on you good folks here, this in not a day one purchase for me.

Goes for me to. I lose interest every time I see more info come out. Its a wait and see game for me.

It's not actually a Divine Divinity remake… right?
Close to nothing is known about this game, but I personally doubt it is going to be a remake. Swen said close to nothing about Project E while I interviewed him, for the simple reason that he did not want to talk about it.

Mmm the first I heared about this, it didn't pull my attention. Maybe because I don't realy love strategy. The only strategy I ever played were Warcraft 3, still have to finish kings bounty and Overlord (as far as you can call this strategy)

But after reading this, it does sound interesting. The combination of the elements and the cards (i am a Magic player after all) :p

it sounds interesting, i'll keep my eyes on this.
i like strategy games and just love strategy/rpg combos; plus, the dragon form in Divinity 2 is something i enjoyed quite a lot... and from what i read on this forum i might be the only one :D

Back
Top Bottom