Deus Ex: Human Revolution - DX11, 3D and Eyefinity

Dhruin

SasqWatch
News of some of the technical features Deus Ex: HR will support have been written up at PC Gamer in a short article. An excerpt:
Square Enix have told us more about Deus Ex: Human Revolution’s PC specific features. The game will have full DirectX 11 support, and will work with AMD Eyefinity, which will let players hook up an incredible FIVE monitors to play the game in uber-widescreen. It will even run in 3D for those with compatible screens. The development team discuss the advantages of playing Human Revolution with 3D and Eyefinity set ups in a new video, embedded below.

Head of Nixxes, Jurjen Katsman describes a few of the improvements players with DX11 cards can look forward to. “We do use tessellation; this was one of the first features we started making use of with DX11. We mainly used it to improve character silhouettes, but also used it for some other objects in the world.
More information.

Wow!

27122010400.jpg

Think about how is it going to look in my system with DX11 and Eyefinity!

Isn't that nice, but let's hope there's gameplay to match the fluff.

Not sure if it fits this thread, but PC Gamer has some pictures showing PC hud.
I disliked how intrusive it seemed in the console version vids, but the PC iteration looks good.
Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-action-shot-1.jpg

How about making sure the game is good first and worrying about the small percentage of people who use three monitors or 3d.

not sure if it fits this thread, but pc gamer has some pictures showing pc hud.
I disliked how intrusive it seemed in the console version vids, but the pc iteration looks good.
deus-ex-human-revolution-action-shot-1.jpg

PC version looks freaking awesome! There is a video out as well that shows the PC UI. It's minor stuff, stuff we expected 10 years ago, but now it seems like a blessing.

How about making sure the game is good first and worrying about the small percentage of people who use three monitors or 3d.

While I agree, if the gameplay is as good as we hope, then good 3D support could bring things up another level for those who have it. They mention AMD but most gamers who have 3D set ups (like myself) use Nvidia 3D Vision. Many games look really great (DAO is one) and for example Portal 2 looks stunning. I'm not a multiple monitor guy and don't think I ever will be but it looks interesting.

Since nearly all the games are being made with the consoles in mind first, the only Directx 11 features we see in those games are some few special effects here and there. Current generation of consoles consists of Directx 9 hardware with some tweaks. I think we can't see a fully Directx11 game until this generation of consoles died out completely. And this seems unlikely in the near future, because there're no plans for new consoles right now from both Microsoft and Sony (building a new console is pretty expensive and hard as you may know).

But another question can be if these Directx 11 graphics really necessary? I think with the right artists, Directx 9 is still more than capable of bringing awesome graphics to players. I don't think Directx 11 is so necessary. While I don't like games are being designed according to the consoles (from other reasons than graphics), there's one advantage of this. We don't need to upgrade our systems in every six months now, I still play new games in high quality with my nearly 2 years old system.

I don't like the lines in between monitors. I wished the curved monitors would have become more mainstream. The only one I know of that you can buy is a 40" for $ 6000.00. Way to much for me I'd maybe shell out $2000.00 for a curved monitor.

I don't like the lines in between monitors. I wished the curved monitors would have become more mainstream. The only one I know of that you can buy is a 40" for $ 6000.00. Way to much for me I'd maybe shell out $2000.00 for a curved monitor.

How I envy you if you can spend $2000.00 on just a monitor. I have rent and other necessary bills to pay and cant waste that much on my pc now. A few years back I could but not now.

Yeah I have house, car, kids, wife ect. After paying everything else and savings my extra money goes to home theater and my computer. My friends give me a hard time because I'm always upgrading and buying new electronics. But they have boats, 4 wheelers and expensive cars which I don't. It,s all about where you want to put your extra money.

I have scaled back quite a bit though with the economy in the pooper I put much more in savings.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford pretty much whatever I want in regards to upgrading my system, but I would never pay $2000 for a monitor. I just can't imagine any monitor being worth that much to me.

@DeepO- Thanks for posting that screen of the PC version. My optimism for DX:HR is growing again.

$2000 is about what i spend on a new machine and upgrades over a 4-5 year period so all of this is out of my league but its rare that i ever play a game on anything but nearly maxed out graphics. granted i still haven't gotten a dx11 card yet, probably by the end of the year as a made the choice between a good card for my birthday and instead bought the witcher collectors and a new mp3 player. almost at 2 years though with my 260 card so by the end of the year who knows, usually i only go about 1.5 years on average.

Since nearly all the games are being made with the consoles in mind first, the only Directx 11 features we see in those games are some few special effects here and there. Current generation of consoles consists of Directx 9 hardware with some tweaks. I think we can't see a fully Directx11 game until this generation of consoles died out completely. And this seems unlikely in the near future, because there're no plans for new consoles right now from both Microsoft and Sony (building a new console is pretty expensive and hard as you may know).

But another question can be if these Directx 11 graphics really necessary? I think with the right artists, Directx 9 is still more than capable of bringing awesome graphics to players. I don't think Directx 11 is so necessary. While I don't like games are being designed according to the consoles (from other reasons than graphics), there's one advantage of this. We don't need to upgrade our systems in every six months now, I still play new games in high quality with my nearly 2 years old system.

Yeah, Crysis 2 was a DX9 only game at launch and honestly looked better than damn near any other game ever released, save for maybe Crysis itself. On the other hand DX11 games like Dragon Age 2 or Battlefield: Bad Company 2 look average at best.

The one game that used DX11 really well I thought was, of all things, Alien Vs. Predator. With tessellation and DX11 shadows on, with DX11 AA on as well, that game looked a lot better than its DX9 version. Something about the way they used those shadows was remarkable.

All in all though you can't blame companies for not diving in with features like 2% of their market will use.

Eyefinity is unfortunately quite ugly with the black bars :/ looks like something from the late 90's imo. 3D could be interesting to try though.

That's what you think at first, and also that only 5% of the games supports it and it's very expensive. Well all of those things are false.

1) Bars
- It's like you'd driving a car, after five minutes you don't mind the bars between windshield and side windows. You actively follow the middle screen and the extensions increase the field of view and helps to detect things more easily. Of course static pics don't look all that fancy, but once you sit down and play the game... Just Wow!

2) Support
- Almost every new game works in Eyefinity and it was huge surprise for me. Like Gothic 2 for example works, though some games do require a mod or ini tweak to get working. support is there because most games try to already support different resolutions and aspect ratios.

3) Expenses
- Eyefinity capable VGA, I use 5850, which you need to update anyways at some point. 250€
- Adapter for DisplayPort to DVI/HDMI, DP->VGA adapter costs around 40€
- Extra screens. Nowdays 23" ws screens cost 150€ at the cheapest a piece.
- Altogether it cost me +350€ half year ago extra when upgrading my comp.

As an experience, Eyefinity felt like playing the games with graphics card at the first time. It cannot be explained how much more visual and more realistic it will make the games, you have to experienced by yourself to understand. I'll never go back for sure! :)

I recommend and still I haven't seen unhappy Surround gamer. ;)

PS. Of course in RPG visuals are not that important but definitily help to get the right feeling.

Back
Top Bottom