What MMORPG should I play?

I've done the books up until the part where you have to go to the Lone Lands. I'm trying to finish up miscellaneous stuff in Bree before heading there.

I'll probably skip some of the content so I'm not over-leveled for the Trollshaws.

Just saw the Hobbit by the way. Pretty awesome movie. It was cool hearing of all these places that I heard about in the game. Seems like every quest pack was represented in the movie, haha.

In the Lone Lands now. Very cool place. I like the feel of it.

Dude, don't EVER do the Forsaken Inn instance. What a pain in the behind. And the reward was paltry at best. Do all instances reward you with
medallions?
I mean, I was expecting some magical item or something. ANYTHING. But, maybe I'm just missing something here.

Did you guys do that instance?

Hmmm, all this talk has got me interested in trying out LOTR Online now :D

Fluent, what server are you on? I'll give it a whirl and see how it goes.

We are both on Vilya although I haven't run across his toon. I didn't do that instance and now I know not to bother ;). Yeah give LOTRO a whirl! Fluent just wait until you hit the Legendary system. It is very impactful and fun to manage. A bit of a learning curve but fun once you get used to the Legendary Relic and crafting system. It's a bit surprising how much detail and complexity they put into it and how much customization there is. Critically impactful for your toon really.

On that reward you got: I've completely ignored the trading system for that. Outside of the old regional rep system (aka getting Kindred status to buy from reputation vendors) I haven't done a thing with traders. The game has lots of optional subsystems you can exploit that I haven't touched. Have you seen any uber gear to trade for those that draw you to the trading system? I saw some great gear in Rivendell but I was too lazy to pursue it. With all the buffs you can put into switchable Legendaries I'm going to concentrate there...

Dr. A, check it out. Vilya server.

It's a fantastic game, as I've said a million times now. It has all the workings of a great single player RPG but with some excellent social systems on top of it all. The auction house especially is a big favorite of mine, and questing with my kin is a lot of fun. You can play solo though too if you want and it's still a lot of fun.

If you need any help, feel free to /tell me in the game. My character's name is Iarvenhir. If you like the game and decide to stick around and join a kin, we would take you in if you wanted. It's a very friendly and helpful group that looks out for each other.

Todd, I too have ignored that trading system until now. I did check the gear and there was some really nice pieces that require both Marks and Medallions. So I guess they're not useless as long as I either use them, or maybe even sell them if I can. I haven't checked if there's uber gear that you can get with them, but there's some level 30 stuff I definitely am interested in bartering for.

Have you ever done Iorbar's Peak instance? I'm really interested in that one, but you need Rohan expansion to complete it. I'm a VIP now but I don't have any of the expansions yet.

Here's a few screenshots I took. I have seen even better vistas then these, just been too lazy to take a shot :D.

tjbsBPch.jpg

kjYFazGh.jpg

RwbtyHDh.jpg

xJHP3mKh.jpg

inj2p9lh.jpg

Straddle? I think that's Weathertop in the extreme distance of top right corner of the first shot.

Yeah, that first one is Staddle. Weathertop is a cool location. I like how it stands out in the background when you're riding towards it. Climbed it and finished a book quest there not too long ago. Moving ever closer to the beloved Rivendell :). Level 28 now.

Thanks for the recommendation, all :)

I only managed to put in about 30 minutes this morning before I had to leave for work. It was quite fun and interesting.

I'll play for real tonight!

Perhaps this will help encourage you… Shots from tonight in DX11, 680m Sager NP9150...

Calindorr: Ardent of Freedom at Barad Morlas, The ruins of Eregion
ScreenShot00003_zps7dc58e57.jpg

Onward To the doors of Durin, the Western Gate of Moria
ScreenShot00009_zpsc2c7db68.jpg

Into Darkness - the Stairs to Great Delving
ScreenShot00010_zps123949ad.jpg

A Small Fellowship Ponders its Path
ScreenShot00015_zps79542aeb.jpg

The Ancient Dwarven Works
ScreenShot00016_zps9012063e.jpg

Nice... Not bad for a slightly elderly game :D

I'm greatly anticipating Neverwinter MMO which will be free to download and play. I've been playing the last 2 beta weekends. The game looks amazing and can be played solo. So it's almost like a free singleplayer RPG :)

I've also being playing Guild Wars 2 with two max-levelled characters. Best MMO I've every played and that comes from having played WoW for 6 years.

Here's another one I like. From the huge lake Nen Harn.

OTkKgKkh.jpg

The game feels bigger than it looks.

Nice… Not bad for a slightly elderly game :D

I'm greatly anticipating Neverwinter MMO which will be free to download and play. I've been playing the last 2 beta weekends. The game looks amazing and can be played solo. So it's almost like a free singleplayer RPG :)

I've also being playing Guild Wars 2 with two max-levelled characters. Best MMO I've every played and that comes from having played WoW for 6 years.

Guild Wars 2 looks cool, but I wasn't impressed with Neverwinter. I don't like games that rely on golden trails to lead you to your objectives. I know you can turn that off, but still, I wasn't crazy about the gameplay I saw.

LOTRO is an older game but it's seriously gorgeous. I was exploring a bit of Harloeg today, which is mostly a bog, and it was really nice. There is a part where the bog turns to like a forested bog area, and that area was really beautiful. I love the art style the game has. Just make sure you download the high resolution LOTRO, and not the low res one.

The ambient lighting effects are cool too. The deeper you go into an enemy encampment or fort, it starts to get darker and more ominous. You really feel like you are in an evil place. Especially when attracting the wrong enemy could mean death. You even get filled with dread which lowers your maximum health. It makes you happy when you've done what you needed to do and hightail it out of there.

Hoping I get to Rivendell soon. I'm dealing with Radagast now, so Rivendell shouldn't be too far away.

Here's a few more screens I took today.

Harloeg
CshCeR4h.jpg

Harloeg #2
Z4pVTKZh.jpg

Ost Guruth at night.
l4dzbo7h.jpg

The Last Bridge to the Trollshaws in the distance
ISOlqpCh.jpg

Weathertop in the distance.
4TgtznTh.jpg

A view of Harloeg from afar.
lySKlqwh.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good Fluent. BTW let me know if you need any help with your class or craft quests. Especially the Heart of the Wood Part IV. I needed cover for that for my hunter!

Nice! Can't wait for Moria. Level 31 now and just doing some Evendim stuff at the moment. Do you know what level you get an invite to start the Trollshaws? As soon as that happens I will be going there instead. I took a ride with some kin through Trollshaws the other night and my god, the scenery and music is just beautiful. Too bad everything there wanted to eat me alive. Great area though, can't wait to explore it more.

Moria is unreal. They really nailed it. I love the quests. Navigation is a bit touchy in some areas as there is significant vertical involved which has no map representation. Lots of places to plummet to your death too... Ask me how I know ;)

I don't think you need an invite for an area although eventually you get a quest hook. If you can survive to the Last Bridge you are ready to cross it into the Shaws.

Nice. Sounds like it's time then.

Already level 33. Evendim is really nice, almost want to stay and explore more. The Northcotton farm stuff was really quaint and nice, I liked that. The white sands along the Brandywine were gorgeous too. Loved the salamanders and essences all along the coast. Seems like a great region but I love the Trollshaws, so there I shall go.

Shoot, at this rate I might catch up you Todd. :) Maybe we can quest in Moria together. What level are you?

Few more screens.

The view from the Last Bridge.
jrEIrE3h.jpg

The other side of the Last Bridge.
hDHv3wGh.jpg

An orange sky over the Lone Lands
VlYaIRth.jpg

As you can see, I'm a sucker for panoramic vistas :).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom