Gothic 3 New Community Patch out. v1.5

This is great, I wasn't expecting this patch to be out so soon. Look at the changelog, it's huge! These guys have really done a great job. :worship:

Yeah, I randomly decided to check if they were even making one and see that it was just released :)

Good thing these guys are doing what the Devs should have done before the game was released.

good job, guys.. it will come in handy for my next play-through.. :)

Do you really need to start a new game for these, by the way? I'm still (!) relatively at the beginning, but I'd rather go on with my save games if at all possible than start over. I'll even take for granted that not ALL bug fixes will work, if MOST of them do. :)

EDIT: Okay, so I answered my own question. From the notes:

Modifications may lead to problems during the installation of this patch.
Please remove them (including all files saved in the Gothic 3 folder) before the installation!

It is advised not to use old savegames, but instead start a new game,
otherwise compatibility problems might arise.

I think I'm gonna risk it, though.

i remember reading at jowood forums that if the particular quest have already been triggered before installing the patch then the fix will have no effect on the quest.. in my case, since i'm already at level 40-something.. i'd rather carry on just as it is, warts and all.. :)

Having a blast so far, this patch is excellent. I love how they fixed the different arrows(fire, headnock) to finally have the effects that they should.

I've been away from Gothic 3 since been extremely dissapointed by it when it came out. It is still a good game just not as magnificient as its predecessors so now when I got a new computer Id like to try it again.

I heard, and it seems likely, that a new official patch is not coming out. However how far has the community patches progressed. I prefer wielding a sword and going against enemies from close but from what I remember boars kept killing me at lvl 30+. Combat was basically about stunlocking enemies, one at a time. Is close combat better now or is everyone playing as a mage or archer?

I prefer wielding a sword and going against enemies from close but from what I remember boars kept killing me at lvl 30+. Combat was basically about stunlocking enemies, one at a time. Is close combat better now or is everyone playing as a mage or archer?

Community patches aren't going to change the fighting system, I doubt even Official Patches would do that to any significant degree. Fighting with a sword in that game is mostly just chain attacking until they die. Sure it harder against animals, but not to the degree you're describing.

As for playing mages... meh it's even harder in beginning, and get too easy and boring late on.

yes, stun-locking is a real killer (pun unintentional).. :) i still find myself scampering away from wolves & boars if i hadn't saved for some time..

I've been away from Gothic 3 since been extremely dissapointed by it when it came out. It is still a good game just not as magnificient as its predecessors so now when I got a new computer Id like to try it again.

I heard, and it seems likely, that a new official patch is not coming out. However how far has the community patches progressed. I prefer wielding a sword and going against enemies from close but from what I remember boars kept killing me at lvl 30+. Combat was basically about stunlocking enemies, one at a time. Is close combat better now or is everyone playing as a mage or archer?

Stunlocking wildlife was reduced significantly with one of the early patches (1.08?). It can still happen with wolves, jackals, and sandcrawlers though..

in google mood, so found CP FAQ: Community Patch FAQs

Woah! I found this interesting:

When will bug XY be fixed? This would be most important.

Until Com Patch 1.4, our possibilities to fix bugs were very limited - we could almost only work on some errors in dialogues and quests. From time to time some items, perks or NPC related bugs could be fixed.

Although we have the code in our hands now, we didn't work our way through it yet. Without a proper and time consuming analysis, it's almost impossible to give prognoses about our bugfixing possibilities.

Well, well... so they have the code. Future community patches may be much more involving than up till now, I assume.

explains why v1.4 and v1.5 were so much larger then earlier ones.

I've never had any problems with stunlocking since starting my game with the 1.5 patch. Some creatures do manage to get a fast chain of attacks against you, but I've found that simply tapping the right mouse button can break that chain.

OK, now this is ridiculous.

Today I upgraded my rig to 3 GBs of RAM. I put the /3GB switch in boot.ini (Win XP), everything seems to work fine. I thought I could finally play G3 without any problems.
But No.
When I run somewhere (=make the game load new areas), after about 20 seconds the game starts running slower and slower, almost to a halt. It's completely unplayable. It worked a lot better when I only had 1 GB of RAM.
The loading times are improved, but little good it does to me now...

Could anyone help? Could it possibly be related to the 1.5 community patch? Should I reinstall? Or should I put some secret codes into the INI file or what? I'd appreciate some tips.

You don't just need to set Windows to use more Ram, you also need to run the patch that tells Gothic 3 to be using more RAM. There's some user patch out for that, search the News Thread on Gothic 3 v1.5 Community Patch, its mentioned there.

As for running slower and slower, it sounds like its still using the Hard Drive, maybe you're still telling windows to use a Large Pagefile? Still it should have been using the RAM first. I don't know how it was playing well with 1 Gig for you.

It wasn't playing particularly well, but I tinkered with the INI, turned some things down, turned some other things up (creature visibility etc.) and had fun for about 30 hours, so it definitely was playable ;-). Now it's unplayable, so it's a big difference.
I'll see about the pagefile, thanks. I certainly didn't change its setting after buying the new RAM.
And thanks again - for the info about the user patch, I'll search for it.

Anyone else experiencing problems again with the copy protection?
After I installed 1.5, it won't recognize my dvd anymore, no matter what I do and they all of s sudden stop putting in an Uninstall feature, damn it. :(
So I can't even get in the game to see if it's slowed down the loading time again, as it did in the original release.

Thanks. :)

Back
Top Bottom