Shaker - Update #5 from Tom Hall and Brenda Brathwaite

Dhruin

SasqWatch
"Old School RPG" appears to have a name - Shaker: An Old School RPG. The latest update discusses some gameplay, the party (actually 6 characters when you include 2 recruitable player characters) and professions:

YOUR PARTY

Shaker: An Old School RPG features a six-character party - you and your 3 crew as well as 2 recruitable player characters. You begin the game as James Connelly, though you may customize him any way you like (including changing his appearance and gender). Next, you create 3 different Shaker operatives to join you on your Antera mission. Traveling back through time and space to arrive on Antera, you may recruit two locals to work on your crew.

YOUR CHARACTERS AND CREW

All characters and recruits have key statistics as quantified by Shaker Corporation: Strength, Vitality, Agility, Quickness, Intelligence, and Psy. The values of these attributes determine what Profession you qualify for. Your characters are also born with a specific BioTrait pattern. Similar to “race” in old-school games, a character’s BioTrait pre-disposes gives them certain strengths, weaknesses and powers. Recruiting locals (which you can, of course, fire) will help you to balance your party.
We are in pre-production at present, and want to give you an early look at the core Bridge Professions and how they map to Professions on the destination worlds.
More information.

An interesting update and the story premise is actually starting to sound fairly interesting.

A shame then that the kickstarter as a whole is something of a shambles. Daily pledges have plummeted and it's not looking good for making their million dollars...

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/lo...by-brenda-brathwaite-and-tom-hal/#chart-daily

I think the lesson to be learnt here is to prepare a decent campaign right from the start.

I guess I should shamefully admit that I've yet to back any kickstarter. Selfish? I suppose so.

The thing is that I'm not convinced the concept really works - and I think I just need to see a single example of it working, before I commit.

If any of these very promising titles turn out to be good - I'll start backing more than I can afford, I'm sure.

Well, I'm starting to be won over by this... i like the premise of the setting and the story that have been presented. I'll wait for a couple more updates, but it looks better and better.

I guess I should shamefully admit that I've yet to back any kickstarter. Selfish? I suppose so.

The thing is that I'm not convinced the concept really works - and I think I just need to see a single example of it working, before I commit.

If any of these very promising titles turn out to be good - I'll start backing more than I can afford, I'm sure.

FLT is a pretty good example of a game working.

FLT is a pretty good example of a game working.

I haven't played it myself - but from what I've seen of it, it looks like a small indie title, the likes of which are released for free most of the time.

I wouldn't mind paying 5$ for a game like that, but I don't think it's an interesting Kickstarter project worthy of my support.

That's just me, however. I'm generally not into games at that level of production values.

I feel the same way about games like Terraria, Minecraft - and so on. I can't get immersed when games look like 8-bit games.

Eschalon is just about the entry level for what I require from games in terms of visual standards.

I don't think it's selfish at all, DArtagnan, it's more so simply a consumer choice.
You're not obligated in any way to support any project, even if it's within a genre that you're passionate about. The choice of whether you do, is up to you, and it is what it is…a choice.

I actually put forward a pledge for the first time just last night actually for Project Eternity. I feel it was slightly remiss of me to miss out on Wasteland 2, but I'll show my support by purchasing it when it's released. :)

It's certainly an exciting time to be a fan of our genre; although I can't really afford to back as many projects as I'd like!

Shaker? What will we be shaking there? If the answer is boobs, I'm buying!

Shaker? What will we be shaking there? If the answer is boobs, I'm buying!

Your guess is correct. Unfortunately, it's Brenda's boobs :(

I haven't played it myself - but from what I've seen of it, it looks like a small indie title, the likes of which are released for free most of the time.

I wouldn't mind paying 5$ for a game like that, but I don't think it's an interesting Kickstarter project worthy of my support.

That's just me, however. I'm generally not into games at that level of production values.

I feel the same way about games like Terraria, Minecraft - and so on. I can't get immersed when games look like 8-bit games.

Eschalon is just about the entry level for what I require from games in terms of visual standards.

Indie titles are released free most of the time now? In what world are you in?

Also, FTL is easily worth $10. EASILY. If you can't get past the graphics (which are classy) there's not much more to say.

Last edited:
really? I was hoping it was about a near extinct people who practiced marital purity and only adopted their children.

Shakers_Dancing.jpg

...the movers and the shakers of this world...

Really interesting setting and story, a welcome change. Reminds me early Might and Magic games and Hard to be a God. I think the combat and gameplay system would be same like Wizardry 8 and Wizard&Warriors. Really bad they won't be able to reach their goal because of so many suspicions out there. Waste of potential.

Pledged. I was unsure the first couple of updates, but I'm starting to get intrigued. If they manage to get some updates out with combat systems and perhaps some concept art I think more people will start to warm up. They've only got a quarter of what they asked for so far, but with 25 days to go it's still a possibility they'll make it. According to Kicktraq they're gonna come up short, but just by a hundred k. Things might brighten up if they get their act together.

Last edited:
Faster Than Light:

FTL= Makers of Dungeon Master

FTL= game:
In FTL you experience the atmosphere of running a spaceship trying to save the galaxy. It's a dangerous mission, with every encounter presenting a unique challenge with multiple solutions. What will you do if a heavy missile barrage shuts down your shields? Reroute all power to the engines in an attempt to escape, power up additional weapons to blow your enemy out of the sky, or take the fight to them with a boarding party? This "spaceship simulation roguelike-like" allows you to take your ship and crew on an adventure through a randomly generated galaxy filled with glory and bitter defeat.

Back
Top Bottom