RPGWatch Side Quest: 2006 - 2007 Overview, Part 2

Dhruin

SasqWatch
We continue our preview of 2007, covering more action titles, indies and speculation on a number of topics. Here's a snip:
Pulling back from specific games, will 2007 see any particular trends? Apart from the long-term general action-isation of the genre, it's hard to pick any movements with confidence. I'd like to predict the arrival of a thriving indie mid-tier market enabled by digital delivery but, frankly, there's little sign of a stream of new indies to follow this current batch. I'd also like to predict this year's diversity and new IPs will continue but, again, it's not likely...2007 is just a trick of accidental timing (assuming the expected titles actually ship, of course).
Head here to read it all.
More information.

. Sacred has been a huge success with over 1.7M units sold

Sacred really sold this much ?!?!! are you sure?

noted:
No grimnoire in the indie section this year :D

Grimmoire?? What's that!! :biggrin:

I think the only other things which might be highly anticipated this year, are some really good mods for NWN2. As usual, a good, thoughtful article Dhruin!!

Excellent finish to the article. I would say the crop of indies (assuming some of them are successful) might spawn some additional interest in the genre from major publishers. Read it here first--2010 should be a good year for us. ;)

Sacred really sold this much ?!?!! are you sure?

noted:
No grimnoire in the indie section this year :D

Yep. RPGDot's stupid new skin breaks old database entries but you can see the headline on this page. That was 1.6M in 2005, so I'm pretty comfortable saying 1.7M over a year later and subsequent to the Sacred Gold release. In fairness, that would encompass Sacred + Underworld expansion + Sacred Gold, but the main point is that some games change the way the media sees things (Oblivion) but other games achieve similar success with no fanfare.

Dude, you totally glossed over Fallout 3. Gamespot, IGN and other major gaming sites have already written their articles naming it "revolutionary", "innovative", "game of the year" and "the best cRPG of all time."

Get with the times, man!

Unfortunately, while I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the reviews have already been paid for and written, I don't believe F3 is scheduled for a 2007 release, which was the purpose of Dhruin's article!! :)

Dude, you totally glossed over Fallout 3. Gamespot, IGN and other major gaming sites have already written their articles naming it "revolutionary", "innovative", "game of the year" and "the best cRPG of all time."

Get with the times, man!

:lol:

Thumbs up, Vasilii. You only have to believe, then things become better. Somewhat like an big eruption that destroys Bethesda's offices. :D

@article: Well done series. I just read it and think it's a very good overview. At least not as negative as our folks at Codex. :D

Get with the times, man!

:)

I'm going to be careful with Fallout 3. I know what I think Bethsoft will do but I'm going to keep a neutral stance until I see the actual details.

I think we're all scepticle, but keeping an open mind for the time being. If it's a post-nuclear Oblivion clone, then I won't touch it!!

I don't expect much, so I can't be disappointed. If they really create a true successor I will be the first one to gratulate them. If not... well, bad luck. I won't buy it.

I see the, 'Oblivion sucks' sentiment has permeatted this site...

No, I enjoyed Oblivion for what it was, I've played all the TES games. However, It was not what was promised and if F3 takes the same path, then it will not be a Fallout game.

Oblivion doesn't suck. But it's not a game for poor old Avantenor who's to stupid to navigate via WASD and get the time frame for the next mouseclick. If this is what you want, ok, it's your choice. But FO isn't Oblivion and we are fans of FO, not TES. So why should we be happy if it becomes an Oblivion clone? Can't see any improvement in this.

Maybe Bethesda does a good job. But I think they try to "modernize" the game. Not only in technique.

a common sentiment here is actually that many like the game they just don't think it is a good rpg. and since fallout happens to be on or at the top of people's top ten rpg lists (not mine though;)) hesitation towards bethesda working on it is obviously warranted. i enjoyed my romp through oblivion well enough for two-three weeks; though it is probably the only game i've spent over $40 dollars on that i've never replayed. ironic for a game that seemingly touts just that. despite the fallout franchise's following along with many mixed feelings about oblivion i am sure there are some out there like myself who probably won't touch fallout 3 without a demo. then again i could speak for only myself...

Why are you so defensive over Oblivion? You have the right to like it, others have the right to not like it.

I was a big fan of Morrowind, and I can't stand Fallout. But that has nothing to do with this, does it?
In this case, it is not even about Oblivion being an (good) RPG or not, but about the style of games bethesda makes and about the style of game Fallout was.
Top-down, turn-based, stat-based is very different from first-person, fast-action game play that needs player's reflexes.

I was talking to hubbie the other day, and we were saying we wished Bethesda and Obsidian would do a licence swap. I think that Obsidian's style would suit Fallout a lot better, whereas Bethesda's fast paced first person style would suit the Alien-universe so much more. The did the dark, dreary ruin thing with traps very well in OB, and I can see them do the same with derelict spaceships and such. And I really think an Alien-RPG would be served by a first person perspective for the extra claustrofobia.
Whereas Fallout would benifit a lot more from the story and dialog writing skills that Obsidian posesses (and which is bethesda's weak point).

Ah, well, they won't, and both games might turn out great anyway ;)

Unfortunately, while I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the reviews have already been paid for and written, I don't believe F3 is scheduled for a 2007 release, which was the purpose of Dhruin's article!! :)

Then why is Sacred 2 in it? Isn´t the current target release Q1/08 ?! ;)

I actually really, really liked Oblivion, put in >100 hours and picked up the 'Knights of the Nine' expansion on a great post-holiday sale for <$10 and plan to reinstall this weekend.

***BUT***

I have a great number of criticisms of the game, especially as regards to the hyperbole used in describing it in so many media sources and also with regards to its RPG qualities.

I do not find inconsistencies in enjoying a game while simultaneously criticizing it ...

Back
Top Bottom