VtM: Bloodlines - Retrospective @ Eurogamer

Yea, it destroyed. I used to be an adventurer. The arrow missed my knee though, instead, vibrating books damaged my ears and sandbox dropped on my head and shut down my brains.
That's good for a laugh at least.:lol: That slogan was of course modded out of my game along with the sweet roll comment. Thank god for modders.:worship:

But while bug-o-rama, I still loved that game. Now you tell me, why on earth would I love that buggy game and in the same time despise equally if not more bugfilled Skyrim. The answer is simple.

Indeed - its the content that matters and it shines.

Modders mainly fix technical issues - its the content that matters and it shines.

IMO an RPG with broken mechanics doesn't shine no matter how much glorious dialogue it has - and TOEE doesn't even shine that regard.

I miss Troika. Such potential dashed on the rocks far too early.

It also talks about Werner "Wesp5" Spahl, and his famous unofficial patch that keep the game alive.

Except that "patch" causes random crashing to desktop on level changes, the "true patch" doesn't and allows the easy swapping of the binaries which is the only thing necessary to play the game on a modern system.

I've had no crashes with that patch either. Can't really compare it with the original unpatched version, as I never played Bloodlines much at release.

Excellent game. I replayed it last year with the community patch. It was even better than I remembered.

I never tire of the haunted inn. That level scared the hell out me playing it in the dark the first time. To bad another game in the series was never made.
:

The haunted inn of this game and the Shaledbridge Cradle orphanage/asylum of Thief 3 are my best haunted buildings in games.

I really have trouble blaming Activision for this one. From this article, it sounds like Troika was biting off way more than they could chew. Activision figured out that these guys weren't going to ever get the game done without a hard core deadline so they gave them six months to wrap it up.

If it were six weeks, yeah, that's just not feasible. But if you've been working on a game for three years and still aren't close to done, there's a big problem and I don't think it's the publisher's problem. Somebody at Troika was having problems saying "no" and it killed them.

Actually most games that don't have any preexisting assets take longer then 3 years to make depending on the size of the game. A good example is with the TES games where Morrowind took 6 years to make but subsequent games took 3 years. With Morrowind they had to create everything except for what was provided by the middleware and subsequent games were mostly changes on what they had. This along with adapting a game engine that is not suited to what you are making means you need at least 4 years to make the game.

I think they did an amazing job, especially in such a short time. Combat was not great but everything else was 10/10.

If games are going to try and succeed off of content like movies this is the level they need to be at.

Back
Top Bottom