Fallout 3 - Afterthoughts Interview @ 1Up

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Titled Afterthoughts, 1Up has a retrospective interview with Emil Pagliarulo on Fallout 3. There are a couple of interesting spoilerific answers, such as this one here about the design of the ending (don't read on if you haven't finished the story line):
1UP: Somewhat related to that: Why are companions not an option for inputting the Project Purity code? You already have the option to have Sentinel Lyons input the code in your place. There are three viable options for an alternate to input the code: Fawkes, Sergeant RL-3N, and Charon. The player has already experienced a situation where Fawkes can enter an irradiated room and perform a task, RL-3N should follow his programming to obey you, and Charon would not only become healthier due to the radiation, but he's established as essentially a slave who will do whatever his contract-holder orders him to do. To the player, the inability for either to input the code seems really contradictory.

EP: That's a great question, and one that's obviously come up quite a bit in different forums. Let me try to shed some light on why the game is like that -- it's a pretty interesting look inside the development process.

All of the followers were implemented into the game fairly late in development, after the main story had already been nailed down. So, you know, we had the scene at the end of the game, with deadly radiation, and never really compensated for the fact that you could have a Supermutant, or Ghoul, or robot, who could possibly turn the purifier on for you. We'd only ever planned for you sending Sarah Lyons into the purifier, because we knew, from a story standpoint, that she'd definitely be in there with you.

What we could do -- and what we did ultimately do -- is cover that stuff in dialogue. You can ask those followers to go into the purifier, and they'll tell you why they won't. We felt that fit with their personalities, but really, they didn't "sell" that to the player in a single line of dialogue. So, in the end, the player's left with a, "Huh, why the hell can't they do it?!" sort of feeling.

So the story does kind of break down. But you know what? We knew that, and were OK with it, because the trade-off is, well, you get these cool followers to join you. You meet up with Fawkes near the end of the game, and it's true you can go right with him to the purifier. So we could've not had him there as a follower, and that would've solved the problem of him not going into the purifier -- because, at that point in development, that was the only fix we had time for. But we kept it, and players got him as a follower, and they seem to love adventuring him with. Gameplay trumped story, in that example -- as I believe it should have.

So if we'd planned better, we could've addressed that more satisfactorily. But considering how it all went down, I feel good about the decision we made there.
More information.

On the one hand I agree that just removing the companions would not have been a good decision, on the other hand I feel that the writing was quite disappointing and artificial in the end, where it should have been at its best normally.

If time was the only issue, they could have modified the ending in a patch. Maybe they did not because they all felt good enough already about the Fallout 3 sales figures ;)

Last edited:
I'm with the RPGcodex team with this. Awful, awful, main story-line.

And how is it so very different from the main story of FO1?? Find us a waterchip or we'll run out of pure water and die!!

I have said it many times before, but people have rosey views of games they loved in the past. Meaning, it all seems better now then it actually was.

I have said it many times before, but people have rosey views of games they loved in the past. Meaning, it all seems better now then it actually was.

Many of those games are pure nostalgia, but many really do hold up. I severely doubt that anyone will be saying even next year 'remember how great the writing was in FO3'? ... perhaps talking about having fun watching heads roll down hills ...

Here's a question which should have been asked:- How did the Raiders form their little groups, since they immediately attack anyone whom they see. How do you join or become a Raider then?

I could be wrong but I thought if you had Evil Karma that the raiders did not always attack you. Although I think they still might, but simply not always... I haven't tested it myself.. But I know that in most books and faqs out there it lists the Good and Neutral Karma as being always attacked by Raiders, while there isn't anything mentioned on the evil karma. So i simply assumed they do not always attack you if you are evil.

not that i'd ever play that way but the raiders should really be joinable at least at some of the larger camps. evergreen mills for instance is one of the largest bases of any group in the entire game but theres very few non combat options. even the slaves basically want nothing to do with you! collecting dead fingers never seemed karmatically good or even neutral, jusk rather sick, so i've never picked either of those perks but it would have been nice to see some kind of reward for wiping out bandit camps/leaders even if it were one set of bandits going after the other.

oh and there is that one building dunwich, which is an unmarked quest but is one of the more "spookier" levels that has an interesting story through logs, and that person explained how he joined up with bandits. could of been a long time ago though an with less and less living people i can see that bandits would prefer prey rather than having to divide the loot with someone else.

a large problem of disbelief for me if dwelled upon to much with the game though is the time period--200 years since the bombs dropped--forgetting the whole self-sustained power supplies which could in some longshot way be explained, what bothers me is that a number of dialogues make it seem like some of the living were there when it started.

I for one liked the virtual reality level it had some good writing and general good layout. I think some of teh better things I found in the game were little areas that really were not part of a larger scene but just showed like a radio station where there was a chair on the roof and a bunch of cans etc....and a skeleton.

I for one liked the virtual reality level it had some good writing and general good layout. I think some of teh better things I found in the game were little areas that really were not part of a larger scene but just showed like a radio station where there was a chair on the roof and a bunch of cans etc....and a skeleton.

Tell me, rune... is there anything you *didn't* like about FO3? Just askin'...

Tell me, rune... is there anything you *didn't* like about FO3? Just askin'...

So now I'm a target for liking it again huh?

I guess thats easier then commenting on what I wrote, some people like doing that.

Ok I'll bite, didn't like how it leveled too fast. Thought there could have been some more settlements. Some of the voice acting was not very good. As well some of the w riting was not up to par.

I'm sorry I'm not going to be bitter like a bunch of you over Bethesda taking the game in a new direction. I think people overlook any of the good stuff in order to make it worse then it actually is. There are some really cool areas, if you WANT to see them.

Those are quite close to my criticisms of it too. So how come you've never voiced them, and you're always up in arms whenever someone brings them up?

I have, actually. I just get up ion arms when its all the bethesda hate and ignorance. I have said many times its a good game not a great game. I have never said its the bestest game ever. I just really enjoyed what it was. I even stated at one time I think it gets the atmosphere better then the originals, I think that mostly has to do with the graphics and sound(I'm talking strictly on the feeling when you first leave the vault.) This has very little to do with the writing at the time I felt this.

I take exception to people assuming if you enjoyed this you must be young. I'm one of those people that see games for what they do right rather then looking at all the problems or listening to others opinions of what should be good. I have enjoyed a ton of games many probably would not. I have played so many games now they all tend to blend in, if I can remember certain things from games it means they did something right.

Unfortunately with all this mess I tend to respond to the NMA or extreme posters of negativity more then I respond to the neutral etc posts, mostly because I feel that if left unchecked its somewhat unfair to the game. (note this does not mean all members of the NMA, they unfortunately just make an easy target.)

Back
Top Bottom