27" Monitor, any good?

Remus

Antihero
There are several 27" monitors in the market and i am thinking of getting one. It will be mostly used for movie (40%), gaming (40%) and the rest, online surfing. Below are the models that i'm looking at for awhile:

Dell U2711
Viewsonic VX2739wm
Samsung 27'' P2770H
Samsung 27" P2770FH

IMO the best is the Dell's IPS panel, but expensive. The Samsung P2770FH seems interesting and the latest one, but i can't fine an online reviews except some user comments on newegg.

Any 27" screen users here? Do you think the size is too big or less comfortable if compared to 24" screen?

I have two 24" monitors at work. Granted I am not using them for gaming or movies, but for everything else, they are more than large enough, almost too big. I think any bigger and it would be hard to use sitting so close.

I found a test of the ViewSonic. Unfortunately only in German. It's on the most reliable site for TFT tests, but some articles are no longer available for free.

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2010/test-viewsonic-vx2739wm-summary.html?c=1&id=529

They give the monitor a "C", but this isn't necessarily bad because it uses only the cheap TN panel. Lots of connectors for all the multi-media stuff. No LED tech yet, but very good for gaming because it's the world's first TFT with a response time of 1 ms!

ON the Samsung P2770HD:
http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2010/test-samsung-p2770hd-teil13.html#Fazit

Good for movies, but not recommended for hardcore gaming. Input lag and response time are not good enough.
"B"

Dell U2711
http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2010/test-dell-u2711.html

It has a couple of small issues but is a good monitor. Only average for gaming and movies, due to the naturally slower panel and missing customization functions.
"B", but in the 1000€ league. Sounds like a damn good work monitor up to semi-professional graphics jobs.

What size monitor are you currently using?

Now using HP w2207. To upgrade, two good candidates in term of price and quality would be either an e-ips panel Dell U2311h, or a more expensive U2410 with premium ips panel. But those two offer not much increment in size although the viewing angle is very good.

And so i looked at 27" monitors; the Samsung's 27s seem cheap, a TN panel good for gaming but with limited viewing angle (i like to lay down while watching movie on comfort chair or bed).

I have two 24" monitors at work. Granted I am not using them for gaming or movies, but for everything else, they are more than large enough, almost too big. I think any bigger and it would be hard to use sitting so close.

I tried to get real experience by testing one at a computer store but the biggest size available only up to 24". I only assumed that a 27 inchers would be good for movie watching. And many suggested we sit about arms length from a 22 - 24" screens - how about a 27 inchers (resolution 1900*1080)?

TBH I think its sometimes better to save the cash and put it towards a big screen TV and us that.

I agree with Lucky Day. Are you really intending to spend that much time watching movies on your PC? If you're worried about comfort (and it sounds like you are), then focus more on the gaming and web surfing aspects of your new monitor.

I still have my 20 inch Dell that I paid like $700 dollars many yrs back.I went to buy a 24in from Bestbuy but when I got home with it the picture was terrible sitting next to my Dell.I mean I was shocked and felt so depressed LOL it was that big of a difference.

I come to find the Dell I have is an IPS and its now hard for me to look at something that is not IPS.I would spend the money and buy a high quality IPS monitor...I like Dell as this monitor I have and still many yrs later looks super vibrant color wise with the solid view from all angles that IPS are known for.If I would purchase I would buy the 24in Dell IPS for around 500 and change.27 runs a good 800 from dell though u can probably find another brand as good for cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom