a new rig, what video card should I get?

I really need some help with my new graphics card. The fan creates a lot of noise which makes it very annoying to have my computer on. Do you perhaps have any suggestions on how to solve the problem (other than changing that card to my old graphics card again)?

A couple of specialized manufacturers offer replacement coolers for the most popular graphics cards, or more precise for the usual standard layout for boards based on certain chipsets. Most card makers stick to this so called "reference design".
These special coolers are usually very silent and highly efficient. A typical price would be 20-30$.

It should be obvious that you should have thought about noise before deciding on a new card. Buying a stock unit with (relatively) silent cooling would have been a better choice.

edit:
Another options is to install a tweaking tool for graphics cards and use it to make your fan run slower and maybe underclock the card while running 2D applications.

You lose your warranty in both cases. Can you still return the card and buy another one?

Last edited:
A couple of specialized manufacturers offer replacement coolers for the most popular graphics cards, or more precise for the usual standard layout for boards based on certain chipsets. Most card makers stick to this so called "reference design".
These special coolers are usually very silent and highly efficient. A typical price would be 20-30$.

I think I'll try this option if software control isn't possible. They seem very cheap.

It should be obvious that you should have thought about noise before deciding on a new card. Buying a stock unit with (relatively) silent cooling would have been a better choice.

We live in 2007, so I did think that low noise wouldn't be a problem so I didn't take it into consideration. But obviously I should have.
Even in plain Windows it's loud.

Thank you for the help, Gorath.

Back
Top Bottom