Diablo III - story

codename47

Watcher
I don't get it. You destroyed all the soulstones. How could have Diablo returned?

And how old is Deckard Cain? :D

I'm not an expert on lore, but I think the soulstones were an attempt to trap the prime evils, not their actual souls. I think they needed to be destroyed as they sort of backfired and acted more as a safe house and focus for them from which they could corrupt the world around them. Destroying them did not kill the prime evils, just dispersed their essence, so to speak, from the world of Sanctuary. Or something like that. :) I'm not sure the prime evils can actually be killed once and for all. Except maybe in Hell by an angel.

:D

It's Diablo, story is optional. ;)

:lol:

That's how I've seen it as well, more or less.

EVERYTHING is reduced to its absolute minumum in this game :

- social interaction
- in-game lore
- towns inhabitated by non-monsters
- number of friendly NPCs
- story
- everything is reduced into combat as the ONLY way of interaction (except for friendly towns)

:lol:

That's how I've seen it as well, more or less.

EVERYTHING is reduced to its absolute minumum in this game :

- social interaction
- in-game lore
- towns inhabitated by non-monsters
- number of friendly NPCs
- story
- everything is reduced into combat as the ONLY way of interaction (except for friendly towns)

It's a common misconception that all Diablo is, is a click-fest. Well it's not. It's actually got a pretty interesting story imo. And Diablo 3 is bound to be the most lore-intense of the series. But at it's core it's a item collecting game where you try to build the most optimum/viable/fun/crazy builds and try to survive the different difficulties of the game. All set in a very cool universe imo. With cool cinematics to boot. :D

It's a common misconception that all Diablo is, is a click-fest. Well it's not. It's actually got a pretty interesting story imo. And Diablo 3 is bound to be the most lore-intense of the series. But at it's core it's a item collecting game where you try to build the most optimum/viable/fun/crazy builds and try to survive the different difficulties of the game. All set in a very cool universe imo. With cool cinematics to boot. :D

What?! Heck, no. Just no. Tastes are tastes, and that's perfectly understandable, but don't come and tell us that "It's a common misconception that all Diablo is, is a click-fest": in fact, it IS a click fest. Period. Whatever is the reason you need to go clicking. Stories in this type of game have always been some type of contour, even if you find them interesting.

I agree. I thought the first 2 Diablo stories were very cool. The game fed my need for a narrative at the time, however, as you mentioned the game feeds the need of being a lootfest first and foremost. That's what Diablo is about to me; dungeon diving and looting. Oh, and character advancement. The Diablo games really nail those aspects of RPGs. I certainly wouldn't label it as just a "click-fest", but there is a lot of clicking I guess.

As for Diablo 3's story, I also imagine it's going to be the most lore-intense story of the series. I'm sure they have come up with some interesting enough reason as to why Diablo has returned. We just don't know what it is until we play the game...

What?! Heck, no. Just no. Tastes are tastes, and that's perfectly understandable, but don't come and tell us that "It's a common misconception that all Diablo is, is a click-fest": in fact, it IS a click fest. Period. Whatever is the reason you need to go clicking. Stories in this type of game have always been some type of contour, even if you find them interesting.

Yeah, tastes are tastes. And by your logic you could say that every game is more-or-less a click-fest. Whether there's plenty of clicking or less of it. Heck, by your logic an fps would be a clickfest.

What I meant with the common misconception remark was that there are plenty of people who see a gameplay video of it, and go: that's just mindless hack&slash. Without even seeing the narrative on which that fast-paced gameplay is done on. It's not anything mind-blowing. But it's got it's own feel and I enjoy it. Of course I'm a huge fan of the cinematics that Blizzard pumps out, so that alone is reason enough for me.

And it might be pretty easy and "mindless" at start, but once you get to the later stages/difficulties it gets a lot more challenging.

Yeah, tastes are tastes. And by your logic you could say that every game is more-or-less a click-fest. Whether there's plenty of clicking or less of it. Heck, by your logic an fps would be a clickfest.

What I meant with the common misconception remark was that there are plenty of people who see a gameplay video of it, and go: that's just mindless hack&slash. Without even seeing the narrative on which that fast-paced gameplay is done on. It's not anything mind-blowing. But it's got it's own feel and I enjoy it.

I'd go one step further and say the narrative of the first Diablo was mind blowing at the time. I know my little mind was blown when I played that game for the first time many years ago. The characters like King Leoric, the Butcher, Lazarus, Diablo himself; gave me nightmares. And the story was just great. I don't have as fond of memories for Diablo 2 because I only ever played the multiplayer in that game and I don't believe we ever finished the game. But the original Diablo? Oh yeah, that game rocked, story and all.

I'd go one step further and say the narrative of the first Diablo was mind blowing at the time. I know my little mind was blown when I played that game for the first time many years ago. The characters like King Leoric, the Butcher, Lazarus, Diablo himself; gave me nightmares. And the story was just great. I don't have as fond of memories for Diablo 2 because I only ever played the multiplayer in that game and I don't believe we ever finished the game. But the original Diablo? Oh yeah, that game rocked, story and all.

Yeah, it was pretty cool and atmospheric as hell. I personally enjoyed D2 more, story and all. I absolutely loved the cinematics. The meeting between the 3 Prime Evils at the end of chapter 3 was amazing. And it was interesting since it was all seen through the eyes of a secondary character that just happened to be there, Marius.

Back
Top Bottom