Civilization 5

The Total War series is a different matter, it seems. The combat is less the focus than in most RTS games; there's a lot of political stuff going on, as well as economic.

I even tried a run in Medieval: Total War without going to war at all. Didn't last very long before I was forced into war against the Holy Roman Empire (Germany). Hint for Germans; don't start wars on two fronts. By the end of it, I held most of Northern France, as well as much of the Northern HRE territory. All because they over-stretched themselves, and fought Poland, Hungary, Italy, France, and England (me) at one time.

I play the Total War games without the battles. I suck at (and hate) RTS but I like the turn based strategy part ok.

None played Europa Universalis series? WOA !!!!!

Far better than anything total war (no tactical battles tho)

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27237/Opinion_Power_and_Disorder_in_Europa_Universalis_III.php

I bought it a few months ago, it's in my queue of games to play. I only have to finish Kings Bounty 2, Dragon Age: Origins, Elven Legacy (on the PC) and on the PS2: Mana Khemia 2 and Ar Tonelico 2. Then after that happens, and if nothing else comes up with high priority (like, for example, a beta invite to SW:TOR or FF XIV, or Drakensang 2), it'd be a tough decision on what to get from my queue... Europa Universalis 3, Gothic 1-3 (second attempt), 1701 expansion, ... and a few others that escape my mind :)

And knowing is half the battle! G.I. Joe!

:p Nice find, it's always interesting to see where names come from.

I do know that - because my mother's family also has the name of "Meier". ;)
I had always wondered where this name did come from, untiol I did some research. ;)

Another name I have in my family is "Lachmann", with the ch spoken like in "Loch Ness" (Nessie ;) ). This is a rather "telling name", meaning "laugh-man".
Late last year I learned through an article about an actress that this name has travelled into the U.S. as well. ;)

None played Europa Universalis series? WOA !!!!!

Far better than anything total war (no tactical battles tho)

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27237/Opinion_Power_and_Disorder_in_Europa_Universalis_III.php

I finally got to try EU (3). It is very deep, but not really to my taste. Problem is, one of the things I love about these games is starting from nothing and growing my little town into an empire, but in EU it's already all settled. I tried playing a smallish country and got wasted in like 2 years (I didn't even attack, then France destroyed me).
I might give it another try, but one of the major selling points for me in turn based strategy games like Civilization and HoMM is gone (the growing from nothing part).

I finally got to try EU (3). It is very deep, but not really to my taste. Problem is, one of the things I love about these games is starting from nothing and growing my little town into an empire, but in EU it's already all settled. I tried playing a smallish country and got wasted in like 2 years (I didn't even attack, then France destroyed me).
I might give it another try, but one of the major selling points for me in turn based strategy games like Civilization and HoMM is gone (the growing from nothing part).

Starting as a minor next to France equals with your Daelish elf in DAO facing the final boss instead of some running humans in the first cut scene of the game; you have to be really good to survive the first hit.

EU series are tough to master and sometimes becoming big doesn't secure your dominance since a couple of bad events together with 2-3 bad choices can turn your mighty empire into ash .

Last edited:
2K Games and Valve have announced that Sid Meier's Civilization V will utilise the full range of Steamworks tools, thereby making the digital release exclusive to Steam. Scheduled to launch this September, the Standard Edition will set you back $49.99/€49.99/£29.99, while the Digital Deluxe Edition, including an exclusive scenario, goes for an inflated $59.99/€59.99/£39.99:

linky

I am not paying for this

thereby making the digital release exclusive to Steam.

I wonder whether there'll be a non-digital release, too.

And whether it'll contain "extra scenarios", too.

Back
Top Bottom