Gothic Gothic 1 Mage Learning Points

Like I said, 1h is a matter of getting the first 1h skill so you can actually do combos. Basically, if you're still wielding your 1h weapon in both hands, you should find a trainer and spend 10 points on 1h. I prefer Cord in the new camp, as he's cheaper than the guy in the old camp.

Something to consider about mage learning points…

You can increase your mana right from the first level up and not invest any exp' in either melee or bow skills, just mana increase. The axe and the ring found freely in the game will get you to chapter four easily without melee or bow skill increases. A further magic scroll found in the game will let you destroy a magical golum and retrieve a heart which will let you destroy most beasts. In sequential increments further rings and amulets will boost your skills to enable use of the other weapons and gain the other hearts. You can, if you wish, even clear the game world of all living things. all undead, all orcs, swamp sharks etc' with magic only - totally dependant and subject to the quest links and storyline triggers via the chapter changes. This means getting to chapter four with just magic increases. At Chapter four when losing the golums hearts to Xardas, you will have much magical power of you own.

So why even bother about distribution of exp into combat skills at all?

When you become a mage and quickly reach the higher circles (because you have stored your exp') you will further realise that there is no need to invest in any weapon skills at all right up to the game ending and completion as a pure mage.

Edit:
To play as a purest possible form of mage in gothic using no combat or melee weapons at all would mean getting the ice golums heart at the game start.

Last edited:
Hello again to all you old timers :)

Wulf is correct and I've played mage only many times as it is my favorite. If you search youtube for TheWonderer's vids on Gothic, such as speedrun, you can learn to beat the game MANY ways and even in less than an hour if you so choose. If it is your first play through, please avoid those vids! TRUST ME! Avoid them! Just enjoy the game because your first play is the best.

I don't remember if it was here or at the dot, but I did a post outlining Mage play.

I read earlier in this thread that some areas should be avoided as a low level, but if you know how, some of these areas can get you some serious XP fast....one being the area outside the entrance to the orc temple. Ummm....slow down you animal, don't try to cross the bridge lol. I won't post more about it in your thread as not to highjack it. I prolly already posted it here somewhere, but if you need the info start a new spoilers thread and I'll chime in.

Well I finally finished it! Thanks for all the help folks.

Had enough learning points to max mana, and strength and get the sixth circle which, it turns out, I hardly used. Lots of kiting made is mostly unnecessary except for the last undead shaman.

The only thing I regret is not learning 2-handed.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom