The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

While Electric Wizard is pretty stonerish lyric-wise, I have to admit, they are so absolutely BRUTALLY doomy, they just sound like a huge boulder rolling along, crushing everything in it's path. I just gotta respect that sludge, simply cannot deny their awesomeness.

As far as Soundgraden goes, I have always thought that they were the best of the Grunge Wave. They didnt sound like the atypical Nirvana/STP/Pearl Jam pack of bands, they always sounded different to me. Pearl Jam is easily one of my most absolutely hated bands of all time, I cannot stand their music, their persona, just the sight of Eddie Vedder makes me cringe. Just thought I'd add that little tidbit of Sam Trivia. Chris Cornell's voice is awesome indeed, what a great scream, and when dual-tracked with him screaming very faintly in the back, such as in "Mailman" it's a hell of an effect. SuperUnknown I would say is my favorite cd by them, favorite tracks are the aofrmentioned "Mailman" and "4th of July". SuperUnknown is one of those rare cds in which every.single.song.is.good. Period

Unfortunately, those two Battlelore vids are all we have = [

Pearl Jam is easily one of my most absolutely hated bands of all time, I cannot stand their music, their persona, just the sight of Eddie Vedder makes me cringe.
While I like some of their stuff, I feel pretty much the same about Eddie. Heh.
My favorite grunge band were Alice in Chains, my favorite non-grunge bands of the same period were Faith No More and House of Pain (I have quite an assortment of Hip Hop and Rap CDs from the early Nineties). Needless to say I also like (current band) Taproot who sound a bit like FNM meets AiC (what wonder, they are - or at least were - produced by Jerry Cantrell). I am not all that excited about their latest album, though, since they seem to have lost their FNM touch.

As far as Soundgraden goes, I have always thought that they were the best of the Grunge Wave. They didnt sound like the atypical Nirvana/STP/Pearl Jam pack of bands, they always sounded different to me. Pearl Jam is easily one of my most absolutely hated bands of all time, I cannot stand their music, their persona, just the sight of Eddie Vedder makes me cringe. Just thought I'd add that little tidbit of Sam Trivia. Chris Cornell's voice is awesome indeed, what a great scream, and when dual-tracked with him screaming very faintly in the back, such as in "Mailman" it's a hell of an effect. SuperUnknown I would say is my favorite cd by them, favorite tracks are the aofrmentioned "Mailman" and "4th of July". SuperUnknown is one of those rare cds in which every.single.song.is.good. Period[

I agree about Vedder: I used to love Pearl Jam and I thought Stone Gossard was a fine songwriter but since Vedder's bloated ego took over the band isnt the same anymore, I cant stand the man's obsession with politics, saving the whale, the rainforest, abortion, etc. Who gives a fuck, really ? Ironically, the album Lost Dogs, which is a collection of B sides and leftovers -- left over by the prima donna Vedder -- contains some of the band's best stuff.
Oh and Superunknown is fantastic.

Battlelore - Sword's Song

Now Im on a Battlelore kick, here we go, doing all 3 cds of theirs in a row!

I cant believe I forgot all about AIC, "Dirt" is one of my favorite cds in the old collection. Just about worn that thing out! Then again, I dont really consider AIC truly part of the "Grunge Wave" of bands purrsonally, their "Dirt" album in particular is far more a gloomy metal in my opinion than any of the other aforementioned grungy post-punk like bands. "Facelift" has some great moments such as "Sea of Sorrow", "Sunshine", and of course the classic "Man in the Box", but it isnt the true gloomy metal powerhouse that is Dirt. That is their defining cd in my opinion, and a true classic. Again, every song is good.

I shunned AIC initially, embarassingly enough, because of the name. It sounded like a glam metal or something group name to me, but then when I finally gave them a listen I was totally floored! The harmonizing is unbelievable, one hell of a band in their prime.

If you want to hear post-AIC Layne Staley that is really good, I recomend his Mad Season side project. They only made one cd, "Above", but it's excellent IMHO.

Alice in Chains was a strange experience for me. I heard "Man in the Box" on MTV (maybe even on 120 Minutes) and didn't care for it, but that driving bass line finally sucked me in. As various singles were released over the years, I could listen to most of them and actually liked several. So I finally went out and bought the greatest hits cd. Listened to it about twice. Just never pulled it out of the rack. Stone Temple Pilots would probably fall into the same situation although I haven't bought their collection as yet.

@Sammy- glad you enjoyed EW. Most gazers seem to have a strange "secondary genre" (mine is new wave), so there's some crazy stuff that pops up on our "other genres" sub-forum. I'll keep an eye, or ear as it were, out for everyone.

Too tired this morning, so my mind is a blank slate. No tunes swirling around asking to be shared...

Currently listening to "Woodhenge" by Mike Oldfield.

Very unusual piece, like most of his music anyway. ;)

I wasn't sure if I should put this here or in the daily smile. I may just do both. ;) Click Middle Aged Women.

Now, now, let's play nice. Turn the other cheek. Have a Coke and a smile. Sing Kumbaiya (this is a music thread). If y'all don't behave, I'm going to link that "Milkshake" song and we'll all be scarred for life.

And now for something completely different.

Sorry, these folks are so obscure they probably never made a ripple on the internet, so it's safe to say there's no links to be had.
"Fuschia" by Evescape

Edith puts in a little extra info here. An internet ripple, but still no sound.

Last edited:
I wasn't sure if I should put this here or in the daily smile. I may just do both. ;) Click Middle Aged Women.

I think this seems even more appropriate after all that. ;)

Listening to HIM - Razorblade Romance

Who? HIM. who? Nevermind! :biggrin:

Speaking of middle age women, I saw the most captivating lady at the place I went for lunch a few minutes ago. Looked early 40ish, but just an absolute stunner, I was fumbling over my tounge like a 6th grader in love with his teacher. Totally disarmed me, there was no smooth operations whatsoever going on for this tiger. She was working the counter at this sandwich place (i think she owns the joint from some things she said), unfortunately I was getting my stuff to go (as I was appointed the sandwich lunch go-fer today at work). She even gave me a punchcard with a couple extra punches.

I havent seen such eyes in years, they were like gems, and this dame sure knew how to use them. Truth be told, I'm not an "eye man". You look into the eyes, and yes they are nice, yes she has two of them and theyre pointing in the same direction, yes she isnt afraid to make eye contact, and so on and so forth, but arent normally the attribute that I'm initially ga-ga over when it comes to women. It's part of the overall facial package. "Gabriela" however, my lord this woman could probably make me get down and bark like a dog if she wanted to with those eyes. That's saying something, because me and dogs are like water and oil, we dont mix. At all. For obvious and not-so-obvious reasons ='.'=

I see myself volunteering for many more sandwich runs. She certainly has "the power", in spades..

Last edited:
Mrs. Tiger would probably not approve, Sammy.

*currently listening to Sammy dig a hole*

Well, color me stupid. I thought you had already ended any hope of happiness like so many of us here. You can usually ID us pretty easily--kinda feisty, but no real will to live. :p

Tonight's song

Last edited:
Just back up after the Noro flu, and what do I see? I missed the only fight on these forums in months. Anyway, it's over, and I'd like to share what I was just listening to. Unfortunately, I didn't find a clip... of Manowar's 'Carry On' :).

listening to My Dying Bride - Turn Loose the Swans

You didnt miss anything Jaz. It was just your basic blustery type 1 nazi/klansman analogy and comparisons. Anyone who blinked while scrolling, missed it.

If you don't care enough to try to comprehend what you're reading, you might not be the best person to interpret it for others. Still Orphans.

It wasn't my intention to rekindle the debate. I'll split the thread and push the debate part over to the politics and religion forum:

Link

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom